Gandalf Hero

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 550 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:33 AM

So I am already suspecting that we will get a hero version of Gandalf before the Ring Cycle is over. Any leads, thughts, anticipation, fears? ;-)

I for one will really be happy when they make him!

#2 Morithain

Morithain

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:54 AM

Bring it on!  Along with Varya...then you can have all three elven ring-bearers for an epic deck of ultra-brokenness.  

But...how the heck are they going to balance a Gandalf hero?  He's ridiculously powerful.

• ZanzibarLand likes this

#3 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:07 AM

Ents are too very strong, but here we have an 2/2/2/3 ent. So, don't worry - they'll find a away.

• Morithain likes this

#4 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:15 AM

I hope nobody plays Gandalf hero if he plays with me. I'd like to play my Gandalf ally.

• JsBingley likes this

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#5 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:27 AM

Hope is the greatest ally.

• Morithain likes this

#6 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:43 AM

What i would really like in "The Road Darkens" is to get a new Boromir ally so i can play the entire fellowship in a 2P game but also to get a new Gandalf Ally version. Though i would happily accept a Gandalf Hero.

Most likely the only Icelandic LOTR LCG gamer around these parts.

#7 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:03 AM

Makes all the sense we get Boromir ally in the Road Darkens. I had been saying that for a long time now. You need the Fellowship and both hero versions of Boromir come in different expansions. Gandalf hero makes all the sense as well.

• ZanzibarLand likes this

#8 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:11 AM

*fingers crossed that Gandalf does not appear as a hero*

#9 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:18 AM

*fingers crossed that Gandalf does appear as a hero*

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo, 08 May 2014 - 01:57 AM.

• DurinIII, JsBingley and ZanzibarLand like this

#10 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:46 AM

Gandalf as a hero seems most likely in the saga expansions to me. (Possibly as a real hero, maybe only as a saga specific hero).

• DurinIII likes this

#11 gman707

gman707

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:03 AM

Surely since every deck must feature a gandalf ally he would still be playable as a hero and an ally? Unless they errata it.

#12 tacomen253

tacomen253

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:14 AM

Surely since every deck must feature a gandalf ally he would still be playable as a hero and an ally? Unless they errata it.

As op as that would be, a new Gandalf ally would most likely be unique. So the hero and the ally would not be playable at the same time because they have the same name, even though they are different card types.

#13 Pericles

Pericles

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

*fingers crossed that someone gives me a cookie today*

• DurinIII, Morithain and Olorin93 like this

"Chug... Chug... Chug..."

#14 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

Every deck doesn't have to use a Gandalf ally. That's how the original decks are set up in the core set - but when you start building them yourself you can leave out Gandalf if you wish (I often do).

If a player was running Gandalf as hero you would be unable to play your Gandalf ally cards if the hero was in play. (I think technically you could play them and then choose one of the cards to leave play - but that's pretty wasteful).

#15 gman707

gman707

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:13 AM

Oh didn't realise that. I thought the rulebook stated that it had to contain one in the deck customization section. May take mine out then. Though he is useful for lowering threat

#16 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 550 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:41 AM

All my strongest decks have included him, but you have a choice!

#17 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:53 AM

Bring it on!  Along with Varya...then you can have all three elven ring-bearers for an epic deck of ultra-brokenness.  

But...how the heck are they going to balance a Gandalf hero?  He's ridiculously powerful.

According to the books, Galadriel was more powerfull than Gandalf, but they found a way to represent her very accurately. Ok after her show on destroying dol guldur, which is way back from the game era, she never made any real appearences so they made the trick and she looks great. I am sure they will come up something for Gandalf

Lord of all Noldor

A star in the night And a bearer of hope

He rides into his glorious battle alone Farewell to the valliant warlord

#18 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

Well, we've gotten Vilya and now we're getting Nenya with Galadriel. If we do get a Gandalf hero at some point, I assume this means that Narya should come one day as well. Vilya grants the free play of cards, while Nenya allows Galadriel to add her willpower. What should Narya do? The ring of fire was said to have the power of helping to remove weariness and helping to inspire people against despair. What would that look like in game terms?

• Catastrophic09 likes this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#19 Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:37 PM

Removing weariness sounds like readying to me.  Inspiring people against despair sounds like a stat boost.  Imagine a personal, transferable Unexpected Courage, that can ready nearly anybody or give anyone a stat boost during any action window.  If he gets a ring that does anything like that, he'll be ridiculous.  But then again, he'd better be, otherwise everyone else at the table will be annoyed that they can't play their Gandalf allies.  ;)

• DurinIII likes this

#20 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

Hah, here you go:  Gandalf hero, Action: Exhaust Gandalf.  He is considered "out of play" until the end of the round.

• Nerdmeister, DurinIII, Nickpes and 3 others like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS