A Fantasy of 40,000 Warhammers

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ThenDoctor

ThenDoctor

• Members
  • 808 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:25 AM

While some of you may enjoy the 3rd edition of Warhammer Fantasy I just wasn't a fan. Not sure what it was per say, but I couldn't get into it. As a result I still play 2nd Edition when my compatriots feel like dealing with the job system, which is rare.

However a friend of mine brought up the idea of using Dark Heresy just in the fantasy setting. While there are obviously a few limitations, in terms of race and diversity of jobs at least, I thought it would be a good idea. At least a starting point.

However the more I looked into the matter and there are just so few things I could use in the fantasy setting from the 40K setting in terms of equipment which is pretty obvious. Has anyone converted any items from the Fantasy universe (2nd or 3rd edition) into 40K or even vice versa?

All help or input is appreciated.

I've made an expanded Divinations table for Dark Heresy Second Edition.

Find it here: http://community.fan...general-thread/

#2 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:51 AM

Well, 40k also features Feral and Feudal World - and items which might be in use there - which pretty much means worlds that might be very similar to the one from Warhammer Fantasy. Indeed, was it not suggested at some time that the Fantasy world would be a planet in the 40k setting .. just one of the many lost human colonies that fell victim to Chaos and Orks and subsequently degenerated into its current condition?

The Inquisitor's Handbook contains a section on Feral and Feudal Worlds, so that might be a good starting point. The Core Rulebook also already has a lot of feudal stuff - just throw out the "Primitive" rule, because it's useless when everyone is wearing Primitive Armour.

That being said, perhaps you'd be better off using the rules from Only War? You would probably have a much easier time writing careers and backgrounds simply because that system uses a slightly more "freeform" approach, without strict advancement schemes. Just replace the various classes with a more fantasy-like set of archetypes, and swap regiments for countries and organisations.

You'd still need suitable items, but you can either extrapolate them from Only War, or ... well, usually I advice against just assimilating stuff from other game lines, but as I have a feeling they'd be fairly similar, I suppose you could take the stuff from Inquisitor's Handbook.

current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter -- debriefed), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors -- KIA), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose -- assassinated), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia -- retired), Taleera "Raven" Nephran (Hive Ganger & Inquisitorial Assassin -- mindwiped)

#3 Kainus

Kainus

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:26 PM

Only War basically has everything you would need in order to do this, especially if you wanted to run an Imperial Army campaign. 

"The union of art and action is death." -Yukio Mishima
Roleplaying games are the most tragic artform.
They represent the death of the folkloric tradition, the understanding that beuacracy touches our identity in ways that the individual can not seperate from themselves. That we can become abstracted into statistics so easily, yet we still demand to tell stories in light of this- because of this. The distinction between human and system has become seamless.
When we roleplay together, we mourn ourselves- how we can no longer communicate without a defined social system- be it race, gender, class, consumer, employer, Game Master, or player. We mourn our human synthesis with systems by employing them to tell stories. It helps us embrace our modern humanity like no other artform.

#4 Vorzakk

Vorzakk

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:44 PM

Like you, I didn't care much for 3rd edition and decided to stick with 2nd.  What exactly is it that your compatriots are finding to be lacking with that system?

#5 ThenDoctor

ThenDoctor

• Members
  • 808 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:54 PM

In third? My compatriots don't have an issue with it. I do. Don't like the core of the system.

2nd edition, not lacking just the job system is a hassle sometimes.

#6 Drop Bear 2.0

Drop Bear 2.0

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:47 AM

My group may be extending our gaming rotation to fit in a Mordhime based Fantasy game. we nolonger have access to the books but we played 1st ed WFRP many (many) years ago. we too are unimpressed with 3rd with it's custom dice and cards.

we are wondering if we should round up some 1st ed books from regional game stores 2nd hand sections or get PDF's of 2nd ed?

#7 ThenDoctor

ThenDoctor

• Members
  • 808 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

Never played 1st Ed, but 2nd Ed is quite enjoyable past some things that can slow it down. You do sort of need to plan out your path through the job system if you want to get anywhere particular.

#8 Vorzakk

Vorzakk

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

2nd edition, not lacking just the job system is a hassle sometimes.

I haven't actually been running it that long at all; how does it become a hassle?

My group may be extending our gaming rotation to fit in a Mordhime based Fantasy game. we nolonger have access to the books but we played 1st ed WFRP many (many) years ago. we too are unimpressed with 3rd with it's custom dice and cards.

we are wondering if we should round up some 1st ed books from regional game stores 2nd hand sections or get PDF's of 2nd ed?

I haven't run 1st edition but I've flipped through some of the books (and I have a copies of Sold Down the River and Warhammer City because, to my knowledge, 2nd Edition never did books on Marienburg or Middenheim).  1st edition seemed pretty solid, but 2nd edition took a big step away from D&D (for example, dropping alignments) and towards Warhammer Fantasy Battles (arcane magic, for example, is divided up into the same eight lores).  2nd edition also seems to have a nicer range of sourcebooks available for it (I only wish they'd covered Estalia, Tilea, and maybe Araby in the same detail with which they covered the Empire, Brettonia, Kislev, and the Border Principalities). 

#9 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:28 AM

1st edition seemed pretty solid, but 2nd edition took a big step away from D&D (for example, dropping alignments)

Interestingly, That's more of a step away from Michael Moorcock and his Eternal Champion -setting's concept of Law vs Chaos. Moorcock also seems to be the origin of the eight pointed arrow of Chaos.
And since that's so entrenched in the setting, that's not much of a step.

and towards Warhammer Fantasy Battles (arcane magic, for example, is divided up into the same eight lores).

With many spells even having the same names indeed - except not having the same effects (mostly due to scale I think) and battle wizards being explicitly of a different magnitude. :-/

#10 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

Well, 40k also features Feral and Feudal World - and items which might be in use there - which pretty much means worlds that might be very similar to the one from Warhammer Fantasy. Indeed, was it not suggested at some time that the Fantasy world would be a planet in the 40k setting .. just one of the many lost human colonies that fell victim to Chaos and Orks and subsequently degenerated into its current condition?

I think the suggestion was that the Warhammer World was a world lost inside a Warp Storm somewhere, possibly within the Eye of Terror. There was also a suggestion that Sigmar may have been one of the Primarchs. However, this has subsequently been disavowed and the two settings are no longer meant to be connected, even if they share a lot of the same stuff.

#11 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:30 AM

That's what I recall hearing, too... Never understood why they "disconnected" the two settings, though. It still seems like everything would fit together!  -_-

Does anyone know where this was stated, by the way? With this stuff in particular, I like to take a look at the original source - I've seen too many "urban rumours" in the 40k fandom sourced in nothing but a misunderstanding and the usual internet game of telephone, where one statement is repeated in a slightly different way every time it gets posted ...

current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter -- debriefed), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors -- KIA), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose -- assassinated), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia -- retired), Taleera "Raven" Nephran (Hive Ganger & Inquisitorial Assassin -- mindwiped)

#12 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:02 AM

It might just be one of those things that are implied just by ceasing any cross-interaction (such as Khorne granting his champions bolters and so on).

Beats me. I think they just ceased with it around the same time they killed off the Squats. I think it was part of the move to separate the universes because they (for some reason) really didn't want Warhammer 40k to be labeled "Warhammer.. in space".

...and then they made Necrons Tomb Kings... in space.
  • Lynata likes this

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#13 Vorzakk

Vorzakk

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:14 PM

That's what I recall hearing, too... Never understood why they "disconnected" the two settings, though. It still seems like everything would fit together!  -_-

I read somewhere that it had something to do with licensing, though I've never been able to verify that from a reliable source.

I think it was part of the move to separate the universes because they (for some reason) really didn't want Warhammer 40k to be labeled "Warhammer.. in space".

...and then they made Necrons Tomb Kings... in space.

*sigh* Yes they did.

#14 Drop Bear 2.0

Drop Bear 2.0

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:13 PM

Ye Oldie GW associates (play testers, folks on the DTF Mailing list and staff at their affiliate companies like Citadel) used to drop rather blunt hints at Cons. they put the kibosh on it not long after 40K 2nd ed came out as they where putting together the Dark Melinmum boxed set.

#15 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:32 AM

If it was roughly about the time of 2nd edition (I thought it was later, more when 3rd edition came out, but that was purely me guessing), I think the reason might have been partly because the two worlds were very malleable and fairly undefined until about 40k 2nd edition. The Warhammer setting was only really a big thing from 3rd edition and WFRP onwards (I think the initial 1st edition stuff had no background, and in 2nd edition it was only a backdrop, with little detail given), which was about the same time 40k was released. With the similar themes and background elements it would have made sense there would be links made between the two, deliberately or otherwise. As the two settings developed more over 3rd & 1st edition they become more distinct, and with 2nd & 4th edition they decided to make clear they were separate.

Though licensing issues also makes sense. If they wanted to give out licences for the two separately if Warhammer was officially part of the 40k setting someone buying the license could just say "Well, the two are one and the same, so I only need the one licence."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS