Photo

Player's , GM and Creature Guide, do i need them?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 khaoldrakul

khaoldrakul

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:35 PM

Hello, i just bought a lot of books, looking at them i noticed that the only ones that i dont have are the Player's , GM and Creature Guide.

all the info they have are in the core rules, there is any reason that i should buy them?  Creature Guide have some nice info, but the others just have core rules info

#2 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

As long as you have the core box set, I don't think you need them.

Most of the books are total fluff and the rules (not the options, but just the rules) could be made into a 10 page pamphlet for the most part.

#3 socratim

socratim

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:48 PM

Player's and GM's Guide have the core rules, rules from the first two expansions (magic and faith) and some revisions. Also they have infos that are only on cards in the mentioned boxes.

As a GM you better find information than in the 7 books and on the cards of the mentioned boxes.

I am not sure what exactly is covered in the creature-guide, but I think it's the infos you normally only get on the cards (also from core, magic and faith, I guess). So handy for GMs.

Edited by socratim, 04 May 2014 - 11:49 PM.

#4 Ralzar

Ralzar

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:33 AM

I would recommend buying the PDF-version of the Players Guide. Apparently the Players guide has some smaller mistakes fixed and some better clarifications, but mostly it is just handy to have a PDF version of the core rules that you can reference without having the physical stuff with you.

If you go for a physical edition of the book, it is handy as a way to let players borrow the rules with them home without breaking up the core box.

#5 r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

In-depth page-by-page break-down of what's actually new or different in these books:

http://transitivegam...ters-guide.html

http://transitivegam...ture-guide.html

http://transitivegam...yers-guide.html

Short version: 

Creature's Guide is totally worth it. Tons of useful new material, much of which isn't anywhere else, not even in the Creature Vault.  (If you don't have the Vault, I recommend it as well.)

Player's Guide is over-priced, but includes a lot of critical revisions that patch many of the game's weaker areas and is worth getting as a PDF at least. I really hated spending nearly 50 bucks on the hard-cover since it's 95% reprint, but I have to admit I use it all the time and it's a much better rulebook than the coreset provides.

GM's Guide is a waste of money. The one piece of errata therein (Frightened Condition got mildly stronger) and the terribly incomplete charts at the back are not worth the price tag, not by a long shot.

#6 GMmL

GMmL

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

As a GM I've found great value in all three hardcovers. Pdf's are nice in-between sessions but for quick reference at the table I always prefer physical products.

#7 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:00 AM

The players guider PFD and/or hardcoveris a must-have so your layers can look stuff up outside of the game (e.g. all the careers, actions and talents, etc.).  Can you imagine playing D&D or Pathfinder without the players having their own book?  This book includes the Rat Catcher's Tale in printed form that was released for free online evidently just to pad the pages.

image_thumb.png

The creature guide hardcover is the best we've got for a quick reference guide for all the monsters and their special actions. Although the layout of the book is retarded, and you'll need to download/print an action summary (gitzman's) to the back of the book, it is much more convenient for browsing (and has adventure hooks for every monster) than the cards.

The GMs guide hardcover and/or pdf is a blasted waste of space if you already own winds of magic, signs of faith and the core set.  It is for completionists only.  This book reprints the entire adventure from the Core box GM's book just to pad the pages.

It should be noted that for each of your guides, you will want to scan and insert the cards from your later purchased products (such as Omens, Lure, BFP, Witch's song and Hero's call) into the backs of your hardcoers for complete reference.  I put the monster stat lines from those books into my creature guide as well.  It is a smart idea to scan your cards from later products anyways because heaven forbid you lose one...  This game really needs a Player's guide 2 and a Creature Guide 2 if anyone wants a job ;)

On a historical note (info and opinions you don't want to know):  Although I love these hardcovers (and use the PDF's constantly for reference), I believe were a Fool's Errand attempt at placating all of the implacable, childish groaning and edition sabotage put forth by the 2e fans who felt slighted that "their edition" was replaced by a 3rd edition (in 22 years).  There is some really great stuff in there and they are a great summary, but I believe had this edition been less of a giant playtest for Star Wars, and more of an effort by fan-writers, we'd also have a Player's Guide 2 and a Creature Guide 2.

If it's any consolation, our group is firing up a One Ring min-campaign and quickly realized that the books for that are terribly organized as well.  I theorize (off on a tangent much?), I theorize that poorly organized games get a lot more fluff and redundancy and seem "plenty complex" whereas better organized and established games require a lot more crunch-complexity (e.g. Pathfinder or D&D) to demonstrate how complex (Rube Goldberg) they are.  WFRP3 looks pretty simple though when you look at the 3 hardcovers.

Anyways, you'd get a LOT of use out of the Player's Guide and the Creature guide. 

:)

Edited by Emirikol, 08 June 2014 - 12:40 PM.

• GMmL likes this

#8 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

Speaking of The One Ring, I've learned a few things about my gaming preferences anymore:

* A good character sheet counts for EVERYTHING.

* I hate not having the rules at my fingertips; even PATHFINDER added Condition Decks and whatnot.

* travel adventures are the epitome of railroad; the entire The One Ring game system is developed around that.  I'd like to see how it handles a city investigation

* Artwork invokes a lot..need lots of artwork

* Years of background material helps a lot

* Non-binary dice rule!  Long dead is my interest in pathfinder or D&D's lame binary pass/fail systems.  To play them, I'm going to have to add variables beyond "how much damage" I did.

* I like overlying ancient civilizations (Conan-style).  I like that you can always dig deeper in locations of interest.  

* Novels add serious amounts of useful background.

* Roles in the party may have a place (scout, leader, provisioner, etc.) in WFRP.

Any thoughts from you guys about what you like in other, non-WFRP/non-StarWars game systems you play?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS