Let's try to justify a card - Orthanc Guard

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:09 AM

Funny, I could rightfully say the same thing to you.

#22 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:13 AM

Awesome looking Orthanc guard's 2 DEF is something to consider. Not many allies offer that much protection. I don't think his special ability is that great, even if there were more doomed guards, as his stats are only mediocre. There are times, however, when it is cool to have an extra defender when you have an unvinvited guest that tries to attack your heroes directly. He combos nicely with The Seeing-stone, but that's it, mostly.

#23 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:36 AM

He combos nicely with The Seeing-stone, but that's it, mostly.

Seems to me he combos quite well with Gríma´s ability.

I have been thinking about trying out a solo lore/leadership (my two favorite spheres) deck with that in mind for awhile.

#24 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:17 AM

My infamous logic concludes that your entire post is nonsese if you finish it with words that you do not care, because posting a post is a sign of caring in the first place. A little consistency, please? :)

Are you that stupid that you can't see that you replied not to the thread itself, but exactly to the post being adressed directly to someone else? Or you're just trying to "troll" me by acting so dumb? :D

As I said previously - answer the **** out of all the questions you can find on the internet, just don't expect people to react accordinhly when it's not you who is being asked :)

You two need to calm down. Nerdmeister simply quoted your question so that he could make his post easier by only saying "yes". He could have made a post that didn't quote you and that said "I have used Orthanc Guard successfully" and no one have batted an eye.

After all, the overall question is whether or not Orthanc Guard is useful, which can also be answered by answering whether someone has used him successfully, which is what Nerdmeister was doing. If we can't avoid petty arguments like this, then we shouldn't be on the internet.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#25 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

And here comes the infamous trololo logic: five words, as an afterthought, in a post means the whole post is dedicated to it. Not to mention it is obvious that exact comment was directed at your lack of self-awareness specifically.

Since this is still a general discussion about Orthanc Guard then all people are welcome to write about their opinions and experiences with that card. If that is not the case then as I said: handle it by PM.

The OP doesn´t own a topic just because he started it.

You're wasting your time with this.

As for whether i have used him to my own success, it depends on your metric for success.

He's the best defender ally in leadership for cost 2. No leadership ally has more than defence 2, and the other cards that have deference 2 all have cost 4 or 5. (The Dunidain character with secrecy is clearly better in a secrecy deck - since he also then is cost 2).

So in terms of wanting a chump blocker that might survive some attacks he's pretty good to be honest, even without the ability to ready - the ready ability allows him to occasionally be able to quest and be available to defend.

Also if we ever get a low damage enemy card with doom he would be perfect to quest vs that enemy. I think that as I mainly play trait decks rather than just sphere's I probably wouldn't use him that much as I prefer to stick to a theme (Gondor, Hobbit).

However I would certainly consider him if I needed a cheap ally that could defend and didn't have tactics.

Edited by Rapier, 08 May 2014 - 12:05 PM.

• Nerdmeister and DurinIII like this

#26 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

My infamous logic concludes that your entire post is nonsese if you finish it with words that you do not care, because posting a post is a sign of caring in the first place. A little consistency, please? :)

Are you that stupid that you can't see that you replied not to the thread itself, but exactly to the post being adressed directly to someone else? Or you're just trying to "troll" me by acting so dumb? :D

As I said previously - answer the **** out of all the questions you can find on the internet, just don't expect people to react accordinhly when it's not you who is being asked :)

You two need to calm down. Nerdmeister simply quoted your question so that he could make his post easier by only saying "yes". He could have made a post that didn't quote you and that said "I have used Orthanc Guard successfully" and no one have batted an eye.

After all, the overall question is whether or not Orthanc Guard is useful, which can also be answered by answering whether someone has used him successfully, which is what Nerdmeister was doing. If we can't avoid petty arguments like this, then we shouldn't be on the internet.

I feel like Trolololo goes looking for petty arguments like this :/ Maybe it's to do with interpretation and communication. I think many people would take offense at someone taking the line of I only wanted one person to respond to my posts in a public forum though.

Being expected to respond in a privileged way felt uncomfortable to me.

Edited by Rapier, 08 May 2014 - 08:53 AM.

• DurinIII, Noccus and Caerdowyn like this

#27 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

He combos nicely with The Seeing-stone, but that's it, mostly.

Seems to me he combos quite well with Gríma´s ability.

I have been thinking about trying out a solo lore/leadership (my two favorite spheres) deck with that in mind for awhile.

Cool, I haven't thought about that yet. I'm mostly using Grima's ability to play allies, but of course if you use it on events...

#28 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

I think they did the card a disservice by only giving him 1 WP and not 2 (maybe switch up his WP and DEF although i can see the thematic issue with him being a "guard" and needing more DEF).

If he has 2 WP then his ability flows much more naturally with the readying effect essentially being icing on the cake instead of the potential desperation move it is now.

His value right now is that he actually has a good amount of stat points in comparison to other leadership allies that also cost 2 resources, but for gameplay i think i'd rather use the ship captain to help smooth resources and synergize with other gondor cards or possibly even the Warrior of Lossarnach who technically is the best stat'd 2 cost leadership ally and can stack as well obviously.

Long story short: Good stats but they dont complement his ability well and unless the Isengard trait is developed I'd likely not find the room for him

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#29 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:57 PM

I think they did the card a disservice by only giving him 1 WP and not 2 (maybe switch up his WP and DEF although i can see the thematic issue with him being a "guard" and needing more DEF).

IMO this just pushes us to think a bit more creatively while playing.

Which is a good thing in my book at least.

#30 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:57 AM

A 2wp, 2def and 2hp ally with a readying ability would never cost 2. Unless doomed, of course  :lol:

#31 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:40 AM

A 2wp, 2def and 2hp ally with a readying ability would never cost 2. Unless doomed, of course  :lol:

Although this sounds a lot more like what the card could have been.

If he has 2 WP then his ability flows much more naturally with the readying effect essentially being icing on the cake instead of the potential desperation move it is now.

His value right now is that he actually has a good amount of stat points in comparison to other leadership allies that also cost 2 resources, but for gameplay i think i'd rather use the ship captain to help smooth resources and synergize with other gondor cards or possibly even the Warrior of Lossarnach who technically is the best stat'd 2 cost leadership ally and can stack as well obviously.

Long story short: Good stats but they dont complement his ability well and unless the Isengard trait is developed I'd likely not find the room for him

If he had 2 wp and the ability to ready on doom cards from the quest deck he would need to cost 3 - and then would be hard to justify again.

I think the 1 wp actually makes him more interesting though I agree, less good.

As Trololo suggests, giving him the 2 wp and the doomed effect might have been more in keeping with the trait. Although the 4 Isenguard allies that change based on the doom keyword (The spirit and tactices ones are clearly somewhere in the cycle) probably don't have doom to make it so they still fit the theme, without every card with the trait raising you're threat.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS