Talisman The Woodland Expansion!

• Please log in to reply
282 replies to this topic

#21 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

Well, I'm excited beyond reason and feel we'll have much to talk about.  Does anyone remember the character sheets that came with a 2nd Edition expansion? They were about 8.5 by 11 inches and had areas to place your gold, strength, craft counters, as well as space to line up your various objects or followers?

I'm hoping to find mine in some long forgotten bin in the basement or where ever, as I think they would be helpful for organizing the players' areas especially now with all the new stuff coming in Woodland.

Since they mention gaining a Destiny card can transport you to a Runes space, I am thinking there is at least one Runes space on the Woodlands board, but you could teleport to any of the ones in the Middle region too. I like this because there are several characters or situations that also teleport to spaces that are not limited to one board (Hills space(s) in the Highlands, and now Firelands ' terrain changing to Woods, Forest, etc.). I am a strong proponent of these teleportation opportunities.

For those who use Jon/Nether Realm's suggestion of pulling nether cards on the Runes space, this opens up that other possibility for Nether stuff.  And indeed, if the Woodlands represents a Faery/Fae landscape, that traditionally is removed from normal time and space, it can support the home-brewing of Nether cards beyond that expansion's immediate usage.

There is even mention of a Witch Tree, my Goddess! I always felt that some of the more obscure references, many in the Warlock Quest deck, would possibly have resonance, actual presence, in later additions, so I am curious about this and other Woodland things. Will it be an actual space, or an Encounter 'place' card. I'm sure we'll find out.

Well, I could babble forever, but finally I wonder if King Oberon and Queen Titania are characters or some sort of NPC thing. The reason I say this is because 2 of the plastic figures could possibly be The King and Queen of Elfhame. The obvious female and the tall male with a staff and cloven feet, it appears?

Does anyone have a different idea with that?

#22 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:25 AM

Really looking forward to this expansion. I think the contents revealed so far show that FFG and the games designers have a clear understanding of what we the fans would like to see.

Myself and my wife play a game almost every night and several times a week the kids pick a charachter and join in. We've all found Talisman to be one of the best family/group games and this expansion looks to promise yet more varied gameplay.

Excellent idea regarding the fate mechanic and I love the thought of it affecting my characters destiny.

This game just keeps getting better (and bigger)

A definite pre order for me.

Hello Ancient Virus!

May I ask how old you and your wife are, or approximate? And your children?

I really envy someone who could play even once a week, let alone every night. Just too busy and quite frankly my wife likes to play but would never be interested in playing once a week, even. (we really are too busy, we volunteer a lot etc.)

In fact, sadly, we've only played 3 games with the Firelands expansion, since it came out earlier in the year.

#23 Ancient Virus

Ancient Virus

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:36 AM

Hi Oberon,

Certainly :-) I am 37 and my wife is the same age, children are 6 and 10 and love the fantasy theme.

On average my wife and I play about 4-5 games a week usually once the kids are settled. We play with a few houserules to speed things up, such as trading in trophies at 6 or starting with an extra attribute point.

We play with all small box expansions and the Dungeon and enjoy using the Pandoras Box or The Hunt as alt endings.

I was completely surprised by how much my wife enjoys the game and most nights shes asking me "are we going to play Talisman". I haven't got her to buy into Relic yet though, she's not keen on the 40K Theme.

On a life long Warlock Quest

#24 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:21 AM

One figure is of a woman, who appears to be smiling. It looks like she has spiders erupting out of her.

Then you have at least one spider token.

I'm pretty curious about this.

#25 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

So I am probably off (58 year old eyes), didn't see the spiders.  That sounds cooooool (spiders are creepy to me!).

I actually didn't think it was likely that Spirit/God/type characters would be playable, but you never know.

Forests and woodlands have lots of spiders. Maybe they have the ability to creep into/towards others woodland areas?

#26 Draii

Draii

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

...Does anyone remember the character sheets that came with a 2nd Edition expansion? They were about 8.5 by 11 inches and had areas to place your gold, strength, craft counters, as well as space to line up your various objects or followers?

I'm hoping to find mine in some long forgotten bin in the basement or where ever, as I think they would be helpful for organizing the players' areas especially now with all the new stuff coming in Woodland...

Do you mean these sheets?

http://www.randomdic...racterSheet.jpg

Somehow I have some, although I have the Swedish version of 2nd edition, and the sheets are english. Guess they are easy to print from this, or a better scan if you can't find yours.

I don't think they will help very much, but I have been thinking about creating special sheets for equipment. (One with four slots for what you normally can carry) and extra sheets with 4, 8 etc slots depending on Mules and such. Easier to see what how much space you have, and what to drop when you lose your beast of burden.

• 0beron likes this

#27 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

Or this one:

https://app.box.com/...xfa72qd5v83j7bi

• Uvatha likes this

#28 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

...Does anyone remember the character sheets that came with a 2nd Edition expansion? They were about 8.5 by 11 inches and had areas to place your gold, strength, craft counters, as well as space to line up your various objects or followers?

I'm hoping to find mine in some long forgotten bin in the basement or where ever, as I think they would be helpful for organizing the players' areas especially now with all the new stuff coming in Woodland...

Do you mean these sheets?

http://www.randomdic...racterSheet.jpg

Somehow I have some, although I have the Swedish version of 2nd edition, and the sheets are english. Guess they are easy to print from this, or a better scan if you can't find yours.

I don't think they will help very much, but I have been thinking about creating special sheets for equipment. (One with four slots for what you normally can carry) and extra sheets with 4, 8 etc slots depending on Mules and such. Easier to see what how much space you have, and what to drop when you lose your beast of burden.

yES! That would be the sheets of which I speak. I'm in the process of ... organizing around the house, so I'm pretty sure I'll come across them, even by the time Woodland comes out.   But if not, I can use the graphic.

Thanks so much.

#29 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:31 AM

And that has an awesome look of its own! I think its a little less structured for my tastes, but it would certainly organize and hold all the cards and tokens,etc.

#30 Ringskipper

Ringskipper

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:59 PM

One figure is of a woman, who appears to be smiling. It looks like she has spiders erupting out of her.

Then you have at least one spider token.

I'm pretty curious about this.

I'm hoping she's a witch or hag of some sort!

#31 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

The Toad King with bleed added for better printing:

https://app.box.com/...hg22ss4r0ob67tm

A higher quality print version is available if required (talismanamsilat@yahoo.co.uk)

Edited by talismanamsilat, 07 May 2014 - 01:14 PM.

#32 Talismaniac

Talismaniac

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:34 PM

Wow, this is seriously awesome news! I was NOT expecting another Talisman reveal until at least autumn at best, and definitely not a reveal for the fourth corner! Might as well throw my money in the general direction of FFG, because this reveal got me really excited too. I would have been totally satisfied with just a fourth corner expansion and all the hoopla that it would bring, but the new destiny system and total overhaul of the fate system made me very happy indeed. I can't wait for this one!

#33 Talismaniac

Talismaniac

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

At last, a genuine game mechanic for dark and light Fate. I too, love this. A slight hint of a non-linear board as they mention journeying to the "center" of the board, though that might be metaphoric.

I'm guessing this means the "Meeting with Destiny" space that they mentioned in the article is in the middle of the Woodland board, and this is where you get to draw one of the new Destiny cards. This could still mean that there's a character á la the Lord of Darkness or Eagle King at the very end of it, and if you beat him/her you would get some sort of reward.

By looking at the board itself, I'd say there's something evil lurking at the end of it. The Woodlands seem very verdant and lush up until the final stretch after the last corner, after that it seems to get bleaker and more barren with each space. Can't make out what the final space contains, but there's something there.

Edited by Talismaniac, 07 May 2014 - 03:56 PM.

#34 Bolithio

Bolithio

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

Finally a reason for two sided fate tokens. LOL I think the "path" mechanic sounds fun, will that be just in the forest or will it apply for other effects in other regions once you leave forest?

#35 adjogi

adjogi

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

Well done, good person!

I admire people who can craft like this, since there is not a single aesthethic bone in my body!  The Tiara looks like it came from a Barbie type doll possibly?  I want to call your Toad King, Barberellio, the First!

Actually, not far off! It is from a Lego Princess character and was used mainly because it was the only Crown i could find with the right dimensions:

http://www.amazon.co...rd_i=B002CEGVCI

It works in a pinch and I found one on ebay that only cost me $3...though Mr. Brogger's version is, of course, far superior.

Anyway, I feel we are getting off the topic of The Woodland here!

Welcome to "Monsters & Magic", a NJ based Talisman Game Club!

http://www.njtalisma...onstersandmagic

#36 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:26 PM

Anyway, I feel we are getting off the topic of The Woodland here!

To be sure!  We've run out of most things to speculate on. I'm wondering if there is a Boss at the end of this board. Even when I super enlarge the graphic I don't see enough detail to know for sure.

#37 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:17 PM

If you look at the box cover, I think the characters are currently wading/snooping in to "Meet Destiny" IE some kind of essence of creation, dare I say Mana Tree :P

If you notice the tress to the sides, you have two visages; this may be the king and queen spoken of in the blurb; perhaps in some dualistic way they guard the gates to destiny, I have a feeling Dark/Light fate comes into play here as well.

#38 Uvatha

Uvatha

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:25 PM

BOOM! So downloaded :)

#39 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

If you look at the box cover, I think the characters are currently wading/snooping in to "Meet Destiny" IE some kind of essence of creation, dare I say Mana Tree :P

If you notice the tress to the sides, you have two visages; this may be the king and queen spoken of in the blurb; perhaps in some dualistic way they guard the gates to destiny, I have a feeling Dark/Light fate comes into play here as well.

But the covers of the expansions always have an image of each new character. I see three and the two, possibly God-like images in the framing trees. Hence my thoughts that the new characters might include "Oberon and Titania".

#40 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:32 PM

You might be on to something, being as the two characters missing when you look at the figurines are the "Spider" (Although they may not necessarily be spiders, could be leaves, hedge, etc) woman and the "Treant", whom appear to be the ones stuck in the trees.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS