Gandalf Hero

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#41 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:10 AM

Oh, he must be Neutral, I feel. It really fits his character, I feel. Gandalf had no home, he travelled tirelessly to help anywhere he could. He could be kind and funny, he could be great and terrible, a supporter or a leader when needed, though never through finding respect in others out of fear.

• SilvanBouncer likes this

#42 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:58 AM

Long I suspected Saruman as a hero with shifting resource Icon. He was a neutral by default and at the setup, you were able to choose a resource icon for him until the end of the game.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#43 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:10 AM

Saruman of Many Colours, that would make sense. On the other hand, at this stage he was already altogether corrupted. By the way, has anyone had success with the Saruman ally? I sort of hesitate to play him, partly because of the theme but he also does not seem too intriguing as a strategy option -- but I say this totally without experience.

#44 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:28 AM

He is great. Costs only 3, puts one encounter card out of their misery for the entire turn and hits hard for 5. I would say that he is most usable in the quest where to proceed you need to get rid of something. Like, second quest of Black Riders - just flipping one of the Nazguls for the entire turn, and then dealing with it's brethren and winning.

#45 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:30 AM

Saruman of Many Colours, that would make sense. On the other hand, at this stage he was already altogether corrupted. By the way, has anyone had success with the Saruman ally? I sort of hesitate to play him, partly because of the theme but he also does not seem too intriguing as a strategy option -- but I say this totally without experience.

Best time I used him must have been to remove a hunter from mordor, who was in the staging area, while 4 clue cards where in play and then quest the game to victory with just 2 willpower to spare.

#46 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:27 AM

Yes, he seems an excellent end-game card, unless you are in deep with the threat. Alternatively, he can also be great to overcome opening odds. So yes, I see he must be good, and I need to try him. The doom decks have thus far been a bit of a disappointment for me though.

#47 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:00 AM

You don't need to run a doomed deck to use him.

#48 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

Of course, I won't. If I use him, I probably will in the Silvan deck with Galadriel to get two actions out of him. He quests nicely and shall fight even better. Plus, Galadriel can sort of keep the threat low. And the Island Amid Perils might help even more.

#49 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:33 AM

Oh, he must be Neutral, I feel. It really fits his character, I feel. Gandalf had no home, he travelled tirelessly to help anywhere he could. He could be kind and funny, he could be great and terrible, a supporter or a leader when needed, though never through finding respect in others out of fear.

Making Gandalf neutral (and only able to spend resources on neutral cards) I think is the main point they have to help balance him. 

• SilvanBouncer likes this

#50 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

If he'll be able to only pay for neutral cards, then it'll be dullest decision ever. My bet is that he won't be 4/4/4/4, but will be really strong, with some drawback.

#51 tacomen253

tacomen253

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:54 AM

@Rapier, Gandalf only able to pay for neutral cards seems counter intuitive. Like lleimmoen was saying, his story is that he appears wherever he is needed with the support of his wizard abilities, whether he is supporting humans, elves, or dwarfs (he is not sphere"ist"). Limiting him to paying for only neutral cards is the exact opposite of why FFG made his ally version a neutral card that can be played with under any sphere. That is my objective analysis.

My subjective analysis is that to make a hero Gandalf only able to pay for neutral cards is silly. I personally never have more than 10% neutral cards in any of my decks, making Gandalf's resources essentially useless. And if you did have at least a third of your deck neutral cards, your other sphere's main focus will be on allies since there are a lack of neutral ones. Deck building is the acme of skill in this game, but limiting your flexability in deck building by using a duo neutral/sphere is poor strategizing.

#52 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

You can splat a song on him, yet still it will be dumb. And songs are not from the core set, so people without Mirkwood cycle would stuck in a very bad position.

#53 Sinamil

Sinamil

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:47 PM

Caldara is not useless.  I hope that they use the remaining hero slots to flesh out some of the traits (Halbarad), or maybe for some new characters from the book.  There are still several Rohan characters we haven't seen that could be heroes.  Maybe Earkenbrand (Tactics), Hama (Lore), or Gamling (Leadership)?

#54 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 977 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:41 PM

Caldara enabled a new archetype for the game. I'm all for more heroes like that even if they aren't from the lore.
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#55 Sinamil

Sinamil

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:21 AM

Yea, I really wouldn't mind if we had a (select) few more heroes that aren't from the material if they are well designed.  At some point they will need to look at some pretty obscure characters for heroes anyway.  One thought I had was hero for Bergil (son of Beregond).  Spirit, 3 threat, 2 WP, 0 ATK, 0 DEF, 1 HP.  Gondor.  While Bergil is ready, all Gondor characters gain "Action: exhaust this card and Bergil to give a Gondor character +1 DEF until the end of the turn."  Anyway, before I went way off topic, I think the new characters can be fine if they are spread out and have interesting abilities.

#56 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:02 AM

Since yes we need a Gandalf ring so probably we will have a Gandalf hero. But what kind of hero he can be??? He is to powerful 4/4/4 Maybe he can be only alone as a hero? And belong to all spheres? 

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#57 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:32 AM

Gandalf: Sphere Lore. Cost: 15 WP 4 AT 3 DF 3 HP 4

Ability: Lower Gandalf's starting threat cost by 1 for each Hobbit hero you control.

#58 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:38 AM

I think they should do what decipher did and make different versions of the same hero. We already have this with a few characters: Aragorn and Borimir. That way Gandalf could eventually show up in every sphere.

#59 Mich the One

Mich the One

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

I think they should do what decipher did and make different versions of the same hero. We already have this with a few characters: Aragorn and Borimir. That way Gandalf could eventually show up in every sphere.

So... four cards of hero Gandalf included in the next Saga box, one for each sphere? well, I was not at all enthusiastic for the whole idea of hero Gandalf, but this would actually change my mind. Come to think about it, it might make sense in a weird way. In other Sagas hero count was much higher. Now, if I recall correctly, we are supposed to get just a quests-specific Frodo plus just one additional new hero. Just one or perhaps...? :) But it is just pure speculation,

#60 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

So... four cards of hero Gandalf included in the next Saga box, one for each sphere? well, I was not at all enthusiastic for the whole idea of hero Gandalf, but this would actually change my mind. Come to think about it, it might make sense in a weird way. In other Sagas hero count was much higher. Now, if I recall correctly, we are supposed to get just a quests-specific Frodo plus just one additional new hero. Just one or perhaps...? :) But it is just pure speculation,[/quote]

One hero, four of the same one hero. Haha. Confirmed Gandalf rainbow.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS