• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DarkRaven47

DarkRaven47

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:20 PM

Came across this situation while playing Curse of the Dark Pharaoh:

- Playing with the The Dark Pharaoh as herald.

- Cthulhu is the Ancient One.

- One of the investigators is Monterey Jack.

Monterey Jack starts with 3 maximum sanity. He's down to 2 maximum sanity because of Cthulhu's Dreams of Madness. When he acquires his two unique items, he loses 2 sanity due to The Dark Pharaoh's Know, O Thief. That brings him down to 0 before the game even starts. Does that mean he loses half of his items and starts with 1 sanity in the Asylum? Seems unfair. Maybe I'm missing something.

Edited by DarkRaven47, 05 May 2014 - 12:21 PM.

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,259 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

"Sometimes it's hard to be Monterey Jack", reads an FAQ entry (or something similar, I'm quoting at memory)... yeah, you start at the Asylum..

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:41 PM

DarkRaven,

You will find that this is, in fact, the case.  While I do not play with the Dark Pharaoh Herald, I can tell you it would NOT apply to starting equipment for the very reason stated in your inquiry.

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by The Professor, 05 May 2014 - 12:42 PM.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#4 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:04 PM

Seems unfair. Maybe I'm missing something.

Unfair? Possibly. It's certainly harsh. But it is thematic. Monterey Jack is an Archaeologist. In the eyes of the Dark Pharoah that makes him little more than a grave robber. A desecrator of the dead who deserves to be punished.

#5 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

Once you get past that the Dark Pharaoh is rather benign.

Try playing with the updated Cthulhu: you'll find Jack is at 1 maximum sanity! And with Dunwich Horror's Injury/Madness cards on top of that? As soon as you go insane, you could draw a Madness card. If it's Schizophrenia... well...

Edited by Tibs, 05 May 2014 - 02:41 PM.

#6 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:44 PM

Yeah, I've commented on this before.

If you are playing with Cthulhu as the Ancient One and the Dark Pharoah as the Herald….

and  Michael, Marc, Monterey, Skids, Tony, or Zoey pulls Mythos Lore as their Skill…

Not only will they start the game insane (which Monterey and Zoey will regardless of the skill they draw) but if they then draw Schizophrenia as their Madness, they'll be devoured in the first turn of play automatically. Yikes.

#7 DarkRaven47

DarkRaven47

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:04 PM

Wow, thanks everyone. It seems that things will just get nastier as I explore the expansions!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS