Talisman The Woodland Expansion!

• Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

#61 Uvatha

Uvatha

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:03 PM

Yeah, I think the Light, Dark fate is a rule that can be implemented straight away. A first look it sounds unbalanced (with evil characters and characters that replenish fate quickly) but then you realise that by choosing Dark fate you are choosing to lose a Light fate to use for protection. I think maybe limit a player to one Dark fate use a round. But then again maybe not.

The only thing is timing issues and can a player use a Light fate to re-roll the effect of a Dark fate. I think not... But these are issues. All in all I think it will make a Talisman game more involved. Put other players in the game during other players turns more. Thus improving gameplay :).

#62 Thels

Thels

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:06 AM

But as long as you've mentioned these things, what would you really have liked with a Forest or Woodland expansion. Would you have done anything, or wanted anything in the way of light/dark Fate? This seems to be one of the most asked-for things by fans who post here, so what would you have done different with that.

I'm not trying to argue, btw, I am interested in what you think could still be better.

The addition to light and fark fate I am fine with. They seem to be general rules, though, and not specifically applying towards the Forest corner, though they have an impact on the Forest enouncter cards. It would've been nicer to introduce these rules for fate a few expansions ago, so these effects could have been included in later expansions as well.

It's not so much about the City being linear or not, which can be argued, due to the shops. It's layout is completely different from the Dungeon and the Highlands, which are both basically a single long trek. We already have 2 boards of "travel along this single path towards the endboss". Do we really need a 3rd?

Some things they could have done:

- Allow a fork in the path somewhere, so you'd have to choose between two different routes. Perhaps one appealing to Craft and the other to Strength, or one appealing to Lightbound and the other to Darkbound, or maybe something as simple as one side being a lot of draw cards and the other being mostly encounters written on the squares.

- Add a river to the board, between the first and second row or between the second and third row, so that people with options to cross the storm river could take a shortcut on this board instead.

- Devote a small section of the board to expand the Village, which would be separate from the rest of the board.

And there are plenty of other ways to make it not like a 3rd Dungeon/Highlands. Missed opportunities.

As for complete gib cards, I never liked them much. They make the luck factor way too big. Too much gib cards in the forest expansion would simply cause me to never visit that corner during a boardgame.

Edited by Thels, 10 May 2014 - 03:07 AM.

• 0beron likes this

#63 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:19 AM

Games Workshop are pulling the strings behind the scenes as they hold the Talisman copyright and license it to FFG. This means that Games Workshop have a lot of say in how things pan out in expansions.

• DomaGB likes this

#64 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:09 AM

Thank you Thels,

You did a good job of articulating what you want, and as I see it, those are very good ideas, and questions, some of which I have thought of two, the River, and you also explained the fork in the road/non linear.

To Talismanamsilat, I would say I had no idea this was still the case and of course makes sense.

Without seeing the board in better detail I don't want to say how boring/same/linear it is, until I know more. If there are some interesting spaces where things happen, that are not exactly like the other boards, I would be pleased.

#65 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:08 AM

It's not so much about the City being linear or not, which can be argued, due to the shops. It's layout is completely different from the Dungeon and the Highlands, which are both basically a single long trek. We already have 2 boards of "travel along this single path towards the endboss". Do we really need a 3rd?

Some things they could have done:

- Allow a fork in the path somewhere, so you'd have to choose between two different routes. Perhaps one appealing to Craft and the other to Strength, or one appealing to Lightbound and the other to Darkbound, or maybe something as simple as one side being a lot of draw cards and the other being mostly encounters written on the squares.

- Add a river to the board, between the first and second row or between the second and third row, so that people with options to cross the storm river could take a shortcut on this board instead.

- Devote a small section of the board to expand the Village, which would be separate from the rest of the board.

And there are plenty of other ways to make it not like a 3rd Dungeon/Highlands. Missed opportunities.

These are all ideas that could have been developed, but I don't think that the Woodland would necessarily feel so similar to the Dungeon or Highland. The preview hints at a mechanic which will guide your journeys through the Woodland by the drawing of Path cards. They've presented only a single card, the Runebound Path, but I suppose there will be many more, with different effects.

Then there's the space layout, which could mirror exactly the Dungeon or Highland, or be completely different. Of course there's much that could be done to make the spaces less standard than the Dungeon's or the Highland's.

I would also like a non-linear board, but not necessarily on a corner board. I still hope we will see a non-linear Sea expansion sooner or later, that replaces the Timescape with a similar travel system, but without multiverse or WH 40k contamination.

As for complete gib cards, I never liked them much. They make the luck factor way too big. Too much gib cards in the forest expansion would simply cause me to never visit that corner during a boardgame.

That Toad King looks like a guaranteed Toading, but the other cards highly depend on that lightbound/darkbound mechanic which is explained in the preview, so you should probably start to manage your fate in a different way.

Of course if the Woodland deck is full of dangers with no considerable reward, I would also skip the Region entirely. However, if those risks are balanced by great rewards, then why not? I think the Highland and City deck are rather boring and don't have so many dangers, even though I enjoy the variety of cards. The Highland is well balanced by the low risk/low reward ratio, and the City might also be considered balanced, if a couple of items were not outrageously powerful. It's a Region where you can spend your gold well, but where you shouldn't venture if you don't have any (you will lose your time). If the Woodland has a good risk/reward ratio, even if it is a high/high balance, then it will be something new and a good addition to Talisman.

The Destiny cards seem like a good addition to a character's set of abilities. The Runebound Path allows you to gain a Destiny if you fulfill a condition at a certain point (the "Meeting with Destiny" space, which I cannot spot on the board); cards that give you abilities such as the Dreaded will be something I would gladly display to someone who travels around the board, armed with a Flail, and is convinced that nobody can ever hurt him.

Games Workshop are pulling the strings behind the scenes as they hold the Talisman copyright and license it to FFG. This means that Games Workshop have a lot of say in how things pan out in expansions.

This is quite a big assumption. GW own the copyright and license for Talisman and they could probably influence some choices, like the re-issue of expansions that were part of 2nd and 3rd edition. That's probably why we have the 4 corners exactly like in the 2nd and 3rd editions. But I don't think they would interfere into the design process of such expansions, if this is what you're arguing.

Edited by The_Warlock, 10 May 2014 - 08:17 AM.

• Invictus5000 likes this

#66 Draii

Draii

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:38 AM

I agree that it is quite possible that the horned thingie and the woman in dress is Oberon and Titania.

I was more hoping for a generic Satyr and an Dryad or Fae since I much prefer the formula of a Elf, Warrior, Monk, Knight, Ranger etc. get after the Crown, than specific persons like Titania, King Arthur, Conan or Red riding hood.

But since the horns on the "satyr" is more of a spirit of the forest a la "Herne the hunter" or the "Forest spirit" from Mononoke Hime I guess Oberon is more plausible.

If they indeed are the King and Queen of the fairies I hope there is a good story behind why they set out to possible fight each other to get the Crown on Command.

#67 Croonos

Croonos

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:42 AM

Maybe now after the release of all GW expansions (except Timescape) FFG has a free choice and will be able to benefit even more from their ideas. I just hope that does not kill our beloved game now. :) It would be nice to see the Timescape mechanics in a big box Sea expansion and another small box which expand all the other expansions. I hope they will release at least 2 more expansions...

#68 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

The Woodland contains:

• A new corner board, depicting the wilds of the Woodland
  • Five new characters to join your adventures
  • Three new alternative endings
  • ----------->Over twenty brand new tokens<------------
  • Nearly 150 new cards to bring the Woodland alive

I wonder what these are for.

#69 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

Well, another thing, 150 cards is nothing to balk at....That's 50 more than the Highland and Dungeon and only 20 less than the City.

#70 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:08 PM

Destiny and Path Cards + Woodlands deck for sure.

Though fifty some odd cards does seem like a lot to cover what we know of the Destiny and Paths, that seems more like 10-15 cards a deck max.

Paths seem like they would be about the size of the bountys deck and Destiny seems like it would be about the size of the relic or treasures.

All speculation though :)

Dying to know what the spider token is for :)

#71 Felis

Felis

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

Finally! Finally we have fourth corner board :D

It's nice that designers kept true to the legacy of older Talisman editions but I can't help but wonder what they have in store for us next. With the classic corner boards out of the way the posibilities are vast - providing they'll keep developing new expansions. I would love to see some sea related board (maybe Talisman Island ;) ).

I know I'm getting ahead  of myself, they just announces Woodland, but  my apetite for Talisman expansions is insatiable :)

#72 magicrealm

magicrealm

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:07 AM

my first thought as i saw it on ffg main page :

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa   !!!!!!!

i hope they release it before wwIII starts

• DomaGB likes this

#73 Croonos

Croonos

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:50 AM

I am glad that with every expansion we get more complete and less random game. For those who do not like Scribe from the City there is a Runebound Path which may deprive a Character using Scribe from annoying spells. Nasty! I hope other paths will be just as useful and they prepere something to stop the Alchemist character. 

Edited by Croonos, 14 May 2014 - 01:58 AM.

#74 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:05 AM

Well, the Scribe only helps you keep those annoying spells, but I get your point. Some spells are annoying when they happen once, but the potential to keep recasting them...

Which means, since I believe you 'choose' a path (unless there is only 1 left to choose from?).  So a character who really likes his annoying spells may not choose that?

I guess we need to know more about mechanics, but maybe you're right and that's the point. 

"every expansion we get more complete and less random game"  (all things come to those who wait)

#75 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

Must be toooo anxious as I'm posting rather often here.

But I just noticed something. In the News description it implies, more or less that there are a number or different type of 'Destiny' cards. We're given the examples of The Dreaded and The Wise, but

in the picture showing the board, figures and some cards there is a partially obscured card The Vaga__ or The Vaca__ ? It appears to be a Destiny card, a dark one.

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this. Wonder how many and how far reaching or types of effects they utilize.

#76 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:26 PM

The Vagabond?

#77 Croonos

Croonos

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:11 AM

Yes, and as the two previous, this card also increases some values... It looks that Destiny Cards will be very usefull with lots of good abilities.
I see that Totem Warrior first abbility is: You begin the game with... something (probably Axe or Shield) from the Purchase desk.

Edited by Croonos, 16 May 2014 - 02:30 AM.

#78 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:26 AM

Is that next to the Sales desk ;-)

#79 Uvatha

Uvatha

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:30 PM

Is that next to the Sales desk ;-)

Nah thats next to the Discounted desk :).

#80 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:36 AM

So, everything you don't like about Talisman 4E is GW's fault? FFG's awesome ideas are being shot down by GW and the game would be 10 times better if only GW would get out of the way and let FFG do what they want?

It's true they own the copyright and licensed it out to FFG, but it's also true that FFG are the ones doing all the design work on Talisman. That's the whole point. If GW wanted to be that involved in the game design, they would've kept the game at Black Industries and done it themselves.

GW probably has to sign off on stuff before it goes to print, but the ideas themselves all come from FFG staff. The rules are written by FFG, playtested by FFG, art is drawn by FFG, etc. It's FFG's game with GW's license.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS