do love the Treant hero thing ! Want !

• Talismaniac likes this

#3 Quartzquiz

Quartzquiz

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:43 PM

Take my money!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I am SO loving the new dark and light fate mechanic! Would be cool if this came out in August, which would be just in time for my birthday!

#4 adjogi

adjogi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:53 PM

Fantastic news and my birthday is in less than six hours!

Forget August - let's hope for July  ;)

Edited by adjogi, 06 May 2014 - 03:57 PM.

• Invictus5000 and DomaGB like this

Welcome to "Monsters & Magic", a NJ based Talisman Game Club!

www.njtalisman.com

#5 Draii

Draii

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

Finally! The fourth corner! =)

I like that the Toad king is represented. If only I could get hold of that nice miniature on the toadstool =)

I don't quite understand the wording about the adventure cards.

All corners have their own cards that still count as adventure cards, but is called highland cards, dungeon card and city card.

Will the woodland cards not follow this, and instead "just" be woodland cards?

So, characters...

Totem warrior

Treant?

Ranger?

Fae?

Satyr?

It would be nice if we finally got a "good" character with psychic attack. Like the "Fae".

#6 adjogi

adjogi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

"...In fact, your characters will never encounter Adventure Cards while traveling in the Woodland, drawing Woodland Cards instead. Woodland Cards function the same as Adventure Cards, but instead portray the vast variety of creatures, monsters, and fae that you may meet on your travels...."

Basically, you are correct Draii in that all corners have their own "Adventure" cards.  I read this as meaning the same thing - that The Woodland cards will be exactly as all the other corner expansion cards (Highland etc). I think it's just the way they worded it and it's simply saying The Woodland has it's own deck.

Edited by adjogi, 06 May 2014 - 04:38 PM.

• Invictus5000 likes this

www.njtalisman.com

#7 illygraham

illygraham

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:42 PM

This. Makes. Me. So. Happy.
  • adjogi, Talismaniac and MJadams like this

#8 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:22 PM

I'm speechless. Well, never, but....   it's like they have listened to almost everyone and answered many many questions.

At last, a genuine game mechanic for dark and light Fate. I too, love this. A slight hint of a non-linear board as they mention journeying to the "center" of the board, though that might be metaphoric.

Extra dimension for characters with new quests/quest-like as focus. Having a lot more to think about with your character...

I was half way through, maybe 3/4 of the way through and I suddenly thought it was going to be too complicated. Then suddenly I was done, and realized, it would not be that complicated.

And my gosh, they added the Toad King. Someone's got to be happy. I'm sure there will be so much more to be revealed. Wow. just wow. 

• Talismaniac, Nioreh, evilmg and 1 other like this

#9 Uvatha

Uvatha

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:47 PM

FANTASTIC!! Really looking forward to this. Yeah lets get it in July! :)

Wondering though if the Light/Dark fate will be a "Woodland Set" only rule or a new rule no matter what set you play with?

#10 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:53 PM

So many people predicted this, and yes others asked for dark/light fate mechanics as well.

I gotta ask, is the Toad King from the 3rd edition?

I half expected something different, but it does sound good, great in fact!

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#11 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:03 PM

Toad King.

Land on a space,

Draw a card. (him.)

Turn into a Toad

Toad King moves three spaces counterclockwise.

Spend your next three turns hopping back to him to get your 1 S 1 C reward?

As far as the content in this expansion goes...it's like they read the forums and the hopes of the people that play this game frequently, and put it all in one box.

Forest corner? (And it looks kind of dark/dangerous...awesome..) Check.

Light/Dark Fate mechanics? Check.

Fey themes? Check.

Ranger? Check.

Toad King? Check

Sword of Destiny? Check.

Cant wait to buy this bad boy on release day.

#12 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:55 PM

Also what do you think the tokens are for?

#13 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:37 AM

Fate tokens are used to reroll die rolls. As for new mechanics:

...when you will engage a character in battle or psychic combat, you may spend one dark fate to force your opponent to lose a life!...when drawing Adventure Cards, you may spend a light fate to discard any of those cards and draw an equal number of cards to encounter...The Woodland introduces enhanced rules for fate, utilizing both light and dark fate. When a die is rolled, fate may be spent to reroll it, whether the die was rolled for movement, an attack roll, or for some other effect. Spending a light fate allows you reroll a die that you rolled, but dark fate allows you to manipulate your opponent and force him to reroll a die...A character with more light fate than dark fate is lightbound, and a player with more dark than light fate is darkbound. If you have equal numbers of both dark and light fate, you are unbound and immune to many of the effects that may plague other players. A player with no fate whatsoever becomes fateless, and has no control over how certain Woodland Cards will affect them. Many Woodland Cards have lightbound and darkbound effects, and you must resolve the effect corresponding to you. Unbound characters are unaffected by either darkbound or lightbound effects, but fateless characters must resolve the effect lower on the card.

Edited by DomaGB, 07 May 2014 - 12:38 AM.

#14 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:37 AM

I think Granville speaks of the 3 special tokens that you can spot on the second image. Probably they're used for special mechanics introduced with the expansion (board? Paths?), but we can only guess until another preview is issued.

The Woodland addresses most things we've been hoping for and the graphics look awesome so far.

The Toad King is a nice type of Stranger, a 100% toading chance if encountered by a normal character. It looks like you're going to be rewarded with a point of Strength/Craft if you survive the transformation, but not if somebody destroys/displaces the Toad King in the meantime, or you get teleported far away... :ph34r:

Destiny Cards look like they're excellent bonuses that allow you to replenish fate and spend it for special effects. What do you think of them? I think they might be a good answer to City's powerful stuff and Dungeon stat-grinding, especially the Dreaded looks quite ominous even if you are attacked by a character wielding a Flail or with overwhelming Strength.

• Granville and Invictus5000 like this

#15 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:16 AM

new tokens, ok

Edited by DomaGB, 07 May 2014 - 02:21 AM.

#16 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:22 AM

Updated Toad King Character Card:

https://app.box.com/...us9jo0qcyr2uduh

The Toad King now rewards you if you are a Toad, following the same idea of the Toad King Stranger in the Woodland Expansion!

#17 JemyM

JemyM

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:56 AM

My greatest concern while waiting for the "Forest" expansion was if it would be able to offer a viable fourth route next to the other three realms. That is, if it offers a new viable strategy without making older strategies obsolete. It seems now that the Woodlands will be focused on fate and a quest mechanic, which is quite interesting. I worry that it might be complicated and not rewarding enough to compete with the other routes but time will tell. It's clearly different from the other realms in content and feel and perhaps more strategic for characters with a high fate or specific reasons to take a path (like protecting oneself from spellcaster-players). Very interesting.

#18 adjogi

adjogi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:53 AM

Updated Toad King Character Card:

https://app.box.com/...us9jo0qcyr2uduh

The Toad King now rewards you if you are a Toad, following the same idea of the Toad King Stranger in the Woodland Expansion!

Just in time for our game on Saturday. I had to fashion a homemade Toad-King out of one of the regular toads. What d'ya think?

http://www.boardgame.../2013088/adjogi

www.njtalisman.com

#19 Ancient Virus

Ancient Virus

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:29 AM

Really looking forward to this expansion. I think the contents revealed so far show that FFG and the games designers have a clear understanding of what we the fans would like to see.

Myself and my wife play a game almost every night and several times a week the kids pick a charachter and join in. We've all found Talisman to be one of the best family/group games and this expansion looks to promise yet more varied gameplay.

Excellent idea regarding the fate mechanic and I love the thought of it affecting my characters destiny.

This game just keeps getting better (and bigger)

A definite pre order for me.
  • 0beron likes this
I break for no one.

#20 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:47 AM

Well done, good person!

I admire people who can craft like this, since there is not a single aesthethic bone in my body!  The Tiara looks like it came from a Barbie type doll possibly?  I want to call your Toad King, Barberellio, the First!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS