Are Sleuths still the best?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Goknights12

Goknights12

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:11 AM

With regionals on its way, are Sleuths still the best option?

I have toyed around with a rebel deck that uses Jan, Han and Leia's ability to continually add damage and have open attack while at the same time being able to take the force and string out the game.

I am starting to think that a straight smugglers deck may be strong, but meta is fast becoming a thing of the past.

#2 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

They can still ruin your day, if you draw poorly as DS. But, DS does have a lot more answers than they used to. LS has more options now also. The new S&S stuff is great, for instance. The card pool has diversified, making a wider range of decks viable. I would say that the days of just showing up and spamming out Sleuths for wins is over. They are great cards, but just not as superior as they were at one point. Others might disagree; it depends on who you spend your time playing against and what decks you use most often. 

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#3 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 819 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

Short answer, yes.

Long answer,

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

And mono Smuggler decks are definitely a thing now.

Edited by Keffisch, 30 April 2014 - 08:55 AM.

#4 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:13 AM

It depends on both when your regional is and also your local meta of course. Our regional is not till July 20 so we will have almost the entire EotF cycle by then.Sleuths are good but there is also some ways to punish them now with events like Force Storm in Jerec's objective set.

#5 Goknights12

Goknights12

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

Force Storm is good, but a rare pull when you only have 2 of 50 cards. I think the main play for DS now is to use 2 cost units to prevent Sleuths though, so even if you play them, a lot of people are countering, or trying to counter them now.

#6 commonenemy

commonenemy

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

It depends on both when your regional is and also your local meta of course. Our regional is not till July 20 so we will have almost the entire EotF cycle by then.Sleuths are good but there is also some ways to punish them now with events like Force Storm in Jerec's objective set.

I dont think force storm is worth the objective, Jarec is underwhelming and the other two resource units are bad.

Same rule applies when we cut force shockwave from sith control, not worth the whole pod for one card.  If someone runs it, you might get had, but I wouldnt worry about it

I think slueths is still a deck just as it was, its just other things are now viable, to be added to light side decks you might run.  Not really taking anything away from it

#7 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

Sleuths are very good, but their is a DS deck that still controls the Force and if they do get the sleuths, it will wipe them out.

Vader's pod x2

Emps pod x2

heart of empire x2

scouring x2

mara jade x2

its a deck we have been playing around here and it works well. Sure if the sleuths get a good pod draw you are toast, but if this DS deck sets up, the can handle them.

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#8 Goknights12

Goknights12

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

Sleuths are very good, but their is a DS deck that still controls the Force and if they do get the sleuths, it will wipe them out.

Vader's pod x2

Emps pod x2

heart of empire x2

scouring x2

mara jade x2

its a deck we have been playing around here and it works well. Sure if the sleuths get a good pod draw you are toast, but if this DS deck sets up, the can handle them.

This set worries me way too much. WAY too many unique characters for my taste, and force choke doesn't work on Sleuths. In two turns the LS could have two Slueths and maybe even a Dash or Freeholders out for cheap and beat you in 2 turns, or one if you pull two Heart of the Empire.

Edited by Goknights12, 30 April 2014 - 10:14 AM.

#9 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

I think Jerc and his entire objective set is great. 

Now to beat Sleuths during Store championships as that is what I was playing and a few others at the two I went to, I ran Navy. Beat them at their own game and also worked very well for the game when both won as DS as my opponent was playing Sith so I took the tie breaker and the win for the day. Sleuths tend to rely on some key objectives and taking those out certainly helped a lot with slowing them down. Course now a Sleuth deck with False Report in it can make that a shakier possibility until you get the dial to 6. 

#10 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

.....and force choke doesn't work on Sleuths.

Choke your Emp, Jade and let Vaders ability work.

Edited by Rogue 4, 30 April 2014 - 12:21 PM.

Millennium Falcon, Rebel Transport, Tantive IV, A-Wing x2, B-wing, E-Wing, X-wing x4, Y-wing, Z95 Headhunter x2, HWK-290, TIE Fighter x 5, TIE Advanced x1, TIE Bomber, x1, TIE Interceptor x1, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom,  Imperial Aces, Slave I, Lambda Shuttle

#11 Goknights12

Goknights12

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

Vader's ability and force choke only work once per turn. And Sleuths come right through unopposed, plus if you find a way to get all three of them on the board, chances are they aren't playing sleuths, or you've already lost. that is 15 cost that you must get out before they sleuth you to death. Truthfully I am playing devils advocate here, I hate Sleuths and really don't want to use them for regionals, but still don't see any real good LS strategy that is as good as a bunch of unblockables, or black blast.

Edited by Goknights12, 30 April 2014 - 12:33 PM.

#12 Rogue 4

Rogue 4

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

Vader's ability and force choke only work once per turn. And Sleuths come right through unopposed, plus if you find a way to get all three of them on the board, chances are they aren't playing sleuths, or you've already lost. that is 15 cost that you must get out before they sleuth you to death.

The Defense fleet will soak up any damage towards Heart of the Empire.

I wasn't saying use force choke on all those characters, but if any of that combination of characters are out do it. They aren't defending against sleuths use them to your advantage.

I have seen this deck beat sleuths, I am not saying it always will, but it works.

Edited by Rogue 4, 30 April 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#13 Goknights12

Goknights12

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

I'm thinking of using a deck like this. 2x Mara,2x Vaders fist, 2x Findsmen, 2x Slave I and 2x Trandoshan. It has the 2 cost units, the blast damage, cheaper targeted strike and capture effects that can not only take away sleuths from the play field, but possible the deck. And then mid game Slave I takes out an Objective on its own. Thoughts?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS