New preview - Celebrimbor's Secret

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#21 Catastrophic09

Catastrophic09

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

WHAAAAT! I'M SO STOKED FOR THIS PACK!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks incredibly amazing!! Galadriel is my favorite and they have done such an amazing job with her! And this is only the 5th pack, how will the 6th ever beat all of this awesomeness!!? 

Did anyone else notice this is our first hero with no flavor text!?? And I thought when Galadriel finally came out her threat would be more but we still continue the trend of no spirit hero having more than 9 threat.

We're also getting ents in this pack!! How many amazing things can they cram into this Ring-maker cycle!? It is sad that they aren't Creatures thought... Radagast :( 

And now Orophin to have all the 3 brothers who is our mystery accidentally revealed artwork from so long ago..  ;)

I think this is the most excited I've ever been with a preview article!!! I love this game!!  :D  :D

• OnkelZorni, Narsil0420, Emrad and 3 others like this

#22 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

I really like the direction they took with Galadriel.

I think that everyone immediately going oh she's amazing with Unexpected Courage, rather proves the point I was making about all cards that are designed having to keep it in mind though. Which makes me pretty damn sad.

The ent has much worse stats than I was expecting. I mean he has really good stats for cost 2 (although he does come into play exhausted as many people were expecting).

I was expecting all Ents to have more defence and hitpoints than 2 and 3. I guess a wandering ent may be the youngest and therefore weakest of them.

Did anyone read the text on secrect chamber? it sounds like a pretty interesting mechanic for that adventure. You lose the game if the Orc's search finds the secret chamber it seems.

• OnkelZorni and DurinIII like this

#23 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

With a UC Glorifindel can do a lot of think......

Or she can stuff cram into her face while multitasking :D

• DurinIII and ZanzibarLand like this

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#24 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

And you might think its a long wait for the Dunland trap!  This one won't come out until fall!  Ahhhh....Why did I look at this preview......

• Qaanaaq and PsychoRocka like this

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#25 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:54 PM

Did anyone read the text on secrect chamber? it sounds like a pretty interesting mechanic for that adventure. You lose the game if the Orc's search finds the secret chamber it seems.

Yeah, I just went back and read what we're actually going to get in the scenario itself (usually what I look forward to most in the APs, but...well...) and what little they tell us does look pretty interesting! We're finally roving around Ost-in-Edhil, which is something I've been hoping for since they announced Voice of Isengard, so I'm pretty excited for this! 

In other news, does anyone remember if we're still on track with the AP names for this cycle, per the list that was posted on bgg a few months back? I seem to remember Celebrimbor's Secret as being one, but can't remember what was postulated for the sixth pack. Because, y'know, I haven't had enough excitement from this preview...

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#26 NotAZombie

NotAZombie

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:59 PM

Can you imagine her in a dwarf deck with Dain? Or an outlands deck? Dang. 

#27 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

Can you imagine her in a dwarf deck with Dain? Or an outlands deck? Dang. 

No, I would never do such a travesty. I mean Celeborn and Galadriel, who would not have them together? The great thing about the design of the two is that you need not have them together like Elladan and Elrohir but it makes totally sense to. But who the third with the current pool? I think Haldir will easily fill the gap later if he is Lore but for now I might invest in a sort of travesty and go with Bifur since most of the Silvan are Lore and not cheap.

#28 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

In other news, does anyone remember if we're still on track with the AP names for this cycle, per the list that was posted on bgg a few months back? I seem to remember Celebrimbor's Secret as being one, but can't remember what was postulated for the sixth pack. Because, y'know, I haven't had enough excitement from this preview...

Yes, we are exactly on track
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#29 Morithain

Morithain

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

Galadriel, Elrond, and Spirit Glorfindel = DESTROY EVERYTHING.

• DurinIII likes this

#30 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

Speechless ... I am in love, i need it badly
  • DurinIII likes this

Lord of all Noldor

A star in the night And a bearer of hope

He rides into his glorious battle alone Farewell to the valliant warlord

#31 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

She is really cool with a Doom deck…….. And thematically  also….Galadriel is not  fighter and she not running around as well. she just there give a spirit strange to everyone (if she have a ring) and also  give advice (card draw) and shelter( reduce threat).

She can be really amazing in 4 players game and also cool with some doom mechanic. you can play Saruman for 2 threat and he will take away encounter card, quest, fight or defend. not bad not bad. 

Art is something! This is Galadriel! That how i image her! much much better then in the movie……….

• OnkelZorni and Glowwyrm like this

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#32 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

A hero that can't do **** by herself. Wow...

Wait, so drawing a card and lowering your threat by 1 is nothing? Also, being able to get double use out of allies the round they come into play seems pretty good. Just think about that with Core Set Gandalf - ridiculous!

Exactly, i mean Galadríel effectively negates the "raise your threat by 1" each turn, and then some.

Most likely the only Icelandic LOTR LCG gamer around these parts.

#33 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:59 PM

We can also boost her will power….. Let say  Galadriel Eowyn Grima support deck.  Lot of cards draw, Threat reduce and Will power boost. Like Dunadain Signal and or Protector of Lorien or there is another spirit card from the core set +1 spirit attachment. 

They can easy quest round 25 every round and also give a card draw and threat reduce. sound very good in 3 or 4 players game. Same time she is not super powerful, you must to know how to use her! Good way! I like it!

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#34 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:05 PM

So happy to get an Ent. I think we all probably imagined Ents as having tons of defense and hit points, but that wouldn't work without making them super expensive or giving them a big handicap (like only being able to ready every few turns or something like that). As it is, this Ent has the same stats as Haldir for half the cost. That's not bad, especially if you can get a few on the table at once.

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#35 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:38 PM

We're getting three elven hero's in this cycle:  Celeborn, Galadriel and a "Silvan Spirit hero".  My hope for Arwen is fading fast.

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#36 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 833 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:52 PM

AW-F*CKING-RIGHT! Now this is the preview I was epxecting for. As it has already been said, the art is amazing, the cards are amazing, everything about this pack looks amazing. I love how Galadriel works almost like a presence in the distance, she's not a hero of action, but rather a guiding force that helps the rest of the heroes. Can't wait to get her.

• Catastrophic09 and Nickpes like this

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#37 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

This AP can't come soon enough for me!

Galadriel is such an amazing card.

• DurinIII likes this

"To each of us falls a task. And all the Emperor requires of us Guardsmen is that we stand in line, and we die fighting. It is what we do best: we die standing."

-General Sturnn, Cadian 412th regiment

#38 7theye

7theye

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

Wait am I missing something. Why does everyone want to put UC on her?

She only exhausts for her ability and it's limited to once per round. So what the point of readying her?

#39 Teamjimby

Teamjimby

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:59 PM

Once for her printed ability, once for the Nenya ability.

#40 Downer

Downer

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:13 PM

A hero that can't do **** by herself. Wow...

Wait, so drawing a card and lowering your threat by 1 is nothing? Also, being able to get double use out of allies the round they come into play seems pretty good. Just think about that with Core Set Gandalf - ridiculous!

Spirit has not had consistent card drawing until now, so I think Galadriel is amazingly powerful. As Ian said, once you get Nenya and some readying (UC, Miruvor, etc.) she becomes a real powerhouse.  In multiplayer she is even better because she can target a Tactics player, who would ordinarily lack both card draw and threat reduction.  I just don't see how targeted card draw *and* threat reduction in the same ability counts as nothing, but I am interested to hear your take.

OK, here is my take:
Allowing allies to quest without exhausting first turn they enter is good, but not so many allies can do anything besides questing, especially Spirit allies. 

One of the main roles of the heroes is being a front line, and she can't quest, attack or defend, so if you don't draw anything for her in your opening hand - you're out of luck and two other heroes better be able to handle the questing and fighting to be done.

I think the proper response is "wow, she'd be great... in any other Sphere." She's a really good card, but boring old Eowyn is generally better in my opinion, and she can't compete with the ever-broken Glorfindel.  In any other faction, I would love her, but here it's pretty meh.

She splashes... okayish. Going off blue means that you'll likely lose a lot of the questing advantage as your allies will cost 2-3 and often have 1 or 0 willpower, which is nice but not amazing given her weaknesses. As a standalone deck, she would work best with Grima to power out worthwhile cards and manage threat. As a support deck, I could see her and 2x Tactics heroes, where they are dedicated combat and she just manages their threat and draws cards, while providing cheap Spirit cards. You'd lose out on most of the questing advantage, but it'd probably be worth it (so long as the other decks can pick up the slack).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS