Galadriel and the Time Mechanic

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:52 PM

This was to come surely. Still off the preview thread, I wanted to discuss one thing. With Galadriel, we have got the first hero who can reduce threat repeatedly in every round. I believe it is a mile-stone of sorts, and fitting for such an iconic hero. In solo play this can easily lead to much stalling, if one really wants to. Thus, the time mechanic seems very appropriate again, something that perhaps should have existed from the beginning. Of course the raising of the threat works in a similar way, but only unless you find effective ways to mitigate the rise.

Much has already been said about Galadriel herself, and much will be before she officially arrives. Together with Celeborn, Silvan allies will become very powerful having all-round boosted stats (save hp which may still cause problems) and double use on the first round. The returning events and proper resource management will be key to the strategy, I feel. And the best thing about it, the whole idea is not straight-forward, one might be faced with many interesting decisions, including Galadriel herself. Of course you can play UC on her but unless she has Neny, you would be wasting resources. Even after the Ring, Silvan might be more than capable of questing enough without the support of the Lady. For me, the very important aspect of Nenya is that it gives the Lore icon, as neither Celeborn or Galadriel are Lore but the Silvan allies often are.

Edited by lleimmoen, 06 May 2014 - 11:56 PM.

#2 mr.thomasschmidt

mr.thomasschmidt

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:51 AM

I mostly agree. And I do think she is awesome. But I can't help feeling a little disappointed that she can't quest. I think I would be more thematic if she could quest. Even though she has some really good abilities she is more or less useless. Useless in the way that she is taking up a hero spot. Think if the first Bilbo hero couldn't do anything else than providing his ability of card draw. Don't think many would use him then. I wouldn't have a hero in my decks that can't do anything than what some events or other hero can do better. But that's my opinion and I respect everyone who is surely to disagree :)

#3 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:13 AM

As is laid out in the preview: Galadriel´s ability to ad her willpower to another (when you have Nenya) after questing has begun is quite powerful, seeing as you can wait before exhausting her, awaiting the development from the encounter deck.

On a side note: Galadriel´s willpower can still come in quite handy when you have to exhaust characters for their willpower other than questing (escape tests fx).

#4 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:09 AM

I mostly agree. And I do think she is awesome. But I can't help feeling a little disappointed that she can't quest. I think I would be more thematic if she could quest. Even though she has some really good abilities she is more or less useless. Useless in the way that she is taking up a hero spot. Think if the first Bilbo hero couldn't do anything else than providing his ability of card draw. Don't think many would use him then. I wouldn't have a hero in my decks that can't do anything than what some events or other hero can do better. But that's my opinion and I respect everyone who is surely to disagree :)

However, you only need 1 card to make her able to contribute her willpower of 4. One card is not too much. But even if you do not have Nenya, she still draws a card and lowers threat. As I said above, for solo play this is incredibly useful. I tried her out as a proxy already last night, and against some of the older quests, even the harder ones like Massing at Osgiliath, I could just keep the threat at opening level, pretty much. What is even more important however, is the "keeping ready" ability. I think it is invaluable, especially with the Silvan. Celeborn turns any Silvan into a useful quester and fighter, and Galadriel makes them be both in the round they come into play. Silvan Refugee is 3 willpower quester who stays in play to chump block or contribute 1 attack -- all that for 1 resource. Henamarth Riversong is 2 willpower, 2 attack, with a useful ability. Once we get more cheaper Silvan allies, like Naith Guide, the whole thing will be even more interesting.

Finally the example with Bilbo Baggins is a bit heartbreaking for my favourite Hobbit. He is just the same threat cost as Galadriel, she can do the drawing at any given moment together with threat reduction, and she has got the incredible passive ability. Bilbo's advantage is his one action but the stats make it not a very advantageous one.

• DurinIII likes this

#5 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:55 AM

Shadow and Flame is the quest where you are set to 0 threat right away right? In that quest you could potentially avoid ever being attacked by the balrog if you use Galadriel. That's immensely powerful. Op is probably right: time mechanic is very important for keeping things challenging with cards like Galadriel around.
  • Glaurung likes this

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#6 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:37 AM

Yes, and it is not only here where you could keep it at 0. Many quests have a certain threshold that are bad to pass. Of course you can still get in trouble with an untimely treachery or so, but Galadriel makes this much less likely. The spoilt Galadhrim Minstrel (see Dunland Trap preview) also seems to be searching your deck for something, if that something is Event cards, then getting early A Test of Will will have become easier.

#7 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:00 AM

Shadow and Flame is the quest where you are set to 0 threat right away right? In that quest you could potentially avoid ever being attacked by the balrog if you use Galadriel. That's immensely powerful. Op is probably right: time mechanic is very important for keeping things challenging with cards like Galadriel around.

yes true Galadriel really destroy a SAF. funny....

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#8 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:10 AM

yes true Galadriel really destroy a SAF. funny....

I think that's ok. I'd prefer to have heroes with unique abilities that mess up with certain quests. It's no problem to ban said hero from a quest if you think he destroys it.

• joezim007 likes this

#9 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:28 AM

Yeah, we are bound to have quests that certain heroes will absolutely shine at, like Tactics Boromir in Assault on Osgiliath (quite appropriately actually). However, I was referring to the stalling strategies overall, and I am glad that something like the Time Mechanic has appeared.

• danpoage likes this

#10 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:07 AM

Yeah, we are bound to have quests that certain heroes will absolutely shine at, like Tactics Boromir in Assault on Osgiliath (quite appropriately actually). However, I was referring to the stalling strategies overall, and I am glad that something like the Time Mechanic has appeared.

And we both totally agree about that.

#11 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:01 PM

Yes, and it is not only here where you could keep it at 0. Many quests have a certain threshold that are bad to pass. Of course you can still get in trouble with an untimely treachery or so, but Galadriel makes this much less likely. The spoilt Galadhrim Minstrel (see Dunland Trap preview) also seems to be searching your deck for something, if that something is Event cards, then getting early A Test of Will will have become easier.

Yea, I've been thinking it was probably allies this whole time, but events makes sense too. I assume its not attachments because w don't need 2 Masters of the Forge in Lore and it doesn't make as much sense with the theme of a minstrel.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#12 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:38 AM

Yeah, for me minstrel would more likely mean events, though I guess it could be viewed both ways, her singing could lure others in but the singing itself is perhaps better represented by "events". It is also a bit less straightforward, searching for cheap Silvan allies would be even more powerful perhaps. Also the minstrel could find another, etc.

#13 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:40 AM

Even if he just returns a silvan ally to your hand he will combo with rumil and naith guide very well. Double use of rumils damage ability, the second time with one more damage! (I'm assuming Orophin will have ranged, the card looks like there is space for it)

#14 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:41 AM

Oop my bad... No idea why I thought Orophin was being discussed instead of the minstrel ...

#15 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:46 AM

Never mind, any thoughtful discussion is good. I am greatly looking forward to Orophin, what a remarkable art, I find. I really think he brings them back from the discard pile, because otherwise he would be just like all the events...

#16 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:30 AM

He wouldn't cost 3 if he had brought ppl from the dicsard pile.

#17 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:46 AM

Ok, I hope you eat some of your words sometimes. Too bad we might have to wait long for you to forget...

#18 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:45 AM

Wut?

#19 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:52 AM

What? You hablas Ingles? You just say stuff like that as if it were a fact, whilst it is not and I just wait if you are ever going to say you were wrong; not that it matters much. The sentence above stating it impossible that an ally could cost 3 and still bring allies from discard pile, it is just pure nonsense. How do you like that for a one-liner?

#20 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:15 AM

Regardless of your perception of how I say it, the stuff I say remains my opinion on the matter, and it can't be a fact until we see the actual text of the card. What I am judging from is bringing somebody from discard pile is a very powerful and rare ability. While in history of LotR, leadership allies tend to be overpriced because of natural resource richness of the sphere, while Orophin costs only 3 for his pretty good stats. Returning an acual ally from play to your hand may be a temporal disadvantage, thus the small cost of 3. Do I even need to say that it's just my analysis of matter in question and it does not pretends to be anything official and stuff?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS