Jump to content



Photo

How to Best run the Assault on Imdaar Event as TO


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ChetSolo

ChetSolo

    Member

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:43 AM

So I was thinking about the rules we have currently for the Assault on Imdaar event. Yes, I know we're still awaiting the rules sheet, but I would like tother TO's opinions just in case it isn't explicitly stated in the rules sheet.

 

The website says that after the preliminary rounds, the top two finishers create lists using the new ships. Now after Round 4, do you calculate the Top four winners(for prizes) like normal amongst the whole field? Chances are the person who lost the game while using the new ships will fall out of the Top 4, so they got to PLAY with the new ships, but they didn't actually win one. Correct? Is that how other TOs would run it? I was also thinking of awarding the ships to the Top 2 Rebel and Top two Emprie players after calculating the points across the WHOLE field after round 4. Thoughts? To give numbers we typically have over 20 people at our events. 



#2 Khyros

Khyros

    Advocate of A & E Wings Everywhere

  • Members
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

Your assumption is invalid.

 

So you're running a 4 round tourney, which means that you have 17-32 people.  There will be 2 people undefeated (max) after 4 rounds.  Those two will square off against each other with the new ships.  As for 3rd and 4th, they will be 3-1.  And why should they necessarily be 3rd and 4th just because they were the last people to be undefeated?  

 

The strength of schedule heavily favors them, but does not guarantee they will be 3rd and 4th.  I did the math awhile ago, and they have like a 70% chance of being 3/4 and a 20% of not being 3/4, and a 10% to require the next level tie breaker (which FFG has conveniently left out for XWM rules... though based on the SWLCG rules, it would be the SOS of the SOS folks).  This is because the have at least 20 (round 4) + 10 (round 3) + 5 (round 2) = 35 SoS.  

 

 

 

 

With all of that said, I'm honestly not expecting a large turn out, and as such, I'm likely to run 3 rounds, with the 1/2 playing with the new ships during round 3 (and just use swiss points for 3/4).  Just my 2 cents.


The fleet:  

Spoiler

#3 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

    Member

  • Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:52 PM

Once the swiss rounds are over you will have rankings for that tournament from 1st thru 32nd (or however many players there were). The only thing that could possibly change during that final game with the new ships is 1st and 2nd. The winner gets 1st and the loser gets 2nd. There is no recalculation after that game is played. That game should be treated like a final cut in any other tournament (except that there are only 2 players).



#4 Jolleyone

Jolleyone

    Member

  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:40 AM

Also, if it is like the Kessel run events, the players will not create a list, there will be a pregenerated list for each side, and they get to choose which side to play.



#5 Krynn007

Krynn007

    Shinigami

  • Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

I thought it worked like this.
After Swiss rounds top player picks a side. Second place gets the other side
As for thrd and forth there are ships they pick, but they don't compete.
The first and second make lists with each side, and compete, which then decided first and second
How many ships does ffg send. I have no idea
I'm no TO but just from reading what ffg posted I thought that was how it works.
First and second have to user both ships in their list.
Which means that there is 4 plus another 4 for third and fourth?
So maybe the TO get 2 for organizing it?
If that's the case I hope they don't get greedy if they place in the top spot and take more ships

Edited by Krynn007, 10 May 2014 - 09:43 AM.

Rebels4 xwing, 2 awings, 2 bwings,1 ywing, 1 Falcon, 1hwk, 1 ewing, 2 z95,1 reb aces, 1 transport, 1 Tantive,
Imperials
6 tie/ft, 2 squints, 1 aces, 4 bombers, 1 tie adv, 1 shuttle, 2 Firespray, 2 phantom, 1 tie defender

#6 Sergovan

Sergovan

    Fly Casual

  • Members
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:22 PM

So I was thinking about the rules we have currently for the Assault on Imdaar event. Yes, I know we're still awaiting the rules sheet, but I would like tother TO's opinions just in case it isn't explicitly stated in the rules sheet.

 

The website says that after the preliminary rounds, the top two finishers create lists using the new ships. Now after Round 4, do you calculate the Top four winners(for prizes) like normal amongst the whole field? Chances are the person who lost the game while using the new ships will fall out of the Top 4, so they got to PLAY with the new ships, but they didn't actually win one. Correct? Is that how other TOs would run it? I was also thinking of awarding the ships to the Top 2 Rebel and Top two Emprie players after calculating the points across the WHOLE field after round 4. Thoughts? To give numbers we typically have over 20 people at our events. 

 

To make it easier on yourself, determine rankings after the swiss rounds. Top 2 play for first pick, everyone else stays ranked in order. Top 2 pick their ships and 3 picks from 2 left over then 4th gets last ship.

 

If 3 and 4 are tied in ranking you can have them playoff for right of 3rd pick at the same time as the top table is playing theirs.


Rebels: 5 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 6 A-Wing, 2 YT-1300, 5 B-wing, 3 HWK-290, 3 Z-95, 1 E-wing, 1 GR 75

Empire: 6 Tie Fighters, 6 Tie Interceptors (1- 181st, 1- RG), 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Firesprays, 4 Tie Bombers,

2 Lambda, 2 Tie Phantom, 2 Defender

Tournament results: (S)11 of 11; (S)3 of 11;(AoIA)2 of 3; ®12 of 28; (S) 9 of 10;


#7 Krynn007

Krynn007

    Shinigami

  • Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

So I was thinking about the rules we have currently for the Assault on Imdaar event. Yes, I know we're still awaiting the rules sheet, but I would like tother TO's opinions just in case it isn't explicitly stated in the rules sheet.

The website says that after the preliminary rounds, the top two finishers create lists using the new ships. Now after Round 4, do you calculate the Top four winners(for prizes) like normal amongst the whole field? Chances are the person who lost the game while using the new ships will fall out of the Top 4, so they got to PLAY with the new ships, but they didn't actually win one. Correct? Is that how other TOs would run it? I was also thinking of awarding the ships to the Top 2 Rebel and Top two Emprie players after calculating the points across the WHOLE field after round 4. Thoughts? To give numbers we typically have over 20 people at our events.


To make it easier on yourself, determine rankings after the swiss rounds. Top 2 play for first pick, everyone else stays ranked in order. Top 2 pick their ships and 3 picks from 2 left over then 4th gets last ship.

If 3 and 4 are tied in ranking you can have them playoff for right of 3rd pick at the same time as the top table is playing theirs.
Maybe im misunderstanding but top 2 unless it's tied should not have to play for first pick.

According to ffg it says first place picks first, then second.

I'm just curious how many ships a store has.

From my understanding the top 2 get both ships from whatever faction and then make a list with them.
3rd,and 4th get to pick last, so what do they pick from?
I'm a little confused how this works
Does the top 4 only get 1 each or what?

Edit.
Just re read the news section on the Imdaar alpha.
So let's say the To decided to do 4 rounds.
Everyone plays 3, then top 2 gets to play using 2 ships each, gets to keep one for themselves, Which after that the 3,4 place get to pick.
So how do you guys deal with if there is a tie for first, second, third,and etc?

Last tournament I was at the was 2 ties for first and second, so those 4 got the prizes.
I believe that is how it worked out

Edited by Krynn007, 10 May 2014 - 09:09 PM.

Rebels4 xwing, 2 awings, 2 bwings,1 ywing, 1 Falcon, 1hwk, 1 ewing, 2 z95,1 reb aces, 1 transport, 1 Tantive,
Imperials
6 tie/ft, 2 squints, 1 aces, 4 bombers, 1 tie adv, 1 shuttle, 2 Firespray, 2 phantom, 1 tie defender

#8 Galactic Funk

Galactic Funk

    Member

  • Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

Also, if it is like the Kessel run events, the players will not create a list, there will be a pregenerated list for each side, and they get to choose which side to play.


Assault on Imdaar Alpha is not the same per FFG's previously posted info.

The final 2 build new 100 point lists. One player uses Rebels, the other Imperials. Each player must incorporate the 2 new ships from their faction. You can use any pilot from a given ship and fill in with the rest of your collection.

As for how you arrive at the final pairing I'm guessing you simply use swiss rounds. I wouldn't think a cut to top 4 would be necessary. Swiss should determine 3rd and 4th based upon scoring.
  • Jolleyone likes this




© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS