Photo

This may be unlikely, but I'd love . . .

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 KnightErrantJR

KnightErrantJR

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:40 PM

Now that canon has been redefined and we don't know everything that we used to know, but previously existing things might be reintroduced, I'd love to see an Age of Rebellion adventure that had Rebel agents raiding the Maw facility.

It may not be the place where the Death Star was born, but it could still be a damn hard to get to superweapon testing facility, and that could really make for an over the top Rebel mission.

Now all we need is for Fantasy Flight to be interested in doing the adventure, and the Story Group to be interested in letting them do an adventure in the Maw and redefine it for the current era.  Simple, right?  ;)

"The things that we love tell us what we are."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

#2 MrDodger

MrDodger

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:20 AM

I don't know that the story group will get involved in the FFG stuff. It's more likely, given the amount of EU reference across all the products so far, that the whole license will be labelled as "Legends".

I hope so anyway, I don't relish half of what I've developed myself being dismissed as 'not real anymore'!  ;)

#3 swiftdraw

swiftdraw

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

I hope so anyway, I don't relish half of what I've developed myself being dismissed as 'not real anymore'!  ;)

In your campaign, its your bloody universe, who gives a flip what is 'canon' in that setting! Ryloth is now canonically shown to be not much more than Tatooine v2.0 with The Clone Wars, but in my campaign its still the old tidally locked version. So I wouldn't worry about what is considered 'real' when it comes to this game. Unless you're waiting for something official released from FFG, in which case its time to build your homebrewing chops! :D

• Kshatriya and GMmL like this

#4 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:04 PM

Yeah, it'd be pretty cool to see an AoR adventure based around a daring raid to the Maw, particularly if the Alliance brass gets wind of Tarkin having his own personal "think tank" and wanting to shut that down before the Emperor gets his wrinkled mitts on whatever devious weapons of mass destruction they've come up with after the Death Star went kaplooey.

• KnightErrantJR and kaosoe like this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#5 KnightErrantJR

KnightErrantJR

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:48 PM

In your campaign, its your bloody universe, who gives a flip what is 'canon' in that setting! Ryloth is now canonically shown to be not much more than Tatooine v2.0 with The Clone Wars, but in my campaign its still the old tidally locked version. So I wouldn't worry about what is considered 'real' when it comes to this game. Unless you're waiting for something official released from FFG, in which case its time to build your homebrewing chops! :D

Well, it actually kind of matters in this case, because I'm making a wish list of what I want officially produced by the talented folks at Fantasy Flight.

#6 KnightErrantJR

KnightErrantJR

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

I don't know that the story group will get involved in the FFG stuff. It's more likely, given the amount of EU reference across all the products so far, that the whole license will be labelled as "Legends".

I was going by a response that Jennifer Headle from Lucasfilm gave regarding Fantasy Flight's RPGs, which indicated that anything that comes out from this point has to be okayed by the Story Group.  And I apologize if my original post sounds at all dismissive, as I didn't intend it to sound that way. I was only pointing out that things that were off limits because of established EU lore may no longer be off limits since not as much is set in stone as once was.

#7 swiftdraw

swiftdraw

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:35 PM

Source? Or did you ask the question via electronic means (e-mail, twitter, etc) and she respond? Is it an internal FFG story group or Disney's? I'm not doubting you, I'm just very curious on this.  If it's Disney's I wouldn't hold your breath on getting this adventure path, you'd be better off trying to concoct something yourself. I beleive the official line is any officially published material from hence forth is Canon, and therefore I seriously, seriously doubt this is going to happen. However, I could very well be wrong, but I really can't see this happening in an official adventure path.

Edit: After some research, it looks like offical line is it has to be Disney approved. To refer to the OP: Yeah. Simple.

Edited by swiftdraw, 12 May 2014 - 08:53 PM.

#8 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

Actually of all the stuff likely to survive, RPG materials are pretty high on the list. Remember a BIG part of the canon reorganization is about allowing George and new screenwriters the freedom to operate. RPG materials don't impede that freedom, and usually encourage it (just targeting GMs instead of screenwriters, though for this point there's not much difference). RPG stuff while not exactly A-canon, won't really need the Legends tag either simply because they are (usually) written with the entire purpose of having other writers mine them for ideas and elements, while allowing unused elements to just be non disruptive stuff that was "just off camera" or not really critical in the grand scheme of things.

Why in the official release from Lucasfilm is actually calls out old WEG elements as being used in Rebels because it was a bunch of good ideas just waiting for the right canon story to come along and feature it.

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#9 artteach

artteach

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:55 PM

A would rather they just place a legends tag on all of FFG and let them have the ability to do what they want.  If you read anything from the WotC Saga edition, one of things the lament is the long amount of time it would take to get anything approved.  Anything that was new or different seemed to need George himself to come from on high and personally bless it.  I would rather have the situation WEG had when they could go in different directions and try strange new things.  So make it legends and unleash the imaginations of FFG to run wild.

• Lord Zack, RogueCorona and swiftdraw like this

GM of the PbP DarkStryder Campaign at www.dailydoserpg.com

#10 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

A would rather they just place a legends tag on all of FFG and let them have the ability to do what they want.  If you read anything from the WotC Saga edition, one of things the lament is the long amount of time it would take to get anything approved.  Anything that was new or different seemed to need George himself to come from on high and personally bless it.  I would rather have the situation WEG had when they could go in different directions and try strange new things.  So make it legends and unleash the imaginations of FFG to run wild.

Actually, the approval process for WotC's Star Wars books (at least by the time of Saga Edition) was generally pretty quick, with much of the time needed for approvals already accounted for in the book's development.  The only timing issue WotC had was with the Force Unleashed Campaign Guide, and that wasn't approvals but rather the book being part of the whole multi-media tie-in for the Force Unleashed video game, which got delayed due to LucasArts' inability to met their deadlines.  The main reason there weren't a lot of Star Wars sourcebooks under the various WotC systems was that Star Wars was a secondary license for them, and thus didn't get the kind of attention that fans felt it deserved.

And while we've just heard about it, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole "Legends" set-up wasn't something that those who needed to know (such as FFG) weren't on some level already aware of.  Even then, I'm sure there will still be an approvals process, as that's the norm for any licensed product.

Besides, you want to see an example of horrid approvals process, you don't have to look much further than BioWare and their extensive delays the approval of Set 3 for Green Ronin's Dragon Age RPG.  Granted some of the delays have been on GR's part, but when they've had to wait nearly a year to hear back from BioWare... yeah, sometimes dealing with licensed properties can suck.  Cubicle7 apparently had similarly issues with their One Ring RPG in dealing with the Tolkien estate (including having to yank PDF copies off their online store and PDF retailers such as DriveThruRPG).

• KnightErrantJR likes this

#11 KnightErrantJR

KnightErrantJR

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

Actually, the approval process for WotC's Star Wars books (at least by the time of Saga Edition) was generally pretty quick, with much of the time needed for approvals already accounted for in the book's development.  The only timing issue WotC had was with the Force Unleashed Campaign Guide, and that wasn't approvals but rather the book being part of the whole multi-media tie-in for the Force Unleashed video game, which got delayed due to LucasArts' inability to met their deadlines.  The main reason there weren't a lot of Star Wars sourcebooks under the various WotC systems was that Star Wars was a secondary license for them, and thus didn't get the kind of attention that fans felt it deserved.

And while we've just heard about it, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole "Legends" set-up wasn't something that those who needed to know (such as FFG) weren't on some level already aware of.  Even then, I'm sure there will still be an approvals process, as that's the norm for any licensed product.

Besides, you want to see an example of horrid approvals process, you don't have to look much further than BioWare and their extensive delays the approval of Set 3 for Green Ronin's Dragon Age RPG.  Granted some of the delays have been on GR's part, but when they've had to wait nearly a year to hear back from BioWare... yeah, sometimes dealing with licensed properties can suck.  Cubicle7 apparently had similarly issues with their One Ring RPG in dealing with the Tolkien estate (including having to yank PDF copies off their online store and PDF retailers such as DriveThruRPG).

I hadn't really remembered many approval issues with Saga.  In fact, if there were, the rather rapid pace that the final few books in the like were published would have been even more noteworthy.

Poor Green Ronin.  Not only had Dragon Age been a challenge, but DC Comics reorganized the whole company, forgot to assign someone to approve their stuff, moved offices to LA, and rebooted the entire multiverse before they finished the DCA books.

Somewhat tangentially, I have a feeling that a lot of "infrastructure" that the Story Team wants to reintroduce will be happening in the first few novels and in Rebels.  Especially in the case of the novels, I don't think it's a matter of the writers saying, "here's my story, what do I have to change," but rather the story group going, "here's what we want you to avoid, and here's what we expressly want to to mention."

I'd say that's probably one of the reasons you have people like John Jackson Miller and James Luceno writing books right off the bad.  I don't think the Story Group is waiting for material to come in to either vote yeah or nay, I think they have a plan and have for a while now.

#12 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

Hmm, I wonder what will happen to Wookiepedia? Will it suddenly be defunct? Suddenly lots of old EU data removed? A pre and post-Legends differentiation forming two different versions of the site?

Edited by Sturn, 15 May 2014 - 05:59 PM.

#13 swiftdraw

swiftdraw

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:20 PM

Hmm, I wonder what will happen to Wookiepedia? Will it suddenly be defunct? Suddenly lots of old EU data removed? A pre and post-Legends differentiation forming two different versions of the site?

They're already labeling stuff 'Legends' or 'Canon' with symbols denoting era.

#14 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

I don't think it's coincidence that FFG is kicking off these CRBs just post Yavin.  I think they wanted to dodge the canon bullet as much as possible.  About the time they have begun to finish pushing F&D splatbooks out the door the first of the new movies  will have premiered, Rebels will have done 2 seasons, and the in between movie will be coming which will provide them ample avenues I'm sure to begin new sourcebooks and adventures with the new material being a factor.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#15 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:07 AM

I don't think it's coincidence that FFG is kicking off these CRBs just post Yavin.  I think they wanted to dodge the canon bullet as much as possible.  About the time they have begun to finish pushing F&D splatbooks out the door the first of the new movies  will have premiered, Rebels will have done 2 seasons, and the in between movie will be coming which will provide them ample avenues I'm sure to begin new sourcebooks and adventures with the new material being a factor.

That's certainly possible, in addition to the fact that the Rebellion Era of the original trilogy remains one of the more iconic settings/time frames of Star Wars, with the Clone Wars really only being more memorable due to how recent it is.  Plus, the Rebellion Era gives players the option of the straight-forward "ragtag band of good guys vs. evil tyrant and his monolithic institution" that proved to be quite successful in WEG's version (of course, WEG only had the Rebellion Era to work with for most of their run).

Then again, FFG has certainly been mining the EU in terms of new weapons, new species, new starships/vehicles, so it's not like they're totally ignoring it.  They've just been very selective of what they've used so far and have thus far avoided any major EU plot elements.  One of the biggest complaints that crops up around Star Wars RPGs (and many RPGs based on licensed properties as well) is that the pre-established heroes have already "done all the important stuff" and thus leaving the PCs with less important stuff to do.  To their credit, FFG has kind of avoided this so far (not that it's stopped all the complainers), but with Age of Rebellion set to put the PCs into the midst of the Galactic Civil War and Force and Destiny on the horizon, that may change.

#16 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

Taking names from the EU is fine, gives people a point of reference without FFG having to commit anything on their own.  In regards to the main iconic characters already having done everything important I think I'd answer that with "who stole the plans to DS1?"  "who stole the location of DS2?" "Let's find out"  

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS