Beric dondarrion

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 IXIMrPinkIXI

IXIMrPinkIXI

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

Was playing a deck that used doran's favour on beric. "Discard attached character from play cannot be saved..." Can u use doran's favor on beric if u can't discard him from play?

#2 doulos2k

doulos2k

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

Yes. Nothing prevents that. The character would not be discarded and the attachment would remain attached.

Austin AGoT Players

http://agotaustin.com

#3 Prepare for War

Prepare for War

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:15 AM

Heh, glad someone else has spotted this. Have been using this combo to great success in my local playgroup and taking it to tourney in three days time.

0 cost for 4 influence with no drawback? Why, that's perfect for Westeros Bleeds! And who is left standing? Why, it's Beric!

Sadly this deck still has all the weaknesses that Beric decks have always had: Ghaston Grey, Milk of the Poppy and so on. However, right now I feel the meta is in the right place for this deck, so I'm going to give it a damn good go.

For the same deck (Brotherhood Martell), you also might want to consider Flea Bottom Scavenger, To The Spears, The Prince that Was Promised, A Taste for Blood, Red Vengeance.

Edited by Prepare for War, 07 May 2014 - 11:18 AM.

#4 Slothgodfather

Slothgodfather

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

Yea, sadly there are just so many point-n-click removals that make Beric a bad choice in my meta atm.  Coldhands is in nearly every deck, Ygritte makes her rounds as well because of the Kingsguards.  Also all the options you listed.    Best of luck in your tourney though!  I hope it works out for you and it takes them by surprise!

#5 IXIMrPinkIXI

IXIMrPinkIXI

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

I thought that unless you can resolve all the effect of a card you can't use it. So if you use doran's favour u have to discard the character or you can't use the effect? I.e. to be a dragon, I can't stand my character unless there is a 3 cost character in my dead pile. I am just trying to understand the reasoning in this situation.

Edited by IXIMrPinkIXI, 08 May 2014 - 12:33 PM.

#6 Slothgodfather

Slothgodfather

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:35 PM

The FAQ entry you mention only effects "triggered effects".  For the purposes of Doran's Favor, that effect will be whatever you played that cost you the influence.  

Timing wise you kneel the attachment (4 influence) to pay for Westeros Bleeds, for example. 

Step 1 - kneel attachment and play event

Step 2 - save/cancels allowed

Step 3 - resolve effect, assuming it wasn't cancelled.  Any characters not saved and eligible to be effect (Beric is not) become moribund:discard

Step 4 - Passives such as "discard attached character" from Doran's Favor.  Beric cannot be discarded, so he ignores it.

Step 5 - Responses

Step 6 - Moribund cards leave play.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS