Forsaken Lore is here!

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 icarr757

icarr757

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:51 PM

Was in my friendly (not so) local gaming store, and they had 1 copy on the shelf, SNAG!

Tons of new cards!  Only 8 new encounter cards for each color (purple, green, orange) and only 4 new generic encounter cards.  6 new expidition cards (love them, never have time to go after them!).  2 new mysteries for existing old ones, 6 for Yig, 24Yig clues so 16more clues for existing old ones.  Yig has 8 special encounter cards, C'thulu gets 2 new special encounters, Yog gets 10! new special encounter cards!  Go Yog...

Do not know why, but the cards feel slightly different.  Dunno, maybe its just the voices...  Lots of new artifacts, many let you spend sanity to buy off conditions in game, or other effects.  More conditions with new flip effects, got to love them and a few new spells (healing!), as well as old spells.

Awesome value for the price, imho.  Now if my store would only !#$%^ restock #4 card sleeves!

• SolennelBern likes this

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:50 AM

Tons of new cards!  Only 8 new encounter cards for each color (purple, green, orange) and only 4 new generic encounter cards.

Yeah, The count for these encounters is still somehow low, but point is that probably every further expansion will expand those a bit more, while we won't have easily other expansions increasing further Research decks or Special Encounter decks specific to the AOs. So, good for now :)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 C2K

C2K

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:33 AM

I'm happy with increasing the card pool in small increments.  Especially the mythos deck cards. 

#4 zeromage

zeromage

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:20 AM

8 Artifacts and only 6 Mythos cards.  Fantasy Flight's priorities are WAY off here.  We barely ever get artifacts, but we've stopped playing the game because we've seen all of the same encounters and mythos cards so many times.  We were desperately hoping for more mythos cards than 6.  This is a very big disappointment.

#5 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:29 AM

IMO it's the best approach.  Throwing tons of new card for each deck wouldn't do any good to this game.  I think FL is a great first addition that'll refresh the game bit more before the next big expansion.

#6 icarr757

icarr757

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:29 AM

Heck, I am still open to some small board additions to the game.  The board, as is, is beautiful and works well, but feels like it could support more locations of interest easily.  Mechanicaly it would probably be a game breaker, though.

#7 Fenyx

Fenyx

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:57 AM

8 Artifacts and only 6 Mythos cards.  Fantasy Flight's priorities are WAY off here.  We barely ever get artifacts, but we've stopped playing the game because we've seen all of the same encounters and mythos cards so many times.  We were desperately hoping for more mythos cards than 6.  This is a very big disappointment.

I've only played the expansion once so take this with a grain but it does appear to increase the number of artifacts drawn. Perhaps that is why they needed to add more.

#8 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:26 AM

I could see remote locations depicted with large tokens the shape of the current locations on the board that we could have access by boat or maybe planes (with new plane ticket tokens) via cities.  It wouldn't add new rules, just new means of transport and new locations.

• Fenyx likes this

#9 zeromage

zeromage

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

I've only played the expansion once so take this with a grain but it does appear to increase the number of artifacts drawn. Perhaps that is why they needed to add more.

I guess that makes sense then, I haven't played it yet, planning on playing saturday.  

#10 Glorious Strategist

Glorious Strategist

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

Do not know why, but the cards feel slightly different.  Dunno, maybe its just the voices...  Lots of new artifacts, many let you spend sanity to buy off conditions in game, or other effects.  More conditions with new flip effects, got to love them and a few new spells (healing!), as well as old spells.

Can you elaborate on this? We actually have a thread going in the Descent forum about the Shadow of Nerekhall expansion having flimsier feeling cards than the previous base game / expansions. I really hope this isn't the case with this game as well as it would indicate a possible trend going forward with FFG card quality.

#11 zeromage

zeromage

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:28 PM

The cards seem fine to me

#12 meggypeggs

meggypeggs

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

Anyone know when this will be released in the UK?

#13 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:47 AM

I'm not happy with one or two of the cards, but there isn't much to be done.

#14 zeromage

zeromage

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:32 PM

The expansion is awesome, but there's a few things I think the next expansion needs to address:

#1 most needed thing by far in my opinion is mythos cards. Adding only 6 was a joke. They seriously need to add at the very least 20 more in the next expansion, but I'd prefer they double the total amount. 

#2 More encounter cards of each colour. This goes without saying.

#3 More monsters. It gets old fighting a skeleton for the 300th time (yeah, I play this game a lot). Maybe some regular monsters that poison you. maybe some that add other conditions to you. like lost in time and space, bakc injury, etc. 

#4 More reasons to go to the expedition space. I've only played through FL once, so I haven't seen everything, but they did a nice job making go to the expedition space, but nothing to make you do an expedition encounter. (again, I just might not have seen it yet though).

#5 More mysteries for each existing AO. Again, I'd like to see the current number doubled. 

#6 More AO

#7 More investigators

#8 More R'yleh risen cards (they added some, but we've cycled through that deck 2 or 3 times in one game before. maybe we just suck)

#9 more reasons to be on sea and wilderness spaces. this is still lacking. I was very disappointed with the new mystery that makes you go to london. As if you don't have enough reason to be there. Every game we have someone who stays there practically the entire game to try to get clues. we need more reasons to travel. especially to antartica. Hell HPL was obsessed with that continent. let's have mysteries and rumours centered there, as i barely ever go there no matter what. we've seen a miniscule FRACTION of the sea and wilderness encounters in the black deck. there's gotta be a way to make you do them. Maybe a couple of mysteries that are on ocean spaces, but you need to play an encounter from the black deck before you can encounter the mystery...

Pretty much more of everything (more spells, more equipment, more artifacts, etc). I'd like some named allies too. I really like the observation test before fighting a monster idea, and i think they need more variety like this. Also some variety besides "test x, if you succede..." Not a dealbreaker, but it would be nice.

All in all I did like this expansion a lot, but I just need MORE! I guess that's the mark of a great game.

Edited by zeromage, 03 May 2014 - 02:32 PM.

#15 C2K

C2K

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

Considering how fast this expansion hit the shelves, I think FF did a great job with Forsaken Lore.  I expect new expansions, assuming they are developed with more time, will have more to offer, but I am satisfied by the content and price point of this particular expansion. 

#16 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

#4 More reasons to go to the expedition space. I've only played through FL once, so I haven't seen everything, but they did a nice job making go to the expedition space, but nothing to make you do an expedition encounter. (again, I just might not have seen it yet though).

In some ways they made it worse. Two of the new expedition cards provide 2 Clues and two spells, respectively, on a successful encounter. Two spells is not worth going half way across the globe and getting trapped there, potentially having to fight and extremely nasty monster for the privilege. 

#17 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:43 PM

I noticed that FL is following Arkham Horror's motif of "don't put expansion symbols on monsters." How odd.

At least there's only one you really have to remember: Cultist.

#18 Zerodemon

Zerodemon

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:43 AM

I highly recommend everybody buys this box.

Big changes for Yog and Cthulhu (don't want to spoil it, but Yog gets a second special deck, akin to, but unlike Key and Gate) much more variety all around (except for Mythos cards, which you only get 6 of, but this is forgiveable due to the overall quality of the pack) and Yig is a perfect addition to the game as a lesser, but still considerable threat with a unique and interesting flavor. He is pretty easy for 2-4 investigators, but perfect for a solo game or 5+ (where the scaling really starts to kick your teeth in.)

Good all around job FFG. Bring us more of the same. Hastur or Nyarlathotep (or both) next please.

#19 C2K

C2K

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:51 AM

I think it depends which 3 mysteries come up for Yig.  If he awakens, he becomes a serious issue. 

I also think Cthulhu now has the hardest mystery in the game to solve.    Its like walking into a wall of spikes. 

#20 Zerodemon

Zerodemon

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

I still have only encountered 5 of the 6 Yig mysteries in our 4 games. I don't want to spoil the last one for myself. They aren't too serious in terms of difficulty thusfar.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS