Galadriel and the Time Mechanic

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:31 AM

I think Trololo is right. It makes more sense synergistically and it makes more sense cost-wise. I understand that it makes him have an ability that is very similar to the spoiled events, but the fact that the ability is now on an ally makes it unique enough. Neither of us is saying that it can't be pulling from the discard pile but the evidence seems to point more toward pulling from play.

lleimmoen, I think Trololo's reply was perfectly valid and that you over-reacted. I think you perceived something that wasn't there and this time you're being the antagonist.

Edited by joezim007, 12 May 2014 - 05:36 AM.

• ZanzibarLand likes this

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#22 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:35 AM

Regardless of your perception of how I say it, the stuff I say remains my opinion on the matter, and it can't be a fact until we see the actual text of the card. What I am judging from is bringing somebody from discard pile is a very powerful and rare ability. While in history of LotR, leadership allies tend to be overpriced because of natural resource richness of the sphere, while Orophin costs only 3 for his pretty good stats. Returning an acual ally from play to your hand may be a temporal disadvantage, thus the small cost of 3. Do I even need to say that it's just my analysis of matter in question and it does not pretends to be anything official and stuff?

No, this is a very good analysis, and I would almost tend to agree with it, had I not taken into account that all the events (of which we shall see four) shall be bringing allies from play, so I cannot think Orophin might as well. But that is really secondary, what I was a bit concerned about was the way you shared your opinion at first. It wasn't insulting but it felt sort of scornful which I don't think is appropriate here. Of course I would not take your opinions away from you, it just seemed you are trying to laugh off others'. Now we can wait and see who was closer to the truth with his guess -- but that, again, is just a side thing.

#23 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:38 AM

lleimmoen, I think Trololo's reply was perfectly valid and that you over-reacted. I think you perceived something that wasn't there and this time you're being the antagonist.

Ok, so disregarding other people's analysis in a single sentence without any argument -- that by your logic is perfectly valid, whilst thinking it rude is over-reacting and being antagonist. Antagonist in what play or drama, may I ask?

#24 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:01 AM

Without a single arguement? My post implyed that he costs too little to be bringing people from the grave, which is an arguement to me.

#25 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

Ok, so disregarding other people's analysis in a single sentence without any argument -- that by your logic is perfectly valid, whilst thinking it rude is over-reacting and being antagonist. Antagonist in what play or drama, may I ask?

Well, not everyone likes to write long sophisticated posts. Especially when English is not your mother tongue. There were lots of occassions in which I would have liked to write more, but gave up because I couldn't find the words.

But yeah, I know what you mean, but I think in this case it doesn't fit.

Edited by leptokurt, 12 May 2014 - 10:32 AM.

#26 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:24 PM

My point was simply that people jump to the conclusion that someone else is being rude too quickly. This is the internet, where we've taught ourselves to be short and sweet, so a short reply - with or without arguments - is not necessarily being rude. An antagonist is "somebody or something opposing or in conflict with another"; it's not simply a term associated with movies or plays. I'm saying that you are seeking confrontation where others are simply stating their opinion.

I hope I don't have to jump in to break up any more fights on here for a while. It seems to be getting a little too common. Can't we all just respect one another?

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#27 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:48 PM

Without a single arguement? My post implyed that he costs too little to be bringing people from the grave, which is an arguement to me.

It didn't actually. It lacked the direction to make it mean what you clarified it too. (Your entire post is only a statement that he wouldn't have cost 3). You felt it was clear you meant that it cost too little because the ability would be a strong one.

However it could just have easily have been that you thought the ability was too weak for a cost of 3.

The "implicaiton" doesn't exist at all in your one sentence. Your clarification (that leadership allies are generally over-costed and that the ability is very rare) is much  more valuable. I think Lleimmoen would have appreciated that extra bit in your first response.

Which I think is the entire misunderstanding here. I don't mean to complain if it really is an English second language issue as Leptokurt suggests, however people are going to misinterpret your intention if it isn't as clear as you think it is.

As for the topic at hand -

I completely agree that threat isn't and never has been a good time mechanic in the game. It functions like that for most decks but not ones that have a lot of threat reduction. (Thematically the threat mechanic really represents rising danger rather than time running out).

On the other hand I don't think that being able to reduce your threat by 1 every turn will be a problem in most quests (some as already mentioned, are ruined by it). Galadrim's Greeting already allowed you to reduce your threat by a massive 18 per game (if you draw all 3 - but your chances of doing so are greatly increased by playing a deck that can go longer because of threat reduction).

It already is the case that if you choose to play a threat reduction strategy of any kind you can completely ignore the risk of time running out. Obviously this reduces your other cards so it's not necessarily a flaw in design - however I feel a built in time mechanic for quests that want to be timed would be better.

We do have some examples though - locations that take damage and you lose if they're killed (all you need is for them to take 1 damage a turn as a forced effect on the card to get a built in maximum time limit) or the first hobbit saga quest which really feels like you're playing until dawn.

The question I would ask is, how important is a time mechanic to all quests? Does it really matter on a quest that isn't about threat to make you lose.

• mr.thomasschmidt likes this

#28 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:57 AM

Yeah, yeah, you and your smart long-ass posts. Why don't you write a book with those graphomania habbits of yours?

#29 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:09 AM

Yeah, yeah, you and your smart long-ass posts. Why don't you write a book with those graphomania habbits of yours?

May I ask how old you are?

#30 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:18 AM

No.

#31 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:39 AM

Smart long-ass? If that was intentional, it is pretty funny, no matter how silly...

#32 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:46 AM

No.

Ok.

If you're not an adult, you should probably talk to your parents about how to behave properly.

If you are an adult, which I find rather unlikely, you should probably stop acting like you're 12.

#33 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:00 AM

No.

Ok.

If you're not an adult, you should probably talk to your parents about how to behave properly.

If you are an adult, which I find rather unlikely, you should probably stop acting like you're 12.

And what if none of those statements is true?

#34 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

Wow... you guys are fighting over semantics here. There was nothing scornful about Trololo's first post. This, however, is about as scornful as it gets - from both sides. Are there other unresolved issues at work here? I don't see how just this could develop into name-calling in the first place.

Age and nationality is irrelevant here; it's a community for everyone, and arguments like this drag it down. If a post is unclear and possibly rude, give the poster the benefit of the doubt and politely ask him/her to clarify. If you feel like you are about to resort to harassment, just leave it alone. We all have better things to do!

On a positive note: I played Galadriel today, and she is great!

• mr.thomasschmidt and ZanzibarLand like this

#35 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:23 AM

Well, I feel you have just dragged the boards down, Olorin. Your post does not seem to be doing anything. This is internet, misunderstandings are bound to happen, just accept it. Some of you guys are acting like blood is being spilled here, just grow up, this is nothing but a few words, and only few heated ones at that.

#36 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

Wow... you guys are fighting over semantics here. There was nothing scornful about Trololo's first post. This, however, is about as scornful as it gets - from both sides. Are there other unresolved issues at work here? I don't see how just this could develop into name-calling in the first place.

Age and nationality is irrelevant here; it's a community for everyone, and arguments like this drag it down. If a post is unclear and possibly rude, give the poster the benefit of the doubt and politely ask him/her to clarify. If you feel like you are about to resort to harassment, just leave it alone. We all have better things to do!

That's why I was asking Trololo. If you (try to) discuss with someone age is something very important. If Trololo is as young as I think he is, it might explain his behaviour. I am a teacher myself and I deal with these kind of statements daily. Young people have yet to learn how to discuss properly. And 12 is the age when they usually start to emphazise and talk sensitive.

So either Trololo is just to young to express himself, or he is annoying people on purpose. If it's the latter, ignoring his posts might truly be the best way to set this forum to the standards that we use to have.This forum is for sharing and discussing your opinion, not for constantly shouting things and to ignore other posters that give you a sophisticated answer.

#37 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:14 AM

So either Trololo is just to young to express himself, or he is annoying people on purpose. If it's the latter, ignoring his posts might truly be the best way to set this forum to the standards that we use to have.This forum is for sharing and discussing your opinion, not for constantly shouting things and to ignore other posters that give you a sophisticated answer.

Ignoring who?

(see what I did there ;) )

#38 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:46 AM

Regardless of your perception of how I say it, the stuff I say remains my opinion on the matter, and it can't be a fact until we see the actual text of the card. What I am judging from is bringing somebody from discard pile is a very powerful and rare ability. While in history of LotR, leadership allies tend to be overpriced because of natural resource richness of the sphere, while Orophin costs only 3 for his pretty good stats. Returning an acual ally from play to your hand may be a temporal disadvantage, thus the small cost of 3. Do I even need to say that it's just my analysis of matter in question and it does not pretends to be anything official and stuff?

No, this is a very good analysis, and I would almost tend to agree with it, had I not taken into account that all the events (of which we shall see four) shall be bringing allies from play, so I cannot think Orophin might as well. But that is really secondary, what I was a bit concerned about was the way you shared your opinion at first. It wasn't insulting but it felt sort of scornful which I don't think is appropriate here. Of course I would not take your opinions away from you, it just seemed you are trying to laugh off others'. Now we can wait and see who was closer to the truth with his guess -- but that, again, is just a side thing.

What information do we all have to says we will get a return to hand event for each sphere? I've only seen the lore and no mention/hint of the other. And definitely no confirmation of all 4.

#39 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:54 AM

I wasn't sure whether to just leave this all alone and let it die or what..
But then I read this, good job Olorin, got to keep thing civil between us all and chill the f out.

Edited by ZanzibarLand, 14 May 2014 - 02:55 AM.

#40 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:21 AM

What information do we all have to says we will get a return to hand event for each sphere? I've only seen the lore and no mention/hint of the other. And definitely no confirmation of all 4.

You should look properly then. And perhaps speak less hastily of things others know more about. Lleimmoen is right, there is a Spirit version spoilt in the Nin-in-Eilph article, and Tactics in the Dunland Trap. Do you think if there are three, there will not be four?

Edited by Ana, 14 May 2014 - 05:26 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS