"It's not like we HAVE to help the Rebellion..."

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:27 PM

I would like to point out that the way the rebellion worked, according to my understanding, is that there were a lot of various cells of rebels that were largely cut off from each other and organized through a network of middlemen. That way if one cell was compromised, the whole organization wouldn't be in jeopardy. Your PCs, presumably being new to the rebellion, shouldn't have any particularly damning information, such the location of a major rebel base, until they have proven themselves loyal and reliable to the rebellion.

It depends on whether the players are part of a Sector Force or part of the main Alliance Force.

#42 Castlecruncher

Castlecruncher

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

I would like to point out that the way the rebellion worked, according to my understanding, is that there were a lot of various cells of rebels that were largely cut off from each other and organized through a network of middlemen. That way if one cell was compromised, the whole organization wouldn't be in jeopardy. Your PCs, presumably being new to the rebellion, shouldn't have any particularly damning information, such the location of a major rebel base, until they have proven themselves loyal and reliable to the rebellion.
That being said, as others have suggested, if the players are questioning working for the rebellion, I'd have a talk and discuss whether you should be playing EotE.

Oh, but they have some pretty vital info; namely the location of thirteen solar systems hidden away in Unknown Space holding many civilians. It's the reason they got in the Rebellion, because these 'colonies' as they're called joined the Alliance.

And yeah, I've asked them, and they mostly want to stick to their current characters in the current situation. (The options were continue as is or make new characters, since I don't- and never will- like the idea of the characters being able to ditch the Rebellion, especially when that would be very, very, very bad for the Rebels.)

#43 korjik

korjik

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

That being said, as others have suggested, if the players are questioning working for the rebellion, I'd have a talk and discuss whether you should be playing EotE.

Oh, but they have some pretty vital info; namely the location of thirteen solar systems hidden away in Unknown Space holding many civilians. It's the reason they got in the Rebellion, because these 'colonies' as they're called joined the Alliance.

And yeah, I've asked them, and they mostly want to stick to their current characters in the current situation. (The options were continue as is or make new characters, since I don't- and never will- like the idea of the characters being able to ditch the Rebellion, especially when that would be very, very, very bad for the Rebels.)

What would the rebellion do? Try to stop them, have them escape and tell the impys exactly the stuff the rebels dont want them to? The alliance isnt a conscript force, it is a volunteer force, and it is an alliance, not an empire. If the players are so bound and determined to do their own thing, seems like the alliance would be more interested in letting them, then rescuing them when the impys get nasty, rather than oppressing them, and having the players become impy sympathisers.

The problem you are having is that they arent playing the game you are running. far better for you to cater to their desires then yours. Let slip the leash and let them do what they want. Make it where they WANT to help the rebels, not HAVE to help them.

#44 Castlecruncher

Castlecruncher

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

What would the rebellion do? Try to stop them, have them escape and tell the impys exactly the stuff the rebels dont want them to? The alliance isnt a conscript force, it is a volunteer force, and it is an alliance, not an empire. If the players are so bound and determined to do their own thing, seems like the alliance would be more interested in letting them, then rescuing them when the impys get nasty, rather than oppressing them, and having the players become impy sympathisers.

The problem you are having is that they arent playing the game you are running. far better for you to cater to their desires then yours. Let slip the leash and let them do what they want. Make it where they WANT to help the rebels, not HAVE to help them.
Hm... Sounds good to me. Thanks for the input! If it ever comes up a bit more majorly, I'll talk to them about it. Otherwise, I think I'll throw in some more reasons for their characters to aid the rebellion. Maybe bring up some personal contacts...

#45 Kirdan Kenobi

Kirdan Kenobi

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

Bear in mind, though a volunteer force, the Rebellion IS a military, and is in a desperate fight against the empire. They take counter-espionage very seriously, and it's clear from the EU that they will execute traitors and enemy spies.

That being said, how they would handle desertion is toughie.

"Who's scruffy lookin'"

#46 Tropheus

Tropheus

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:22 AM

I haven't read everything out but did skim through. I am with the one guy who did the al-queda taking a trip to DC analogy. I would roleplay it out. I am not a big fan of splitting the group up in a campaign so if the player can convince the rest of the group its worthwhile then go for it. Now I am not sure how AoR does the whole PC group thing. In my years of playing the WEG version my groups usually were solidly on neither side and tended to survive on their own with a leaning towards the rebels(lead character was a jedi who impersonated a Grand Admiral at one point and took over one of the four Super Star Destroyers at one point, it was a short lived promotion). Not a fan of the whole having superiors tell them what to do, too much railroading involved.

If this item the PC wants so bad is that important then everyone should be willing to go on an adventure to get it. Is there a rush to do the rest of the campaign? During the time it takes to make the run there they can run into Interdictor Star Destroyers doing customs inspections that will yank them out of hyperspace. Good opportunity to introduce minor/major Imperial officers that might plague/help them later in the campaign. Meeting whoever on the planet itself could be a trap to nab them or just nab anyone trying to buy such a piece of equipment. Hell, you can make the adventure such a pain in the butt that they will be leery of doing sch things again in the future.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS