Big Bang Theories "Star Wars Day" Episode

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 AgentShadow

AgentShadow

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:19 AM

Well I was a jock and a nerd in high school. I don't think the two are as mutually exclusive as people think. I took Latin, was in the robotics program and played hockey, ran cross country and rowed crew. I had more friends in the computer lab than I did on the hockey team I played on. I think we do children a disfavor when we try to force them into a one size fits all label. Yes it is fun to wear our nerd badges proudly, but in all honest we are all more complex than a single stereotype. 

I know. Was just curious as to whether there was, in fact, a way to measure nerdism. I'm always referring to myself as a hobbyist or gamer, because I see myself as an ordinary everyday bloke who likes games in his spare time.

I know someone who likes to label people, but doesn't realize that no two people are alike. It can be frustrating when she labels someone and then gets upset with them for not acting the way she thinks they should.

Some people are funny.

Edited by AgentShadow, 07 May 2014 - 10:20 AM.

3720 to 1...

...odds of me winning a game of X-Wing  :P

Please vote for a Dislikehttp://community.fan...have-a-dislike/

#42 LokisCoyote

LokisCoyote

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:43 AM

Well I was a jock and a nerd in high school. I don't think the two are as mutually exclusive as people think. I took Latin, was in the robotics program and played hockey, ran cross country and rowed crew. I had more friends in the computer lab than I did on the hockey team I played on. I think we do children a disfavor when we try to force them into a one size fits all label. Yes it is fun to wear our nerd badges proudly, but in all honest we are all more complex than a single stereotype. 

I know. Was just curious as to whether there was, in fact, a way to measure nerdism. I'm always referring to myself as a hobbyist or gamer, because I see myself as an ordinary everyday bloke who likes games in his spare time.

I know someone who likes to label people, but doesn't realize that no two people are alike. It can be frustrating when she labels someone and then gets upset with them for not acting the way she thinks they should.

Some people are funny.

Obviously I tend to be against the measuring stick approach. It's the same thing that get used to ostracize women who show some interest in "nerdom" by telling them they are not nerdy enough. But regardless, that is how some people are, so I guess we can't change things.   

• AgentShadow likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS