Tactics we use the most

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Askil

Askil

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:31 AM

Unfortunately our group playslike a group of murder hobos (a hangover of their rich D&D lineage) which although not in the OW spirit fits suprisingly well with our penal legion`s cast of singular individuals.

As such the Orgyn and commissar run into close quarters (the Ogryn`s gun was confiscated for shooting an officer accidentally) the commisar runs in to stay in his habitual place of safety behind the meatsheild of towering Ogryn.

The rest of the group either try to pick off serious threats to our forward party with concentrated fire before the crazed melee Ogryn reaches them or blast randomly at unengaged targets of oppurtunity while team Commigryn mops up in the centre.

#22 Askold

Askold

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:56 AM

...How is "murderhobo" different from soldiers in WH40k?

Do you mean that they ignore orders?

Because "Go to location X kill Y" can be a mission for IG or something the murderhobos do. "Go to location X and scout it before returning" and other more complicated missions (rescue, salvage or bodyguard missions for example) might be a bit different, but since the squad is just following orders to kill enemies in different warzones the typical murderhobo party is not that far from what they SHOULD be doing most of the time.

#23 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:05 AM

...How is "murderhobo" different from soldiers in WH40k?

[...]

Murderhoboing is when you kill things for little reason and take everything they're wearing, sells it somewhere, and generally act like you're a group of criminal vagrants without a home.

Most 40k regiments aren't murderhobos any more than contemporary military detachments in the real world.

Penal Regiments, though... yeah, they're pretty much murderhobos.

Gamergate Primer

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#24 Alrik Vas

Alrik Vas

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:44 AM

Though, it's more of a behavior, than a combat tactic...

• Fgdsfg likes this

#25 Askold

Askold

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

What are they going to loot?

Taking stuff from Xenos or Chaos forces is a fast way to make sure the nearest Commissar will shoot you.

Even renegade Imperial forces not aligned with chaos (such as the Severan Dominate or those humans serving Tau Empire) will deface all their Imperial gear and use their own markings on it so it is probably concidered unclean by techpriests.

The "safest" source of stolen gear are IG regiments. (if you steal from your own, the gear will look like it belongs to you. Gear stolen from other regiments might be from different pattern and thus stand out, but the officers might be willing to overlook it. Depends on the type of regiment.)

#26 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:17 AM

A part of it might depend on how often you get to report back to a real base. If you were in a forward outpost, or some such, and rarely contacted Command, you might get to loot some cooler, or other stuff, and get away with it. if you have a Tech-Priest with you, he or she might also be able to reconsecrate it, so that's it's in good faith.

Xenos crap? That's a no-no, but then Ork stuff is crap if you aren't an Ork, while Eldar stuff is a bit much for "lesser" beings to figure out. Chaos stuff might have similar to Astartes stuff, where it hurts you, if it isn't also just too big to use.

#27 Askil

Askil

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

Well our campaign is a political pacification due to late tithes the people we`re annihilating are for all intents and purposes loyal Imperials whose civil war has drifted into an extented stalemate which as choked off their factories and thus their output of naval armour plating.

As such looting is easier to get away with as the enemy (that we have met thus far) possesses consecrated Imperial tech.

#28 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:48 PM

The Guard is composed of people who are expendable.

A plasma gun is worth much more than a Guardsman. It may be worth 100 Guardsmen.

It's safe to say that command  is not going to look lightly on its cannon fodder looting extremely valuable equipment and keeping it for themselves instead of handing it over to the Munitorum to be  given to people who matter. If it is tainted, it should be destroyed. If it is stolen Imperial equipment (or used by traitors, which amounts to the same thing from the Munitorum's POV), then its machine spirit needs to be liberated* and it needs to be returned to the Imperium.

*equipment in the Imperium is not just equipment. They are living things. "Looting" and "kidnapping/enslaving" are the same thing.

Edited by bogi_khaosa, 06 May 2014 - 07:08 PM.

#29 Askil

Askil

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:46 AM

What complete tosh that`s how the AdMech view things. Views of technology are diverse based on culture and individual depth of admech knowledge machine spirits are (for the most part) a commonly accpeted superstition and can be spun any way the circumstances require.

The Guard would of course insist that any non-standard equipment was returned to quartermaster for safekeeping/maintainence/redistribution as soon as it is safe to do so but they do insist the same for standard issue gear too.

The number of forces with nonstandard gear however is largely indicitive of how many blindspots and loopholes there are in this system, Armageddon ork hunters anyone?

Ultimately unless the looted item is obviously out and out heretical, xenos or tainted the guard doesn`t care too much as long as you don`t crow about it or try to interfere with your standard kit, after all yourstandard kit will be recovered from your corpse and re-issued to the next wave of recruits.

Edited by Askil, 10 May 2014 - 01:48 AM.

• Alrik Vas likes this

#30 Alrik Vas

Alrik Vas

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

Ah, looting the dead.  favorite passtime of bandits and player characters.  Soldiers call it on-site procurement, which is of course different. :D

• Magnus Grendel likes this

#31 Captain Erf

Captain Erf

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:14 AM

We kinda like ramming things with our Leman Russ.

#32 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:00 AM

We kinda like ramming things with our Leman Russ.

Yeah, ramming is extremely effective I can certify it both as a user and a victim. Needs a good driver though.

#33 Captain Erf

Captain Erf

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:56 AM

Yeah, ramming is extremely effective I can certify it both as a user and a victim. Needs a good driver though.

True. Without a good driver you'd still be ramming things, just not the things you want.

#34 Traejun

Traejun

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

Focus Fire, Suppressing Fire and the liberal application of grenades.  Tends to work every time for my players when engaging in a stand-up fight (i.e. - in generally open areas).  That's why I like to put the players in different environments.  I'm especially fond of making them go room to room/house clearing.  In order to spice things up, environment can go a long way.

#35 Askil

Askil

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:28 AM

Our players where given a haul of explosives (whoohoo!)  and then reminded we are on a space station and overpressure or hulll breach are both everpresent and fatal dangers.

#36 Alrik Vas

Alrik Vas

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:06 AM

Room clearing...yeah.  All the damn time.  Overwatch with the acatran bullpup, then our guy with the heavy stubber suppresses.  If anything is still twitching, flamer time.

#37 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:21 AM

Well, since hammer of the emperor was released, is there any point to anything other than supressing fire with dual automatic grenade launchers? You ignore concealment and cover, force a million supression checks a round, and with a couple of degrees of success you also hit a bunch of random enemies (regardless of whether you could normally see and or target them, of course), draining their dodge checks and leaving them to be picked off.

I don't actually use HotE, pretty much for the above reasons, and I haven't double-checked the rules in question, but I can't remember any reason off the top of my head why you couldn't use suppressive fire with a grenade launcher. Throw in an MIU and a couple of motion predictors and you should be golden.

I am the latest model of a Fabricator-General
My body isn't nearly as much animal as mineral
My learnedness is legend; my accomplishments historical
For hereteks and aliens my hatred's categorical

#38 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:53 AM

IIRC (and I might not!), you'd run out of ammo very quickly.

Other than that? Have fun.

#39 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:11 AM

Fire selectors, my man. Two free action reloads with every purchase!

Also, there's always the possibility of buying more grenade launchers and quick drawing fresh ones when you run out of ammo. I'd imagine that would take some serious requisitioning, though.

I am the latest model of a Fabricator-General
My body isn't nearly as much animal as mineral
My learnedness is legend; my accomplishments historical
For hereteks and aliens my hatred's categorical

#40 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:23 AM

Fire selectors, my man. Two free action reloads with every purchase!

Could find the fire selector in OW and drop me a reference, please?
I couldn't find it last time I looked, and it's really necessary to make certain weapons viable.

Also, there's always the possibility of buying more grenade launchers and quick drawing fresh ones when you run out of ammo. I'd imagine that would take some serious requisitioning, though.

We tend to use weight limitations (encumberance rules :P), and they put some really hard limits on this sort of thing, very fast.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS