i have question bout the infiltrator

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 pashacordaro420

pashacordaro420

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:36 PM

i have a question about the infiltrator career is it any good.i havent played aor beta but i heared itt like maruader and thief mix and how does it play

#2 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

It's like the Marauder somewhat.  One of the coolest Talents is Improved Stunning Blow.  If you spec your character correctly with lots of Yellows on a roll and can generate Triumphs consistently you can keep a target Staggered which can be a huge benefit.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#3 Lathrop

Lathrop

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

It's really more of a focus on melee combat. The general idea is just incapacitating an opponent (stunning as opposed to killing) with melee, with the help of staggering/knocking them down. This is assisted by Frenzied Attack's upgrading of your melee check to try and hit those Triumphs. Infiltrator doesn't get the kind of defense and brute strength a Marauder gets - but since the idea is to be sneaking around without being noticed at all (or taking out any opposition you DO meet), you're supposed to be traveling with lighter gear and equipment anyways. So to help on that front, you've got things like Defensive Stance and Dodge to try and flat out avoid any damage.

There really isn't too much to help with actual sneaking or anything in terms of talents - Infiltrator's main focus is combat; but Master of Shadows helps to make stealthing around slightly easier. It isn't much compared to other trees like Assassin or Scout where you have multiple ranks of Stalker for tons of Boost Dice, but it helps.

#4 pashacordaro420

pashacordaro420

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:22 PM

yea thats what i wondering im playing chiss bh assassin looking fior that will synergize well with it i was thinkinig going into survivialist. but havnt thought anything else

#5 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:25 PM

Well if you want to be able to beat and stagger people you can do that with just speccing into Gadgeteer.  The whole right column of that spec is hand to hand focused.

#6 Lathrop

Lathrop

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:20 AM

Survivalist would be beneficial if you wanted some minor boosts to stealth, but it's more generally geared towards tracking people down. The only real choice when it comes to getting better at sneaking is Thief, and that's really only useful if your character is the type that's geared towards anything Cunning related (Skullduggery to steal or break locks on doors, Deception to get guards to let you go by).

But yeah, Gadgeteer can be a great way to go if you're trying to focus on melee. You get access to melee damage as strain, Jury Rig and Tinkerer to up the potential of your weapon, Jury Rig to improve whatever armor you wear, and soak and defense boosts from Armor Master. Deadly Accuracy to use on melee as well if the one in Assassin was used on a different combat skill.

If you just want to straight kill people though, Marauder gives the soak and wound increases, more Lethal Blows (the 3 from Marauder combined with the 3 from Assassin, you can have a minimum 10% chance to insta-kill with a critical)

#7 Zar

Zar

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:55 AM

I think the Infiltrator is terrible.  The spec does not grant Stealth which the name of the spec just screams.   (Funny that Slicer does have Stealth) The talents are all strung together like a snake where if you follow one path you will wind up with 2/3s of the tree and the melee based talents are just subpar compared to the ones you can get with the Marauder tree.

All of these are just my opinion but this spec is one of the reasons why I feel like AoR just didn't have the design talent that EotE did.

• HappyDaze likes this

#8 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:08 AM

Infiltrator has Stealth as a Career skill.  There is nothing sub par about Improved Stunning Blow, being able to Stagger an opponent without having to exceed soak potentially for multiple rounds with one shot is far from sub par.

• awayputurwpn, KevynnRedfern, Tear44 and 2 others like this

#9 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:44 AM

I'm just not a fan of it. And I don't think Improved Stunning Blow is very good; generating Triumphs is never something you can ever count on.

Edited by Kshatriya, 08 May 2014 - 08:46 AM.

#10 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:55 AM

If you have 5 yellows, which isn't hard, you have a 50% chance of a Triumph.  5 yellows aren't hard to come by even with a pretty low level character.  A 50% chance of being able to keep a target from performing any actions that turn with a single Triumph is pretty darn good.  Coupled with the ability to inflict Strain with any melee weapon.

#11 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

5 Yellows isn't hard? I mean, it's not impossible, but it's pretty hyper focused. An Infiltrator only gets potentially 1 rank in Melee for free, which increases the XP investment. I dunno. I can't see it as being very reliable, and I'm not sure how you got 50% chance.

I mean it's anecdotal, but I just did rolls of 5Y. 3 had 0 Triumph; 1 had 1 Triumph; 1 had 2 Triumph. As always probability doesn't really mean the dice will go down the way you want.

I don't like how Infiltrator's tag line in the Career section is "finding the secrets" and it has all of 2 Talents (both Tier 5) that would directly help with that. 

Edited by Kshatriya, 08 May 2014 - 09:07 AM.

• RedfordBlade likes this

#12 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:08 AM

Pull up a probability calculator, a 1 in 12 chance repeated 5 times results in about a 50% of generating at least one Triumph.  5 yellows isn't hyper focused at all.  3 skill ranks, a 4 Brawn, a couple ranks of Frenzied Attack, throw in a Destiny point and you are there, and that's not a big hurdle for a pretty modest xp character.  It's not something you are doing at creation but it's by no means hard.

Edited for precision, it's about 42.ish% on 5 yellows, so not quite 50% but it's not far off and 6 puts you over the top.

Edited by 2P51, 08 May 2014 - 09:10 AM.

#13 Zar

Zar

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:45 PM

Infiltrator has Stealth as a Career skill.  There is nothing sub par about Improved Stunning Blow, being able to Stagger an opponent without having to exceed soak potentially for multiple rounds with one shot is far from sub par.

Yes but the point of a spec is for another career to be able to buy into it and get skills that would relate to it. 

Edited by Zar, 08 May 2014 - 02:45 PM.

#14 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

Yes but the point of a spec is for another career to be able to buy into it and get skills that would relate to it. 

So does that make Bounty Hunter Assassin a failure in your eyes because you can't get Range(L) buying it? Outlaw Tech a failure because you don't get Computers?  

The write up in the book says nothing about Stealth.  It says they know how to con and lie (Deception), break into places (Skulduggery), and use hand to hand(Melee).  They are trying to find secrets surreptitiously (Streetwise).  That's what the spec write up discusses.    You may feel they are terrible for whatever reason, but in the spec write up you aren't promised anything that isn't delivered by the tree and skills.

Edited by 2P51, 08 May 2014 - 04:01 PM.

• kaosoe, Tear44, Ranger1060 and 1 other like this

#15 Sylpheed

Sylpheed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

When I think Rebel Infiltrator I think the guys and gals who put on night vision goggles and wetsuit-like sneaking suits and go around doing stealth kills on Stormtroopers.

Rebel_Infiltrator.PNG

mgsvgz_ss_demo_003.jpg

2487291-1581569162-tom-c.jpg

1210963-batman_super.jpg

Course, that was before the mouse did a stealth kill on the EU...

Edited by Sylpheed, 11 May 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#16 dougansf

dougansf

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

I have to agree that the Infiltrator tree does not live up to what I was expecting to see from a Spy Career.  No Talents to boost Stealth or Deception or anything really, other than melee combat (which I think the talents add up to something good, just not what I was expecting).

It says assassin (or evade tank) to me, not Spy.

#17 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

Ummmmm Master of Shadows?............Natural Rogue?............ :huh:..............Clever Solution?.........

Edited by 2P51, 17 July 2014 - 03:12 PM.

• Col. Orange, Ranger1060 and GL309 like this

#18 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,389 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

Ummmmm Master of Shadows?............Natural Rogue?............ :huh:..............Clever Solution?.........

I guess by the interpretation of some, unless a specialization has what is viewed as a "key" skill as part of the Bonus Career skills, it's a failure at it's perceived role.

And to refute an earlier point, Specializations are first and foremost made to work for the Career they are attached to.  Since the Spy Career (to which Infiltrator is attached) provides the Stealth skill already, so there's really not a humongous need to have it listed again for the Infiltrator. Yeah, it'd be nice so that a starting Spy/Infiltrator PC could begin with 2 ranks in Stealth, but it's not mandatory.

Besides, I see the Infiltrator as being less of a "super-uber-sneaky guy" and more of an "attack your target when they least expect it", with the assassins of Assassin's Creed being prime examples of that.  Yes those guys are sneaky, but they're also very adapt close-quarters combatants.  Another angle might be the Winter Soldier from the most recent Captain America movie; he was a capable shot, but he really excelled in close-quarters combat.  Granted, the name of the specialization might be a bit of a misnomer, but since Assassin has already been used in EotE for an entirely different specialization.

• Tear44 likes this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#19 Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

I like it alright, but I do think the "one giant winding line" style of the tree lacks a lot of the meaningful decisions you get from other trees.
  • RedfordBlade likes this

#20 dougansf

dougansf

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:15 PM

All of which are bottom tier, and 2 of which are once per session.

There is nothing to make you better at the skills that you have (therefore setting you apart from anyone else with those skills).

Where are the Bypass Security, Indistinguishable, or Stalker talents in this tree?  The other 2 spy careers have some of those, but you have to go to Ambassador to get Indistinguishable for a boost to your disguise.

I guess I was expecting a James Bond or CIA type spy.

• Col. Orange and RedfordBlade like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS