Photo

Why are there no "Leader" characters for DS?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:41 AM

Just what it says on the tin. Anybody else curious why people like Tarkin, Vader, even the Emperor all lack the "Leader" keyword, as seen on Leia, Mon Mothma, etc. At first thought this keyword might specifically refer to founding members of the Alliance, but then I saw that Ackbar has it as well.

Could this point to a political bias against the Empire among the game's design team?

Edited by MarthWMaster, 30 April 2014 - 08:42 AM.

#2 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:58 AM

"I was born to lead, not read"

In all seriousness, while there may be charismatic characters with actual leadership abilities in the Empire, most of those in power manipulate/threaten/coerce/use force instead.

As for the Leader trait, whether it is an oversight or deliberate on the designers' part I do not know.

• zombieearl and Gunner070 like this

#3 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:05 AM

Very interesting observation. I'm curious to see where those traits will go with Rebels in the future.

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, I believe the DS has Officers and the LS doesn't. Even the Fleet Officer does not have the Officer trait.

Edited by Budgernaut, 30 April 2014 - 10:14 AM.

• MarthWMaster and Joker Two like this

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#4 The Gas

The Gas

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

That was my thinking.  LS gets "leaders", DS gets "officers". I guess because the Rebels are less formal.

#5 Gunner070

Gunner070

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

"I was born to lead, not read"

In all seriousness, while there may be charismatic characters with actual leadership abilities in the Empire, most of those in power manipulate/threaten/coerce/use force instead.

As for the Leader trait, whether it is an oversight or deliberate on the designers' part I do not know.

Solid point. If they were to release Pelleon (or maybe even Thrawn), you could argue that they should be "Leaders". 

#6 GongShowHost

GongShowHost

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

It's probably to make cards that affect one or the other less confusing by only giving them to one side.
  • Budgernaut likes this

#7 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

I think it's a mixture.  I think of a 'leader' as a concept with a bit more nuance than 'someone in a leading position,' which, to be fair, is the technical definition.  I'd say that a leader has the willing support of those he/she leads, and has earned said support, rather than coercing it from others.

Then again, I'm a lit grad student, and I might be reading into this too deeply. :P

The gameplay effects mentioned above are likely, too!

#8 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:51 PM

I think it's a mixture.  I think of a 'leader' as a concept with a bit more nuance than 'someone in a leading position,' which, to be fair, is the technical definition.  I'd say that a leader has the willing support of those he/she leads, and has earned said support, rather than coercing it from others.

Then again, I'm a lit grad student, and I might be reading into this too deeply. :P

The gameplay effects mentioned above are likely, too!

Conversely, what would you choose to name the Dark Side "Leaders"? Not being sarcastic, just curious.

Would you say they are... Tyrants? 

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

#9 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:37 PM

Honestly, I'm not sure.  Good question.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS