Photo

Encounter question (from Curse of the Dark Pharaoh)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:37 PM

So I drew this encounter the other day, and it raised a question in my mind. I'm wondering if the question has been raised before, or if the card was maybe altered in the revised edition of CotDP (since I'm still using the original printing.)

The encounter is from the Administration Building, and it reads as follows:

You meet a research assistant who is quite taken with you. Roll 1d6. You gain that many free movement points, to be used immediately on any Tome or other item that requires an expenditure of movement points to use.

The question is this: Assuming I have such an item and I roll enough MPs to make ends meet, but I don't want to use that item right now, am I required to do so?

We typically play that when an encounter gives you a choice, you can choose one way or the other, but if it doesn't give you a choice, you must do what it says.  I'm not sure if that's an official rule or a house rule, to be honest, but I know it's a common way of playing for many people, from I what recall of past forum discussions.

Obviously I must roll the die, that much is clear.  If I don't roll enough MPs to activate my item then the question is moot.  However, if I do roll enough MPs, must I activate my item even if I don't want to?

I played that I must (because we also play with Arkham's Razor in full effect) and it made no difference in the end, but I'm curious to hear your opinions.  Also, was this encounter removed/edited in the revised version of this expansion?

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:57 AM

Steve-O,

I would suggest that you must use the points immediately as each encounter should be resolved in its entirety.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:44 AM

In my opinion you don't have to use the movement points. Just like all other movement points you can choose whether to use them or not. The only difference in this case is that they must be used immediately or not at all. The wording of the encounter, though not perfect, appears to do nothing more than prevent you from saving the movement points till later.

As Elvis would say: It's now or never. :D   

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:32 AM

It's tricky. Normally you have to resolve everything unless, as Joe stated, there is a "may" or a "if" clause scattered somewhere in the card. This card here uses a bizarre wording: "to be used", which is an implicit statement that seems to suggest you have to.

BUT.

(know, my brother once told me that nothing someone says before the word "but" really counts - Benjen Stark)

Considering that the wording on the Curse of the Dark Pharaoh cards is not top notch; considering the implicit form could be contested in any Arkham court; and considering that thematically it's difficult to force someone using a book (unless you're in company of a madman or such), I'm more inclined to follow Lee's suggestion: you gain the points, but then, whether spending them or not, it's up to you

• Lee418 likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#5 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:31 AM

Well, it's nice to know the Arkham community is as divided on this as we were. =P

I can certainly see Lee's logic, as well. Really, the only thing preventing me from happily accepting that logic is the desire to keep this game as difficult as possible by favouring the game whenever we can't be sure of something.

I suppose it will be rare that this particular encounter will be the deciding factor, though. It certainly wasn't in the end for our game the other night. So I guess in future we'll play that spending the points now is mandatory (use 'em or lose 'em), but the option of using or not using your items is still something you can decide.

• Julia and Lee418 like this

#6 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:03 PM

I would tentatively say you don't have to use them if you don't want to.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS