a question about large monster movement

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Indalecio

Indalecio

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:25 AM

That's not necessarily true about the wording. "When activating" doesn't mean "at the beginning of the activation" anymore than "when moving" means "as you take your first step," or "when attacking" means "immediately after you declare your target." The phrase "when activating" could very, very conceivably be taken to mean "during a monster's activation," and that's how my group has been playing (based on the unofficial ruling cited above on BGG.)

Okay, "when activating" could reasonably be understood as "anytime during a monster's activation" (although "when" is not "while", I would have thought "when" referred to a specific moment in time, but I'm not a native english speaker so I'll leave that to you), but I was wondering about any other occurences of the wording "when activating" or "when you activate" on other cards or even quest rules. Can we extrapolate the new definition to any instance of the wording? I wish we had a PDF version of everything in this game so we could search for specific text and make sure we have everything covered.

But yeah, I mean that's a hell of an improvement. I was already championing these cards but now this errata makes the cards Frenzy and Dash even more viable. I really like the flexibility. I don't think this is going to improve my win/lose ratio by any means, but I'm going to use my cards more effectively from now on. Wish Expert Blow got the same errata ;)

Edited by Indalecio, 21 May 2014 - 06:03 AM.

#42 Zaltyre

Zaltyre

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:46 AM

Critical Blow isn't bad- you get to wait to see the defense roll to know if you need to add surge: +3 wound. What's wrong with that?

#43 Indalecio

Indalecio

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:03 AM

Critical Blow isn't bad- you get to wait to see the defense roll to know if you need to add surge: +3 wound. What's wrong with that?

Scratch that, I meant Expert Blow. My bad.

#44 BentoSan

BentoSan

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:28 AM

Someone needs to go through the rule book and rewrite all the erratas into it, including all the unofficial ones..... that would be awesome.

#45 griton

griton

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

Someone needs to go through the rule book and rewrite all the erratas into it, including all the unofficial ones..... that would be awesome.

FFG generally does this when they make re-prints.

#46 amoshias

amoshias

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

If they proofread their games FIRST, and printed them with WORKING wordings, you'd have no reason to buy the new version, now, would you?

Not editing their games and then getting the people who love them to buy them over and over is basically FFG's business model.

#47 Zaltyre

Zaltyre

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

FFG generally does this when they make re-prints.

I noticed in my latest playthrough of the Shadow Rune, the Quest guide has definitely been altered because in "The Man Who Would Be King," Splig is corrected to being on the other side of the door. Also, a couple of the OL cards have been reprinted (like Reinforce and Bloodlust.) In some cases, they are indeed updating the product to reflect changes, and I appreciate that- however, I didn't actually buy Descent until recently, as I had been playing with a friend of mine and his older copy.

Also, Indalecio- "while" probably would be more grammatically correct than "when"- but this is English we're talking about- who ACTUALLY uses it correctly?

Edited by Zaltyre, 21 May 2014 - 04:53 PM.

#48 Indalecio

Indalecio

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:05 AM

Also, Indalecio- "while" probably would be more grammatically correct than "when"- but this is English we're talking about- who ACTUALLY uses it correctly?

Yeah, that's a shame. Would be interesting to see if other languages are doing a better job for this particular point.

#49 Albrafeust

Albrafeust

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:59 AM

Yeah, that's a shame. Would be interesting to see if other languages are doing a better job for this particular point.

In the French translation, there is the same errata in the original version, because it is made very early, as the French staff says. Sometimes it also happens that small additional errors occur and are not detected during the review phase. 
However, as the base box will be republished, the corrections will be incorporated.

Edited by Albrafeust, 22 May 2014 - 02:00 AM.

Albrafeust, Warrior of Light

#50 Indalecio

Indalecio

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:24 AM

I know I won't get my rules book automatically replaced and free of charge, but I would gladly sink some money into acquiring the new version of the rules book if it ever gets released, and maybe some of the revamped cards as well. Unfortunateley I am not aware of any FFG game with that sort of product line, although it would actually be very useful for people like me. I don't see myself printing tons of erratas and FAQs and bring them to every session, the information needs to be centralized somehow otherwise there are too many sources with conflicting interpretations.

Edited by Indalecio, 22 May 2014 - 05:49 AM.

#51 griton

griton

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:18 AM

I don't see myself printing tons of erratas and FAQs and bring them to every session, the information needs to be centralized somehow otherwise there are too many sources with conflicting interpretations.

FFG keeps their FAQ/Errata document updated and consolidated into a single PDF, so I wouldn't really classify it as "tons of erratas and FAQs". If you have a tablet or laptop available (or even a smart phone), it and the rules are easily searchable as well.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS