A must read for fans of Star Wars and the card game alike

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 PGCaedus87

PGCaedus87

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:21 PM

I hear so many people complaining about some of the sets being unfair or some factions being stronger than others but I've had great success with every faction and with different objectives. The beauty of this game is really how customizable it is. I am always changing my decks and rarely stick with one group of sets for a faction. This game is more fun if you stop competing for best and most unbeatable deck, and start creating decks to make a story or a unique adventure to play against your friends decks. I've never done anything for sport and I would never compete with this game because I love it too much to get seriously involved and frustrated with combos that don't work or lose to a particular deck type. For me it's about the experience and the story. I lose just as much as I win but I love it just the same because of the battles and events that happen within each game. Han and dash infiltrate coruscant and fight their way through night sisters and storm troopers before going toe to toe with Vader and the emperor. Then are liberated by Luke and obiwan and as they escape, are out gunned by the star destroyers waiting in orbit for them.
It's all about the Star Wars experience your way. Just sit back one day with some friends and play a few games and enjoy the stories that happen. It's way more fun that way. Trust me. May the force be with all you loyal and new fans
  • spalanzani, Goknights12, Ineti and 1 other like this

#2 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:47 PM

I think this is a really great point.  I'm a fairly inexperienced player, and don't really want to be a big tournament player.  I just want to have some fun in the SW universe with a card game, and this game delivers.  I just want to be a Jedi, or a Hutt, or whatnot.

• GroggyGolem and Raahk like this

#3 PGCaedus87

PGCaedus87

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:27 AM

Thank you. I love playing as the sith or scum. But like playing as all three factions for each side. It's a very fun and interesting game with unlimited interactions between each side of the force. I liked the idea of the challange decks but they need to focus more on expanding each faction and bringing in even more characters and ships. I'd love to see a Death Star II based objective for the navy and also some objectives that add tie interceptors to navy line up.

#4 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:50 AM

Gracious, no need to thank me, but I do appreciate it.  ;)

I'm also glad that most of the people I've seen around the community are friendly and willing to help out a newbie like me.

#5 mischraum.de

mischraum.de

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:50 PM

Different people play the game for different reasons. FFG is aware of the fact that they have different target groups and try to keep all of them happy. But yes it can happen that for some time one of the groups is not happy with the state of the game.
Travelling for LCG tournaments: Amsterdam, Gen Con, Genoa, Göteborg, Liege, Salzburg
Next destination: Copenhagen

#6 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

Seems more to me one group is never happy. I agree with the OP completely.
  • Ineti and See Threebilbo like this

#7 PGCaedus87

PGCaedus87

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:28 PM

I don't do competitive gaming. I play games to unwind and relax and have a good time. Real sports are for competition. This Star Wars card game has been made brilliantly to tell so many unique stories and in an exciting way that never gets dull. I urge the competitive players to take a break from the hardcore drive to build winning decks and just play with some friends and enjoy the stories that unfold within this epic game based in the best universe ever. I'm glad so many other players see my point a view and can enjoy this game for just the fact that it's one of the greatest Star Wars games out there where you get to play your way with the characters and ships you want.

#8 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

I think tournaments can be fun, but I also think it's fun just to take some sets you want to play with. I've had quite a bit of success with random decks on casual LCG nights.

That being said, if FFG really wanted to cater to the Star Wars fans interested in a casual, story-based, card game, they should have stuck with their original designs. My wife HATES this game but she liked Lord of the Rings before I sold it. Now whenever I open up my SW:LCG box at home, I always wish they would have at least released the core set for the old co-op version. I seriously think FFG could do wonders with a more casually-themed cooperative Star Wars card game. Sure, you can play the current LCG casually, but it is clearly geared toward competitive gamers from my point of view.

[And now you can add me to the list of groups of people who are never satisfied.  :D ]

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#9 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:14 PM

I think tournaments can be fun, but I also think it's fun just to take some sets you want to play with. I've had quite a bit of success with random decks on casual LCG nights.

That being said, if FFG really wanted to cater to the Star Wars fans interested in a casual, story-based, card game, they should have stuck with their original designs. My wife HATES this game but she liked Lord of the Rings before I sold it. Now whenever I open up my SW:LCG box at home, I always wish they would have at least released the core set for the old co-op version. I seriously think FFG could do wonders with a more casually-themed cooperative Star Wars card game. Sure, you can play the current LCG casually, but it is clearly geared toward competitive gamers from my point of view.

[And now you can add me to the list of groups of people who are never satisfied.  :D ]

I know what you mean.  Even reading most of the articles on places like CGDB, I get the feeling that they are geared almost exclusively toward a competitive audience.  Not that I'm opposed per se to competitive games, but my poor vision means that I need time to look at my opponent's side of the board that is not given during a game with a time limit.  No matter how good I am technically as a player, I probably wouldn't do well in tournaments because of this.  Sometimes I feel that casual players who still want to be good players are alienated (though, to be fair, I get more of this vibe from Netrunner). 

#10 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:21 PM

I know what you mean.  Even reading most of the articles on places like CGDB, I get the feeling that they are geared almost exclusively toward a competitive audience.  Not that I'm opposed per se to competitive games, but my poor vision means that I need time to look at my opponent's side of the board that is not given during a game with a time limit.  No matter how good I am technically as a player, I probably wouldn't do well in tournaments because of this.  Sometimes I feel that casual players who still want to be good players are alienated (though, to be fair, I get more of this vibe from Netrunner).

As one of the people who has written the occasional article, what kinds of topics are you interested in seeing covered? I tend towards strategy articles because they're easiest to make relevant, but if there are other kinds of topics you'd find interesting let us as the writers know. Perhaps there are other people who would be interested in the same kind of thing and we can make sure we produce content they like too. Perhaps it's time for me to actually get my Team Covenant blog back up and running...

#11 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

As one of the people who has written the occasional article, what kinds of topics are you interested in seeing covered? I tend towards strategy articles because they're easiest to make relevant, but if there are other kinds of topics you'd find interesting let us as the writers know. Perhaps there are other people who would be interested in the same kind of thing and we can make sure we produce content they like too. Perhaps it's time for me to actually get my Team Covenant blog back up and running...

Thank you for being so understanding.  I was afraid that my post was possibly coming across as whining or something.

I love the article that you did here at FFG!  Ones like that, that cover generalized elements of gameplay and tactics: those are the kinds of things I'm looking for, personally.  What I meant to say was that so much of the stuff I read (this mostly just refers to posts on forums as opposed to articles, really) is much more geared towards metagaming and how to operate within that framework.  That's all well and good.  What I am looking for, personally, is something perhaps a little more nuts-and-bolts.

Hope that makes sense.  It feels like I'm waffling a lot, lawl.  I really don't want to give the impression that I hate tournament gameplay, or anything.  I'd like to get to that level, eventually; I just don't see it happening realistically any time soon.  x3

#12 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:49 AM

You didn't come off as whining or waffling, don't worry. It just looked to me like you were in a different target audience than a lot of articles tend to be aimed at. When most of the articles are written by high level players it's natural that they tend to be targeted towards competitive tournament play. I'm just looking to make sure that we're not completely ignoring a chunk of our audience. :-)

#13 KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

You didn't come off as whining or waffling, don't worry. It just looked to me like you were in a different target audience than a lot of articles tend to be aimed at. When most of the articles are written by high level players it's natural that they tend to be targeted towards competitive tournament play. I'm just looking to make sure that we're not completely ignoring a chunk of our audience. :-)

A nice article would be on the basics of deckbuilding. It's something I've gone over with quite a few friends. How to determine if you have enough... resources, fate cards, blast damage potential, edge icons, etc. This can be important for a casual player and a competitive player.

Edited by KennedyHawk, 06 May 2014 - 07:37 AM.

#14 Goknights12

Goknights12

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:11 AM

I just played in my first big tournament, and afterward made the vow that I would only play in store tournaments. I got so frustrated that I saw the same three objectives flipped on me from their smuggler decks that I wondered why I was even playing if it was just going to be the same game every time. I enjoy this game, and I love playing all different types of decks and characters etc. This is the same with X-Wing. I enjoy buying the ships and taking a fleet of Y-WIngs in against the opponent, but I hate it when every time I fly I see Biggs walks the dogs over and over and over again. As a Star Wars Fan, and someone who buys all of these cards and ships, I want to use them ALL, what good is it to spend all of this money just to store 80% of the product because you don't win by turn 3.

I hope more people can play this way and it will become a much more fun game. Thanks for posting OP.

#15 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

There are some really interesting posts here. It's fun to see some of the more casual players speak up.

dbmeboy, it'd be cool if you posted some articles on Team Covenant. I look for SW:TCG articles there all the time but nobody really seems to post much, and I'm so far behind on the cards that I really don't have much to say either, or I'd post something myself.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#16 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

Yeah, work got busy and I got behind on posting stuff to TC and haven't in a long time... I'm trying to avoid spreading myself too thin between blogging and podcasting and participating on the forums and playing in tournaments and such, and doing a pretty poor job of it.  I do plan on producing more stuff as I can, especially if people are enjoying it.  :-)

#17 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

No pressure. Balance is important, and I think it's really important not to spread yourself too thin.

I'm trying to build up my collection so I can post some stuff as well, but I'm still exploring the Escape from Hoth and Edge of Darkness objectives and that's all old news to everyone!  :lol:

--Count Dooku

#18 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

Balance is great.  I'm pretty type-A, and I have to make myself take a break sometimes.  I've got a good translation of War and Peace lined up for the summer, fortunately.  It keeps all of the French: good practice.

#19 PGCaedus87

PGCaedus87

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

You can play play Star Wars LCG co-op. The balance force came with instructions on how to play 2v2 with your normal decks and it's really fun. I play this style with my game circle quite a bit so everyone can get involved. Try it out. They also have the rule supplement to download on this site as far as I know. They may have taken it down due to them reverting it back to an exclusively 1v1 card game

#20 Ineti

Ineti

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

Just want to be a voice that states that I play the game mostly casually. I might get into a tournament or two, but I mostly play it because it's a fun Star Wars game with a ton of depth and challenge. I enjoy it way more because it's a LCG and not a collectible--I don't have to sink any more money into it than the champions to be competitive--I just need to practice, study, and play a lot. The playing field is level. It's up to each player to do with it what they will.

• Budgernaut likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS