- heroes can sell starting items and sell/buy any Act I items (kind of different interlude 'sale, sale, sale' not-really-shopping-phase apart from campaign phase).
- campaign phase kicks in and you can have another shopping phase (if you like) but as Act II items are off limits you would deal act I items...
So in this case, the collection of gold / rewards from the interlude happens after the "Select from all the items" and before a normal shopping phase that occurs where you only show a few items. The problem is that according to RAW, as soon as they purchase from "any remaining Act I cards", the rest are returned to the game box, making that normal shopping phase have nothing to select from.
After the Interlude of the Act 1, the Heroes may view all Act 1 Shop cards and purchase any of them which they desire. They may not, peak at the Act 2 Shop cards during any shopping phase of the campaign until after the first Act 2 quest is completed, and the shopping phase has begun following that.
By all means, no one is to dictate how you or your party plays the game, feel free to bend or forge the rules to your parties' preference.
The point is that everyone kind of assumes that this replaces the normal shopping phase in the Campaign phase, which makes a certain amount of sense because of its elegance, but that's not how the Rules actually read. If the rules section on p. 22 under "Act II" happens immediately after completing the quest, before the campaign phase kicks in, and Act II cards aren't available until after an Act II quest, then the Shopping step of that campaign phase is pointless.
Note that under "The Campaign Phase", at the very top of p. 20 of the rules, it says
After each quest of a campaign, there is a Campaign phase... It is important to note that ... the Campaign phase does not take place until the entire quest is finished. During the Campaign phase, ... the heroes may visit the shop in Arhynn to purchase new equipment."
And under Act II on p. 22 it says
Immediately after completing the Interlude, follow these steps:
- [Return Act I Monster/Lieutenant cards, replace with Act II cards]
- ... Deal out all remaining Act I Shop Item cards faceup. The hero players may purchase any number of Act I Shop Item cards they are able to afford.
- [Return unpurchased Act I Shop cards, replace with Act II cards]
So according to RAW (not necessarily according to what everyone thinks makes sense), and until at least a semi-official clarification / errata:
You don't get XP, Gold, or ANY rewards until Steps 1 and 3 of the Campaign Phase. Since the Post-Interlude stuff is self contained and says "Immediately after the quest" and the Campaign phase is also self contained and "after the quest", it implies one of two things:
- Post-Interlude is before Campaign Phase. Hero players don't get to use Interlude rewards when purchasing from all remaining Act I shop cards because they haven't reached the step of the Campaign phase where they get rewards, then Step 5 (Shopping) of the Campaign phase is pointless because all Act I cards have been returned to the box.
- Post-Interlude is after the Campaign Phase. Hero players get rewards from Interlude, perform a normal shopping phase (which is absolutely pointless because they are going to have the opportunity to buy from all the cards instead of a limited number of them, the first Act II quest is set up (heroes and monsters are already on the board), Travel happens (which might affect Hero gold). THEN the Act I Monster and Lieutenant cards are replaced (which technically happens after the monster cards have already been placed near the board during quest setup, etc.), THEN the heroes get to purchase from any remaining Act I cards, etc.
To many people, #2 really doesn't seem to make much sense, and #1 only makes a little more sense. Which is why everyone seems to think that what should really be happening is something that isn't actually in the Rules As Written, which is why we are trying to get an official response from FFG as to their intent.
Personally, I feel that the Post-Interlude stuff should say "Replace the Shopping step of the Campaign phase that follows the Interlude with these steps:" instead of "Immediately after completing the Interlude, follow these steps:", but if I was to follow RAW, that's not what is happening.
Edited by griton, 12 May 2014 - 10:15 AM.