New preview - Celebrimbor's Secret

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#101 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

Hey all, been awile since my last post, a few other games have kept me busy lately, but i think they have come and gone and now I'm back to my old stand by.

Another games? I dont understand. When you know the unique ring, you only can think about its, can't about another things (games). :P

Edited by Mndela, 13 May 2014 - 08:24 AM.

• Tracker1 likes this

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#102 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

I have not read all the posts contained in the thread, but anyone thinking about teaming her up with Grima?
His doomed effect could be nullified by her ability, and also draw a card. With Keys of Orchanc, you could get some of the higher cost silvan lore allies into play easily, she will also gain lore with her ring.

And that's why you are tracker1 and we are not. Great idea, great combo!
"Not all those who wander are lost"

#103 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

Yeah, Galadriel/Grima/Celeborn sounds good. A nice positive of Celeborn that I haven't seen mentioned too much is his 3 willpower, as the Leadership heroes generally only have 1 or 2 (Thorin and Sam excepted). This will give you a good starting point to make up for Galadriel not being able to contribute to questing at first. Once you get Nenya on her, she could pump Celeborn up to 7 willpower, and if he gets Light of Valinor, then he can do all that while still being available for combat. All in all, I'm really digging the Celeborn/Galadriel synergy in terms of both stats and abilities. Really nicely done. 

• Catastrophic09 and danpoage like this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#104 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:54 AM

I tried this Galadriel, Celeborn, Grima line up, worked pretty good. i used a bunch of proxies for some of the other Silvan cards spoiled.

First off Galadriel seems really, really good. Drop in 1 or more allies per round that don't need to exhaust to quest is absolutely amazing. That ability alone is totally worth her not doing much, but with the ring she can give that extra WP boost is awesome.
Partnered up with Celeborn each silvan ally entering play is boosted, and does not have to exhaust to quest, amazing. Her ability to draw a card and reduce threat kept my threat hovering in the low 30's even with Grima. With 1 Unexpected Courage she's phenomenal. Grima seemed a good fit for the deck, with Keys attached to Galadriel with ring attached can drop in those higher cost lore allies quickly.

I put together a quick deck with just silvan allies I have not used in ages, Lorien Guide, may just become useful again, i even had Silvelode Archer, although I don't think he'll make the final cut. Really looking forward to the other cards, but with so many other good ones coming out it's going to be hard to fit them all in one deck.

From what I've experienced silvan is going to be very fun to play, and Celeborn and especially Galadriel are going to open up some neat new deck building opportunities. Beyond speculation, their abilities seemed to work great, and the designers did a great job of capturing theme and functionality here. Very cool!

Now the agony of waiting.

Edited by Tracker1, 13 May 2014 - 09:55 AM.

• Glaurung, Gizlivadi, danpoage and 2 others like this
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#105 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

. Once you get Nenya on her, she could pump Celeborn up to 7 willpower, and if he gets Light of Valinor, then he can do all that while still being available for combat. All in all, I'm really digging the Celeborn/Galadriel synergy in terms of both stats and abilities. Really nicely done.

Wow, completely forgot LoV can be attached to silvan. That card has been so Glorfindel centric I have not actually read the text in over a year. That is a very potent combo. That's why your Raven 1015, and I'm not.
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#106 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

Yes, same happened to me: Light of Valinor has read "attach to Glorfindel" to me since the beginning. But in fact, it is great for Celeborn also. The problem only arises when all these potential candidates happen to be in the game together.

#107 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

It's admittedly not the most thematic thing in the world, as technically only Noldor should be able to benefit from the Light of Valinor, but in terms of gameplay, I guess all the Elves need some love.

• Nickpes likes this

#108 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

Galadriel adding her willpower instead of just questing is really cool. Opens up heaps of new ideas. Which is the best part of this game, deck building and interesting combos.

#109 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

It's admittedly not the most thematic thing in the world, as technically only Noldor should be able to benefit from the Light of Valinor, but in terms of gameplay, I guess all the Elves need some love.

True, but when you have to choose, Light of Valinor fits better to Noldor heroes anyway (Glorfindel most, Elrond next, Elladan and Elrohir to an extent). But if you do not have them, and at the same time have Celeborn, he is certainly a good candidate.

#110 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

Why can only Noldor benefit from the light of Valinor? All the elves can reside there.

I mean technically isn't the light of Valinor actually just the sun and moon? (After the trees were cut down)?

#111 Distractionbeast

Distractionbeast

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

Why can only Noldor benefit from the light of Valinor? All the elves can reside there.

I mean technically isn't the light of Valinor actually just the sun and moon? (After the trees were cut down)?

Not really.  From the Tolkien Gateway:

"The Light of Valinor was a term that referred not only to the glorious, unsullied light of the Two Trees, but also to the pure wisdom and understanding that those living in the Blessed Realm possessed.

The Light of Valinor derived from light before any fall and is the light of art binded with reason and good bound with beauty.

The Light of Valinor appeared to be a quality that the inhabitants of Aman could spread to others: the Eldar who went there and were instructed by the Valar gained much wisdom and beauty, so that they surpassed all other Elven races in greatness. When the Noldor came back to Middle-earth in the First Age, they spread the Light of Valinor that was in them to the Edain, so that the Edain became a nobler people."

#112 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

The quote from Distractionbeast summed it up. The Light of Valinor represents the wisdom and enhanced state that the Noldor were granted by actually living in Valinor and learning directly from the Valar (and Maiar). The attachment represents this power and higher state of being (best exemplified by Frodo seeing Glorfindel as a being of pure light when he is in his wraith-like state). Silvan (and Sindar) never made it to Valinor, and so they technically aren't on the same level and never received this instruction. I can buy a thematic justification that the Silvan can benefit from Light of Valinor indirectly by being taught by the Noldor (such as Galadriel teaching her people), but it's just interesting because the main and primary distinction between Noldor and Silvan is whether or not they lived in Valinor.

#113 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:00 AM

Yeah, it should be only Noldor and not be unique. But if not unique, it would be too good for 1 cost, so it would have had to be 2, and then we would have had to agree with Rapier and others who claim that Unexpected Courage is wrong. Or maybe it could have been non-unique, 2-cost but neutral...

• Rapier likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS