• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:34 AM

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4798

I just want to say - I was wrong. I am overwhelmed at how awesome hero Galadriel looks with Narya!  :)

• OnkelZorni, Catastrophic09, Glowwyrm and 2 others like this

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#2 Teamjimby

Teamjimby

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

Wow!  Galadriel and an Ent ally.  I can't wait!

#3 Emrad

Emrad

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

I'm sooo disapointed that Ents aren't Creatures too :( :(

Radagast doesn't get any love, this is sad.

Other than that, I love how Galadriel works both game and lore-wise. Can't wait to build something with her!

• OnkelZorni, spalanzani, Catastrophic09 and 3 others like this

#4 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:51 AM

Time to brew.
"I will not be released in the second quarter!" - Nalir the Dwarf

#5 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

Oh, and it's good to have Magali doing the elven art again. For those that disagree, please take a look at the Elrond ally again.
  • OnkelZorni, spalanzani, Catastrophic09 and 3 others like this
"I will not be released in the second quarter!" - Nalir the Dwarf

#6 ZanzibarLand

ZanzibarLand

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

The art for all these player cards is lovely. I'm super excited for these cards now. I was interested but now I'm frothing at the mouth. I wonder what kind of Ent synergy will pop up, or if it'll be a small trait?

Edited by ZanzibarLand, 06 May 2014 - 09:59 AM.

• DurinIII and spalanzani like this

#7 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:00 AM

What the what! Mind blowing, I thought for sure they'd save her for the last pack!
She's so freaking awesome and works well with Silvan elves!
And now we can see where the mystery elf art went, it's Orophin!
  • OnkelZorni, DurinIII, spalanzani and 3 others like this

#8 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

This is so awesome that I can't quite believe it's not the last pack in the cycle. Galadriel is super powerful, but has a nice in-built limitation (you have to draw Nenya to take advantage of her willpower for questing). Once you've got Unexpected Courage and Nenya going though, you could have Galadriel's 4 willpower for questing, an extra card per turn, and would never raise your threat (other than encounter card effects and Doomed). Add on top of that the bonus that allies don't exhaust to quest on first turn. Damn.

• OnkelZorni, DurinIII, Catastrophic09 and 3 others like this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#9 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:13 AM

A hero that can't do **** by herself. Wow...

#10 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

What the what! Mind blowing, I thought for sure they'd save her for the last pack!
She's so freaking awesome and works well with Silvan elves!
And now we can see where the mystery elf art went, it's Orophin!

I know, right! Along with Rumil in Dunland Trap (possibly?), we'll have all three elf-brothers! 

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#11 chrsjxn

chrsjxn

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

Holy crap, Galadriel is amazing.

Being able to avoid the end of the round threat increase (and draw extra cards to boot) is going to be amazing for any sort of combo deck. And in solo play you may not have to ever worry about the threat cap, especially if you go mono-spirit.

And that's entirely ignoring her other ability, which gives every ally a free quest the round it comes into play. Going to be fun with Celeborn, that's for sure.

The only downside is... she doesn't synergize with the Ent!

• DurinIII likes this

#12 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:48 AM

With a UC Glorifindel can do a lot of think……. She is Amazing! Art is super cool! I wait for her 2 years……COOOOOOOLLLL!!!

• OnkelZorni, Narsil0420, DurinIII and 4 others like this

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#13 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:53 AM

The only downside is... she doesn't synergize with the Ent!

That doesn't bother me. I don't think there's any mention of a linkage between her and the ents, so thematically it's fine that they don't synergize.

I really like how they did Galdriel. It's a bit annoying that she is so limited (especially without attachments) and has so little versatility, but with Nenya and Unexpected Courage on her, she offers a LOT, though still very narrowly-focused. Her ability also allows her to get to the important attachments more quickly.

Thematically, I think she is about as spot on as they come. She brings rest, wisdom, and encouragement to other adventurers rather than jumping into the fray herself.
  • Mich the One likes this

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#14 CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:18 AM

There haven't been many recent heroes I've actually been looking forward to, but Galadriel looks awesome. I really want to build some elf decks now.

• Narsil0420 likes this

#15 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

YES! Finally i get the Galadríel hero i've wanted for sooo long :)

• Narsil0420 likes this

Most likely the only Icelandic LOTR LCG gamer around these parts.

#16 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

Wait, so drawing a card and lowering your threat by 1 is nothing? Also, being able to get double use out of allies the round they come into play seems pretty good. Just think about that with Core Set Gandalf - ridiculous!

Spirit has not had consistent card drawing until now, so I think Galadriel is amazingly powerful. As Ian said, once you get Nenya and some readying (UC, Miruvor, etc.) she becomes a real powerhouse.  In multiplayer she is even better because she can target a Tactics player, who would ordinarily lack both card draw and threat reduction.  I just don't see how targeted card draw *and* threat reduction in the same ability counts as nothing, but I am interested to hear your take.

Edited by danpoage, 06 May 2014 - 11:27 AM.

• OnkelZorni, klaymen_sk, Sinamil and 2 others like this

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
—Oscar Wilde

#17 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:34 AM

Wait, so drawing a card and lowering your threat by 1 is nothing? Also, being able to get double use out of allies the round they come into play seems pretty good. Just think about that with Core Set Gandalf - ridiculous!

Spirit has not had consistent card drawing until now, so I think Galadriel is amazingly powerful. As Ian said, once you get Nenya and some readying (UC, Miruvor, etc.) she becomes a real powerhouse.  In multiplayer she is even better because she can target a Tactics player, who would ordinarily lack both card draw and threat reduction.  I just don't see how targeted card draw *and* threat reduction in the same ability counts as nothing, but I am interested to hear your take.

OK, here is my take:
Allowing allies to quest without exhausting first turn they enter is good, but not so many allies can do anything besides questing, especially Spirit allies. 

One of the main roles of the heroes is being a front line, and she can't quest, attack or defend, so if you don't draw anything for her in your opening hand - you're out of luck and two other heroes better be able to handle the questing and fighting to be done.

#18 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:43 AM

oh, oh, oh.... OH.

Sorry, 1sec, wc.

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#19 Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:50 AM

OK, here is my take:
Allowing allies to quest without exhausting first turn they enter is good, but not so many allies can do anything besides questing, especially Spirit allies. 

One of the main roles of the heroes is being a front line, and she can't quest, attack or defend, so if you don't draw anything for her in your opening hand - you're out of luck and two other heroes better be able to handle the questing and fighting to be done.

But that's how they balanced her for the game.  If she could quest with four from round 1 (and she can contribute from round 1 if you get Nenya in your opening hand) she would be totally broken.  As is, she's insanely powerful, and there's lots of combinations she will be good in.  For example, pair her with Spirit Glorfindel and Eowyn, start with a low threat and quest like crazy.  If your threat is below the engagement cost of enemies, Galadriel will make sure it stays that way, and she'll provide you with the extra card draw, she'll accelerate your deck.   You can keep questing along, building up your forces until you get Nenya. 

Also, she'd be thematically weird if she were involved in combat.  I can imagine Elrond reliving his glory days and going on an adventure, but not Galadriel.

• OnkelZorni, klaymen_sk, danpoage and 2 others like this

#20 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:53 AM

All very good yes. Surprise this is not the last pack. Galadriel and Gandalf, yes, and Word of Command. You can Sneak Gandalf for quest and use Word of Command in the same phase, very, very good.

• DurinIII likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS