Gandalf Hero

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#21 Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:48 PM

Shadowfax: Attach to Gandalf.  Action: Exhaust Shadowfax.  Until the end of the round, each player may have a copy of Gandalf under their control.
"It's like he's everywhere at once" 

#22 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

Shadowfax: Attach to Gandalf.  Action: Exhaust Shadowfax.  Until the end of the round, each player may have a copy of Gandalf under their control.

This would be so broken with the Hobbit Gandalf.

It's a neat idea but I don't think it would work.

#23 Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

I know these things don't always come across on the forums, but it was a joke :D

#24 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:12 PM

I know these things don't always come across on the forums, but it was a joke :D

It did amuse me, I knew you understood the game to well to suggest it seriously :P

#25 Sinamil

Sinamil

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:56 PM

Grandspleen, your suggestion is actually completely thematic and I think could work if they make the wording airtight.  However, I am in the camp of not making him a hero as well, at least not any time soon.  We have plenty of high threat, high powered heroes, I would rather see some of the other traits fleshed out with lower or mid cost heroes.

• Nerdmeister likes this

#26 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:13 AM

Removing weariness sounds like readying to me.  Inspiring people against despair sounds like a stat boost.  Imagine a personal, transferable Unexpected Courage, that can ready nearly anybody or give anyone a stat boost during any action window.  If he gets a ring that does anything like that, he'll be ridiculous.  But then again, he'd better be, otherwise everyone else at the table will be annoyed that they can't play their Gandalf allies.  ;)

Could be like a Sam ability but applies to another person. Ready and add +1 to all? Or maybe only willpower. Seems decent.

#27 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:19 AM

Why is everyone so negative about doubling up an ally with a new hero? I've already had to take my Gandalf and Faramir out of my decks because another deck had Faramir hero and my other friend used persistent Hobbit Gandalf.
We have quite a lot of double ups already and everyone seems to want a third Boromir (although maybe only for thematic reasons?), and everyone seems super keen about a Haldir hero. So why not Gandalf? It seems like people are blowing his expected threat cost and abilities out of hand. He hobbles are holding a stick most of the time, haha. Look at the thematic and low cost Galadriel for an example of good game design.
We will see some continued doubling and some form of Gandalf hero for sure. He is the most iconic character in any of the books or movies.

Edited by ZanzibarLand, 08 May 2014 - 12:20 AM.

#28 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:26 AM

Thematically Gandalf shows up when you need him; which is pretty decently expressed by his card text on both ally versions to "discard him at the end of the round".

He is someone that you are happy about when he makes an appearance in the darkest of times but since his work is never done and he is always needed somewhere else, he cannot stay too long.

EDIT: I´m in the movement against a Gandalf hero if that did not come across :P

Edited by Nerdmeister, 08 May 2014 - 01:28 AM.

#29 JsBingley

JsBingley

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:25 AM

Simply, I don't like the Hero Gandalf idea, but it seems coming close.

#30 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:51 AM

Yeah I don't want a Gandalf hero either but it seems like it will happen. I also don't want a Haldir hero or at least have no interest in one, I'm psyched to have the three brothers as allies, works better that way I reckon.

#31 Mich the One

Mich the One

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:47 AM

I think not giving us a hero Gandalf is a good move.  Every time I get to play Gandalf into my table it is a big event. It is as if the other cards cry "Mithrandir is come, we are saved!", you know, the essence of eucatastrophe. This makes so much thematic sense. Having a Gandalf hero at our disposal at all times would take all that away.

With that said, I would not mind if he is made a hero tied only to a quest or two (as Bilbo or Frodo). That would give us this toy we all want to play with, but only for a while and it would end before it gets boring and all to common. 

• Nerdmeister and Morithain like this

#32 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:03 AM

I completely understand where all you "Gandalf hero haters" are coming from. ;-) You make some good points. Here's how I ultimately see it: any hero they choose to create in this game is one more hero I own and can choose from. If Gandalf is not a viable LOTR hero, then Caledra and that Lore elf hero aren't either. I'd much rather they make actual characters into heroes (like good ol' Gandy) before making some up.
  • Djenni and ZanzibarLand like this

#33 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:04 AM

It's Caldara.

#34 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:15 AM

An appropriate place for Gandalf to show up as a hero would be in The Road Darkens saga set. He is so central to the Moria episode.

#35 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:16 AM

Thank you spell check! I was too lazy to go find the card. I never play it.

#36 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:24 AM

An appropriate place for Gandalf to show up as a hero would be in The Road Darkens saga set. He is so central to the Moria episode.

I´d more suspect that he will appear as an objective ally, but we´ll see.

#37 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:09 AM

Thank you spell check! I was too lazy to go find the card. I never play it.

There is cardgamedb.com for the cases when you're too lazy to look for physical card :)

• DurinIII likes this

#38 Distractionbeast

Distractionbeast

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:20 AM

Quest Action:  While Gandalf is committed to the quest, you may raise your threat by 1 to ready a hero you control which is committed to the quest.  Any player may trigger this effect.

• Morithain likes this

#39 Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:11 PM

Why is everyone so negative about doubling up an ally with a new hero? I've already had to take my Gandalf and Faramir out of my decks because another deck had Faramir hero and my other friend used persistent Hobbit Gandalf.
We have quite a lot of double ups already and everyone seems to want a third Boromir (although maybe only for thematic reasons?), and everyone seems super keen about a Haldir hero. So why not Gandalf? It seems like people are blowing his expected threat cost and abilities out of hand. He hobbles are holding a stick most of the time, haha. Look at the thematic and low cost Galadriel for an example of good game design.
We will see some continued doubling and some form of Gandalf hero for sure. He is the most iconic character in any of the books or movies.

Doubling is fine, and inevitable.  I'd rather see multi-sphere versions of my favorite heroes than lots of FFG created heroes.  But doubling does make co-op more difficult, especially if you don't have time to coordinate decks beforehand.  This is why I think a hero Gandalf would be such a big deal.  Faramir the ally is a great card, but if someone shows up with Faramir the hero, there are a few in-sphere options for replacing what he does (Sword that was Broken, Visionary Leadership, Dain).  There isn't a replacement for Gandalf.  Whether you're a leadership deck using the Sneak Attack-Core combo, a low threat deck running Hobbit Gandalf as a fourth hero, a Tactics deck relying on Gandalf to drop their threat, etc.  There's no way to replace his neutral sphere versatility.  I know that there are sometimes conflicts because someone is running Hobbit Gandalf and someone else wants to play Core Gandalf, but if the person who needs to play Core Gandalf is that desperate, you can always allow Hobbit Gandalf to be discarded at the end of the round.  A hero Gandalf would take away that flexibility, and lock down any deck that was counting on Gandalf in some shape or form.  That's why the hero Gandalf would have to be amazing.  otherwise, he wouldn't be worth it. 

That's why I think we could have a saga specific Gandalf hero in store.  It makes a lot of sense for him to appear at this point in the story, it would be very cool to recreate Gandalf's moments of glory (who isn't excited about the idea of Gandalf taking down the Balrog?), and would maintain the balance for the rest of the quests.  

• DurinIII and ZanzibarLand like this

#40 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

If they simply made a Gandalf hero with stats 4wp, 4a, 4d, and 4hp without any abilities on his card, that would be insanely amazing. Make him Lore and make his starting cost 15 or 16. His abilities would come in with his items, sword, staff, ring etc. Such a Gandalf would easily rival the ally version.
  • Glowwyrm and ZanzibarLand like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS