Talisman The Woodland Expansion!

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#41 Cruan

Cruan

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:57 AM

The creatures in the woods on both sides of the cover picture are definitely Oberon and Titania and it looks like theyre actually playable characters. Maybe theyre the first characters playable only with the specific expansion.. Maybe..

• 0beron likes this

#42 Dirach

Dirach

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:45 AM

I Guess the female is the Sprite from 2nd edition returning.

#43 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:54 AM

Already have the Sprite, it came with the Highland Expansion!

#44 Flint Sound

Flint Sound

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:09 AM

My Guess for the end space is either,

A burned out mana tree stump which you have to restore to life, (hence Oberon and Titania are wondering the world and not in their tree.) 

Or

Some sort of elephant graveyard, Because that picture looks like an undead two headed mammoth to me. ???

Also seeing as we have Oberon and Titania does that make the Satyr Puck?

#45 Dirach

Dirach

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:12 AM

Already have the Sprite, it came with the Highland Expansion!

Of course :unsure: There are so many characters now that I mix them up. 

#46 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:11 AM

http://nimeunier.fre...acter_sheet.pdf

• 0beron likes this

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#47 Thels

Thels

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:52 AM

A little disappointed over how linear the board is, the layout being exactly like the Dungeon and the Highlands. Surely they could've come up with something a little more creative than that.

The light and dark fate is interesting, I guess, at least as an idea, but seeing the cards, you probably want to try and be unbound. And that brings me to the cards. I already see 2 cards that can be total killers. Guaranteed Toad? Really? And killed from losing to an Enemy? Though admittedly with 4 Craft a character that has had time to develop has little chance to be defeated by her.

Overall, I'm not very enthusuastic about this expansion. Will probably end up buying it anyhow for completeness sake, but it doesn't exactly appear all that awesome to me.

#48 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:34 AM

I don't want to be disagreeable, but you seem to be in a minority. I've been accused before of "settling for less" but other than the linear track of the board, I see a lot of originality, or at least some content, that advances D/D type concepts, making this much more than just a board game.

I think when the game is more known, the various aspects, characters and new ideas, we will be able to see a balance between the Expansions. Someone else has remarked how there are some things that bring balance, just to The City's potential to buy your victories. That seems valid to me.

But as long as you've mentioned these things, what would you really have liked with a Forest or Woodland expansion. Would you have done anything, or wanted anything in the way of light/dark Fate? This seems to be one of the most asked-for things by fans who post here, so what would you have done different with that.

I'm not trying to argue, btw, I am interested in what you think could still be better.

#49 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:41 AM

The creatures in the woods on both sides of the cover picture are definitely Oberon and Titania and it looks like theyre actually playable characters. Maybe theyre the first characters playable only with the specific expansion.. Maybe..

I really felt that the images in the trees were God/Spirit like and the mention of Oberon and Titania implied their presence, somehow.

I can't really think of any previous characters that present as more of a non-mortal type. Well, there is the Vampiress, Troll, and others, but in some way of catagorizing them, they would be 'demi-Gods' and not Gods or Spirits.

This is exciting, and not just because, I go as Oberon, either!

#50 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

If I don't find or can't use my 2nd edition character sheets, this would also do the trick. Thanks for posting.

• DomaGB likes this

#51 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

I don't understand why The City is considered nonlinear. You can't even go backwards! Sure you can stop at any store, but compared to the Dungeon and Highland where you could go in either direction freely, The City is even more linear!

#52 scubasteve319

scubasteve319

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

I am very excited to see them finally use the light and dark sides of fate.  This will add a fun, and unique feel to the already amazing game.

Finally all of the OCD owners can rest easy now we will have the 4th corner. :lol:

Long Live Talisman!

Long Live the 4th Edition!

“Do not be afraid; our fate
Cannot be taken from us; it is a gift.” - Dante Alighieri, Inferno

#53 Talismaniac

Talismaniac

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:26 AM

Finally a reason for two sided fate tokens. LOL I think the "path" mechanic sounds fun, will that be just in the forest or will it apply for other effects in other regions once you leave forest?

I'm guessing the path mechanic will be for the Woodland expansion only. You step into it, choose a path, and once you get your destiny you "step off" the path so to speak.

#54 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

♫♫I'm so excited,

And I just can't hide it,
I'm about to lose control
And I think I like it.
I'm so excited,
And I just can't hide it,
And I know, I know, I know, I know
I know I want you, want you.♫♫

I don't know why but that popped in my head yesterday when I saw this on FFG's website.  

The idea of Light/Dark fate...oh yeah.  The concept of making my friends reroll that die when they needed a 6 and got it?!? hahaha , I love it!

Seriously though, I am one of those OCD people that looks at my board with that missing corner and dies a little inside.  

I love the idea of insta-toadings.  I see toads very rarely on the board, we need more! 

Encounters with creatures that kill you off?  Yes, please.  Especially when you roll and win...but I spend a Dark fate and say "reroll that, (insert sardonic comment here)"  haha.

So far it looks good and like others I am very surprised they are pushing this out so quickly.....NOW, if they would only follow through on an FAQ!  

• 0beron and DomaGB like this

#55 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:32 PM

I am so excited too, Jedi, and thanks for "Point"-ing the way!

My wife is only excited over Dark Fate and using it to make other players re-roll their die. (who knew she was really competitive this way, after all?)

No one likes being turned into a Toad, but I agree that we see few of them in our games.

The possibility of instant and irrevokable Death has always been one of the guilty and dirty secrets of Talisman. I think there are 'sudden death' situations in most of the expansions, so why not.

I kept thinking 3rd quarter is end of the year, but I realize that it is not... and the previous poster who thinks it might be out by Gen-Con is probably right. If I wasn't too busy with other conferences and things in August I would go ('bout a 4 hour drive from Detroit area).

But I bought the Firelands at an area Hobby store (previously only bought online) and I think I will support a local Ven-Dorr this time too!

• JediKnightAmoeba likes this

#56 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:54 PM

I am so excited too, Jedi, and thanks for "Point"-ing the way!

My wife is only excited over Dark Fate and using it to make other players re-roll their die. (who knew she was really competitive this way, after all?)

Will you play an Oberon-Titania game if those are in fact the two characters?

• 0beron likes this

#57 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:03 PM

Yes,

Full disclosure: I'm a Wiccan of many years (since around 1970) and Oberon is my *Magickal* name. I actually took the name from a character in a comic book, the Assistant to Mr. Miracle in a DC comic book around that same time. Mr. Miracle was some sort of escape artist who was also related to other magical/super folks (I kinda forget him, but not his assistant, Oberon)

I also note that 'Oberon' was the name of an obscure character in Dark Shadow, the gothicy soap opera from that time as well.   But yeah, Shakespeare, Midsummer's Eve, Oberon, etc.  That suits me too

*** EDIT, hour later - - and of course you're asking if my wife will be Titania to my "Obie".

Truth to tell she prefers the luck of the draw; we usually deal 7 cards each and pick one from them. We've also started 'eliminating' the played ones. So we eventually work through the entire range of characters.

At any rate, I do have half a mind to mandate that only I can be "Oberon" (and perhaps can just play it default?)

Edited by 0beron, 08 May 2014 - 07:42 PM.

#58 Doc Demers

Doc Demers

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

Finally a reason for two sided fate tokens. LOL I think the "path" mechanic sounds fun, will that be just in the forest or will it apply for other effects in other regions once you leave forest?

I'm guessing the path mechanic will be for the Woodland expansion only. You step into it, choose a path, and once you get your destiny you "step off" the path so to speak.

I agree, I don't think the mechanic include the other boards. But it would be cool, to see a future expansion updating the "Adventure" cards from the main board and the previous expansions. Maybe some kind of expansion the link all the previous expansions together (like the one they made for Arkham Horror).

#59 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

I agree, I don't think the mechanic include the other boards. But it would be cool, to see a future expansion updating the "Adventure" cards from the main board and the previous expansions. Maybe some kind of expansion the link all the previous expansions together (like the one they made for Arkham Horror).

I personally don't see why the new Fate mechanic cannot apply beyond the Woodland board, though future news may reveal if that is true or false.

However, these comments make me wonder if POD expansions will have some fixes, or ....

those of us who want to see even more connectiveness between boards, and expansions, want PODs which can do that.

Or PODs that can enhance or be an expansion to an existing expansion.

So maybe a POD that ties in with Blood Moon, but is more Vampire oriented? The Vampire's Tower.

Or a POD that "unites" some of the bosses for a smackdown of epicness.  Ice Queen, Reaper and Lord of Darkness do a tag team on the regular players.

Things like that.

#60 rugal

rugal

• Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:22 PM

I wonder if i will not use some of the minis to make some homemade heroes for descent

a druid class morphing into a treant thing with the treant, and the man with the bear on the shoulders as a druid.

mmhh ... hope it will comes soon !

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS