House Ruling Rumor Rewards

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Indalecio

Indalecio

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

You are being played by your heroes, mate.

I can accept that your metagame is different than mine, and that you think plot cards are more valuable than I do, but that's a hell of a house rule you got. No way I would have accepted such deal, even with booze involved in the bargain.

Firstly, unlimited currency supply makes no sense, otherwise like the above poster said you may just purchase your whole deck with no notion of saving said currency for it. Your crazy +12 threat per quest completely tears this rule apart, tramples it with iron boots and throws the remains into the fires of Mount Doom. But even more importantly, what do you do with this billion threat tokens? Play enablers and weak versions of OL cards in exchange of extra actions and rerolls to the heroes? No wonder why your heroes are okay with that. It's Vegas, baby [for them].

I realize that you have only played a few quests with this rule, and maybe you are putting a lot of faith into these plot cards. I don't think you'll find what you seek but maybe you'll have tons of fun doing it your way.

• BentoSan likes this

#42 griton

griton

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:46 AM

The OL gets 1 threat token at the start of every hero turn, ignoring the start of the game turn. We've capped threat gained this way up to 10. He still gains threat through other normal means.

Do you mean at the start of every round (one round = 2–4 hero turns + 1 overlord turn)? Otherwise in a 4-hero game, The OL threat gets maxed out pretty quickly.

#43 BentoSan

BentoSan

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:59 AM

That house rule seems insane. Personally i think a house rule to fix the issues stated should do as little to disturb the game as possible. That rule just creates all sorts of other head aches. If it works for your group and you all enjoy it, by all means go for it. I personally would never play with any variation of that however.

I think the best fix will come from something that does not require any expansions to fix (other than the expansions that put the rumors in the game in the first place).

#44 Zaltyre

Zaltyre

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

That house rule seems insane. Personally i think a house rule to fix the issues stated should do as little to disturb the game as possible. That rule just creates all sorts of other head aches. If it works for your group and you all enjoy it, by all means go for it. I personally would never play with any variation of that however.

I think the best fix will come from something that does not require any expansions to fix (other than the expansions that put the rumors in the game in the first place).

I'm not of the opinion that the Rumors really need tweaking, but if you're looking for something simple to throw a small advantage back to the OL, how about "regardless of who wins a Rumor quest, the next quest is chosen by the OL." This does a few things:

-Reduces risk for an OL to choose to play a Rumor quest, as even if he loses, he won't lose control of the campaign direction.

-Increases cost for heroes to choose a Rumor quest, as they lose control of campaign direction.

Thematically, I think it also makes sense- the Rumors are supposed to be "side-quests." This change confines them to that status by not letting the outcome determine the overall direction of the campaign (beyond the effects of rewards.) If the heroes are deciding to temporarily abandon the mission at hand to go hunt treasure, it makes sense that the OL's plans will move ahead without them- this is in line with the mechanic in Shadow Rune that an unplayed quest is treated as if the heroes just didn't have time for it, and the OL succeeded because they didn't interfere.

I think that meets your criteria, and adds a sufficient tilt to the scenario. (Even if the heroes wait until just before the Interlude/Finale to play a Rumor, if they would be forced to pick one if there were multiple cards in play, since the OL could then progress the campaign immediately.)

Edited by Zaltyre, 28 May 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#45 BentoSan

BentoSan

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

Thats not a bad idea at all, its subtle which makes it a good starting point to work from and its believable in terms of theme. The idea that the heroes have been distracted by the side quest has certainly been something that has played though my mind.

There are issues to address however, like if the quest is played before an interlude then does that mean the OL picks the interlude quest even though the heroes won the majority of the act 1 quests ? Or does that just give the overlord the choice to pick the first act 2 quest ?

The same goes the quest being played before the finale.

i am waiting to get my copy of the heroes and monster expansion (any day now) to check out the latest rumour reward. From what i have read on here the rumour in favor (not sure about the actual win/loss chance however) of the overlord which makes creating a fix for the previous rumours just that little bit more difficult.

Edited by BentoSan, 28 May 2014 - 12:19 PM.

#46 Zaltyre

Zaltyre

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

The bonus of choice would be mitigated if the rumor was played immediately before an interlude/finale.

However, in the cases where there are rumors from multiple expansions in play, it would prevent the heroes from playing multiple rumors in a row and stacking the gold/rewards from them, as after the first, the OL would have the opportunity to move onto the interlude (or finale.) 

Edited by Zaltyre, 28 May 2014 - 12:52 PM.

#47 BentoSan

BentoSan

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

I think this could be exploited by the overlord.

If the overlord plays a series of plot cards just before the start of the third quest in act 1, the heroes would only have the opportunity to play a single rumor despite the trade off that the banes they had from the plot cards made more quests available to them.

I am not sure if that exploit is necessarily a bad thing or not, but its some food for thought.

Edited by BentoSan, 28 May 2014 - 01:57 PM.

#48 Zaltyre

Zaltyre

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

If the overlord plays a series of plot cards just before the start of the third quest in act 1, the heroes would only have the opportunity to play a single rumor despite the trade off that the banes they had from the plot cards made more quests available to them.

I am not sure if that exploit is necessarily a bad thing or not, but its some food for thought.

Good point, except why would the OL play quest cards that he doesn't intend to play? If his goal is to limit the heroes to a single Rumor option (and assuming we're in a situation where he hasn't been forced to play any Rumors yet and it's right before the Interlude) why not just play the card he'd prefer the heroes to pick? No sense in giving them choices if he can avoid it.

#49 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

Rules Geek

• Members
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

Good point, except why would the OL play quest cards that he doesn't intend to play? 

If using Plot Decks, the OL gets a threat every time he plays a Rumor Quest card, so that could be a reason to play more than one.

#50 Zaltyre

Zaltyre

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:47 PM

I don't use plot decks, but additionally I was trying to provide a solution that fit BentoSan's criteron of not requiring additional expansions. When other expansions are considered, a threat token does seem to be a nice small incentive for the OL.

Edited by Zaltyre, 28 May 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#51 BentoSan

BentoSan

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:02 PM

Good point, except why would the OL play quest cards that he doesn't intend to play? 

Because he is forced to from the effects of another plot card.

So he gets the OL tokens for the 2 or 3 quests, but the heroes do not get the opportunity to play the quest.

Edited by BentoSan, 28 May 2014 - 10:05 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS