New preview - Celebrimbor's Secret

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#41 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

Galadriel... that is just darn cool.  Really like how unique she is, and that is a really strong ability.

• DurinIII and chuckles like this

#42 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

Does anyone else feel like the elven aesthetic is awfully similar to the one in the films? That Nenya, those structures in the background... I don't know, I think it's time to give it a break.... even though it's all over the cards in the borders anyway :(

Edited by Gizlivadi, 06 May 2014 - 03:22 PM.

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#43 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

As for the other cards,

It looks like the Desecrated Ruins treachery adds damage to the active location. Could this mean a battle for locations, similar to Cair Andros?

Orophin seems to say something about returning something to our hands. Allies? from play or discard pile?

#44 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:45 PM

I am not contributing anything new to this discussion, but, I agree with all of you who are saying that Galadriel is amazing in both art and in abilities. Wow!!! I am so excited about this. Also, the Ent ally, omg, wow, I am so excited!

• ZanzibarLand likes this

#45 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

I already see myself making this hero setup: Galadriel, Elrond, and Glorifindel. Yep, pretty epic.

#46 Distractionbeast

Distractionbeast

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

Galadriel = perfect design (playtest experience pending).  Great job Caleb & Co.  I like seeing heroes follow this line of design:  good synergy, but also globally useful.  Her drawback is thematic and non-crippling, IMO.  Just keep it up!

• Nerdmeister, DurinIII and Catastrophic09 like this

#47 Karlson

Karlson

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:28 PM

I think the direction they took with Galadriel is perfect for her character.  Providing unseen support for other people is exactly what she did in the Lord of the Rings storyline.  Her on-card ability to exhaust for card draw and threat reduction is also brilliant.  She would work great in powerful doomed decks, I'm thinking.  The synergies are certainly going to explode this cycle.  

• DurinIII and Catastrophic09 like this

#48 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

What I am really stoked about is Ent. Nice touch, powerful and cheap ally with a drawback, which can be mitigated by readying effects or playing him extremely early.

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo, 06 May 2014 - 04:30 PM.

• DurinIII likes this

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#49 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

This does make me wonder if Noldor will play with the doomed key word as one of their mechanics. (As opposed to it just being Isenguard).

I think they might be a good fit for it.

#50 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

Not a lot of love circulating on here about Nenya, but what another great card! Galadriel with Nenya will be epic!

#51 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

Not a lot of love circulating on here about Nenya, but what another great card! Galadriel with Nenya will be epic!

I think most people are just rolling Nenya into Galadriel when they praise the character.

Although it is a significant drawback that she can't use her 4 willpower without drawing it, which is an interesting bit of design (and further encourages a lore/spirit deck for getting card draw or access to word of command).

• DurinIII likes this

#52 Emrad

Emrad

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

We're getting three elven hero's in this cycle:  Celeborn, Galadriel and a "Silvan Spirit hero".  My hope for Arwen is fading fast.

Please not a hero Arwen :(

I like the ally so much, I just can't get rid of her.

#53 -nebur-

-nebur-

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

Really really cool...

I can agree to everything you wrote and can add one point:

If you can ready her (Courage, Miruvor, Cram...), you could play Desperate Alliance to use her ability twice in a round, cause it would be the same like Lore-Aragorn.

• kyrie likes this

#54 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

Why would Noldor have Doomed? They have absolutely nothing to do with the dark arts nor would they be dangerous in their ways or possibly be treacherous... they're the total opposite, complete beings of light. I would love to hear a case for the opposite though, I think it would give it a good identity, albeit strange thematically.

• Djenni likes this

#55 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

Why would Noldor have Doomed? They have absolutely nothing to do with the dark arts nor would they be dangerous in their ways or possibly be treacherous... they're the total opposite, complete beings of light. I would love to hear a case for the opposite though, I think it would give it a good identity, albeit strange thematically.

Thematically it could represent their leaving for the West - their time in middle earth grows short and so they only assist for a short time - hence raising your threat.

I mean I guess rather than "doomed" you could have them have "raise your threat" the way Glorfindel does - but I think that "doomed" as a key word is better than "raise your threat" if you want it to apply as effects are played - for instance Noldor events or attachments could have it.

Noldor allies already have an effect to represent this with their card discarding after use.

#56 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:07 PM

Thematically it could represent their leaving for the West - their time in middle earth grows short and so they only assist for a short time - hence raising your threat.

Oh snap! You're right...  Still a bit doubtful but a good enough excuse.

Edited by Gizlivadi, 06 May 2014 - 05:08 PM.

#57 kyrie

kyrie

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:36 PM

Really really cool...

If you can ready her (Courage, Miruvor, Cram...), you could play Desperate Alliance to use her ability twice in a round, cause it would be the same like Lore-Aragorn.

This is a great point! Desperate Alliance works very well with her along with Unexpected Courage. I just wonder if both players' allies would then not exhaust to commit to quests if you tossed her over before the quest phase. It would seem that a passive ability only works for the player who is currently controlling the character, so probably not...

Edited by kyrie, 06 May 2014 - 05:36 PM.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

#58 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:04 PM

Really really cool...

This is a great point! Desperate Alliance works very well with her along with Unexpected Courage. I just wonder if both players' allies would then not exhaust to commit to quests if you tossed her over before the quest phase. It would seem that a passive ability only works for the player who is currently controlling the character, so probably not...

"Allies you control, do not exhaust to commit to the quest during the round they enter play" 

This is actually a really complicated question rules-wise. For instance:

I own Galadriel and I play Arwen down this turn. On the normal scheme of things Arwen can now quest without exhausting. The question is when is this rule "checked"

If it's "Do you own Galadriel at the time that you play Arwen, that means that Arwen can now quest without exhausting." Or is it checked only in the quest phase which would be, "Arwen was played this round and you own Galadriel during the quest phase, therefore Arwen doesn't exhaust to quest now"

It depends if in rules terms, the ability to exhaust without questing is only checked at the quest stage or whether it's a property that the Arwen card gains as a result of being played while a Galardriel card is in play under your control.

The first instance would only allow the player who owns Galadriel during the quest phase to benefit, the second would allow you to play desperate alliance during the planning phase (after playing your own allies down) to get a double benefit from her.

Currently nothing could occur in between playing Arwen and questing to knock Galadriel out of play - but you could imagine a future encounter card effect that did interupt between planning and the quest phase such that Galadriel was alive when you played Arwen, but dead by the time you actually went to quest. In that instance I would find it more logical to assume that Arwen can still quest without exhausting even though you no longer have Galadriel (that would make it a property that has been bestowed on the Arwen card like a stack in magic).

However other effects in the game so far have tended to work on a simpler check system (do you have the cards in play 'now' at the moment they apply) So I suspect that the rules response will be only the player who owns Galadriel in the quest phase benefits.

I'd say it was worth a rules clarification though because both rules readings are legitimate.

Edited by Rapier, 06 May 2014 - 06:06 PM.

#59 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:16 PM

"Allies you control, do not exhaust to commit to the quest during the round they enter play" 

This is a passive effect which only applies when you are committing your characters to the quest. Each player commits any of their characters to the quest at one time, starting with the first player and proceeding clockwise in order. There is a player action window in between each player committing their characters to the quest, so you can use Galadriel and Desperate alliance to have two players' character quest without exhausting.

1. First player controls Galadriel and commits their characters to the quest. Any of the first players' characters which entered play this round do not exhaust.
2. First player plays Desperate Alliance and passes Galadriel to the second player.

3. Second player commits their characters to the quest. Now that they control Galadriel, her passive applies to any of the second players' characters which entered play this round. Those characters do not exhaust.

This passive effect, just like the one on Light of Valinor, is only checked at the time a character is committed to the quest. After that, it wouldn't even matter if Galadriel left play - the exhaustion side-effect has already been checked.

Edited by danpoage, 06 May 2014 - 06:20 PM.

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
—Oscar Wilde

#60 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:29 PM

Epic preview! As amazing as Galadriel and Nenya are I'm more excited for Orophin and the Ent ally!!! Already run Haldir ally and am already planning to run Rumil, finally have the last brother revealed =)!! Really wish we knew what he did though..
Also, the Ents are awesome... probably gonna chuck 3 in my deck. Low low cost for pretty damn decent stats and only real drawback (who puts attachments on allies?) is they come into play exhausted. After that they're cheap beasts! Also, they aren't really creatures so I for one am happy they didn't get that trait even though it would have been nice for Radagast to have more use.
Going to have to at least TRY to swap out Spiritfindel for Galadriel and see how my lore/spirit deck works that way, can swap in Nenya instead of Asfaloth.... might work perfectly....

Overall a very exciting preview! The art for Galadriel is insanely good (that's one gorgeous elf lord....) and the quest sounds epic as well. God damn all these awesome spoilers with awesome player cards and awesome quests that we aren't actually gonna get our hands on for so damn long....

• Narsil0420 and Catastrophic09 like this

~Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul~

~One ring to cover the lands in complete and utter misery, one ring for the dark lord to work his wretched trickery~

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS