Remaining OT Trilogy Characters we might get and those prequels

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:21 PM

What I did like about the prequels was how Palpatine's rise to power was handled.  Ian McDiarmid did a great job in the role, as well.

#22 werthless

werthless

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:36 AM

If they do pull from the prequel time period, I hope they pull characters from the Clone Wars cartoon.

• Raahk likes this

#23 Zacky Midnight

Zacky Midnight

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

Jedi: Owen and Beru, Leah, 

Rebel: biggs, all the named x wings, falcon as a rebel ship, Rebel luke, nien numb, rebel lando, hobbie, zev, dak

ss: outrider, leebo, torren horn, pulsar skate and captain

sith: the remaining dark forces jedi, sim aloo, janus

navy: ozzel, tagge, piett, jerr jerrod, baron soontir fel and the sabre sqaud, all the star destroyers (tyrant, avenger etc)

sv: all the named bad guy aliens and all the bounty hunter ships

#24 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:08 AM

I'd love to see Booster Terrik and his red Star Destroyer, the Errant Venture. Not that Smugglers and Spies need a Star Destroyer on their team ... I'm more interested in Booster himself, rather than his ship.

EDIT: Woops, wrong thread. He's not OT.

Edited by Budgernaut, 30 May 2014 - 09:59 AM.

• spalanzani likes this

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#25 bobbywhiskey

bobbywhiskey

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

I always liked Piett for some reason. Fun fact, Piett is the only Imperial officer in more than one movie. They have art of him on pack 6 in this cycle. I think he, or ozzel, or maybe both will be in the new Navy hoth objective the Admiral's assault or w/e it is in pack 5 (they seem to love putting art from one pack on a different one and pack 6 is a fighter based objective and piett likes star destroyers etc)

Also jedi leia is in pack 5 in this cycle, saw someone mention that on their wish list a few posts up. Wicket is fairly likely in either her objective, or the smuggler one in pack 6 with "ewok god 3p0" but maybe not.

Edited by bobbywhiskey, 29 May 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#26 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:20 PM

If Ewoks are a thing, and they are, I'm sure Wicket will show up at some point. 

Rebel Falcon would be cool!

#27 MacRauri

MacRauri

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:31 PM

I want a Chewbacca that can steal vehicles.

• See Threebilbo likes this

#28 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

I want a Chewbacca that can steal vehicles.

Oh my gosh, yes.

It'd be great if there could be a set with Han and Chewie based around stealing vehicles and piloting them (maybe Chewie steals them and Han is an enhancement for vehicles...?).

#29 kilbil

kilbil

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

I want to see darth maul before and after(with robotic spider legs) he got his lower torso cut off

#30 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

I want to see darth maul before and after(with robotic spider legs) he got his lower torso cut off

It's interesting that with the new continuity, Thrawn isn't canon but this is.

• spalanzani and See Threebilbo like this

#31 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

Yeeeeeeah...but I do like Cad Bane and the depictions of Bossk, Dengar and the other bounty hunters.  And Asaaj Ventress is really cool.  Plus Voolvif Monn!  x3

• MarthWMaster likes this

#32 chiller087

chiller087

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

I'd like to see prequel material. Just because the movies were awful does not mean that the characters and story should be hated on. The SW narrative is awesome. We shouldn't push it away because we didn't like certain films. The prequels could have been done well, they just were not. The characters and story are still cool, though.

Well, for me, episodes IV-VI were cool and memorable (even the Ewoks are far and away much more palatable to me than anything in the prequels), so cards that make me think of episodes IV-VI are therefore cool and memorable.

Episodes I-III were steaming piles of mouth temperature gutter-filth (perhaps an over-exaggeration...perhaps...) and even at their best were just boring, so any card that makes me think of Episodes I-III are...well you get the point, I think...

Here's the first in a series of videos (that you might have already seen) that explains it all. NOT SAFE FOR WORK. If you don't want to watch the whole thing, skip ahead to about 6:50 or so, and it'll get into simple yet adroit reasoning on why the characters in the prequels were bad.  I agree they had potential, but my imagination can only stretch so far.  It would out-right snap if I attempted to look at a Queen Amidala card and think, "Man...so cool...I really want to throw this into my deck..."

#33 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

It's really funny how Leia subverts gender sterotypes to some extent in a series of movies from the late seventies to early eighties, yet Amidala enforces those same stereotypes in films that came out much later.

#34 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

Honestly, I think the biggest hurdle for prequel inclusion is the need for at least one additional affiliation for each side (Republic and Confederacy).

I think that one could make a good case for having the Separatists be a combination of Neutral objective sets and Sith, and the Republic be a mix of Neutral and Rebel Alliance.

Maybe a cool idea would be to have there be one Dark Side Neutral Affiliation and one Light Side Neutral Affiliation, where the Affiliation card gives you some minor perk for using it.  

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#35 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

I don't play Game of Thrones, but doesn't their system include something like that?

#36 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:01 AM

I don't play Game of Thrones, but doesn't their system include something like that?

Yes, they do. There is a Neutral Faction house card. But, AGoT works a bit differently with respect to resources and deck construction. In AGoT you can play cards from houses other than the one whose house card you are running, but you pay 2 more gold than the printed cost to do so. The Neutral Faction house card reduces the out-of-house gold penalty to one instead of two. Then, there are other cards that have synergy with running the Neutral Faction house card. It essentially is aimed at letting players make a highly Neutral deck that they can easily splash some other things into. 

But, in AGoT, gold is gold. There is the resource match thing to consider in SW. 

Edited by divinityofnumber, 03 June 2014 - 08:01 AM.

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#37 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

Here's the first in a series of videos (that you might have already seen) that explains it all. NOT SAFE FOR WORK. If you don't want to watch the whole thing, skip ahead to about 6:50 or so, and it'll get into simple yet adroit reasoning on why the characters in the prequels were bad.  I agree they had potential, but my imagination can only stretch so far.  It would out-right snap if I attempted to look at a Queen Amidala card and think, "Man...so cool...I really want to throw this into my deck..."

I'll attempt to address this comment. First of all, you have to separate characters from actors. Just because the actors did a bad job, doesn't mean the character wasn't developed (and I am not saying whether or not I think the actors did a bad job). Let's look at some of these charactes.

Qui-Gon Jinn: He is a stoic, pensive individual. He has a strong sense of personal justice and will do what he thinks is right, even when it conflicts with what his superiors or other external forces tell him he should do. He is caring and compassionate, yet he keeps his distance. He is more wise than most, but not quite a sage.

Queen Amidala: She is young and naive, but very brave. Her courage extends not only to life-threatening situations, but she will also do what she thinks is right even if it puts her career on the line. She cares deeply for those whom she interacts with.

So here we see a main reason why some might say their are no good characters in episode 1: these two characters have very similar personalities despite being in very different occupations. But just because they aren't stereotypical characters that you can slap a label on (like Han Solo being a rogue) they still have character. But let's continue.

Obi-Wan Kenobi: He is a younger fellow who believes in maintaining the status quo. His quest in life is to follow the letter of the law. However, he can sometimes be swayed by those close to him to disregard standard protocol for their welfare.

Jar Jar Binks: A stupid, clumsy, childish, immature outcast. Perhaps the most stereotypical character in Episode 1. So you see, characters with easy-to-label archetypes are not necessarily good characters.

On a final note, it's important to realize that George knew all along that the first three parts were just setting the stage for IV-VI. Episodes I-III were never supposed to be about a hero's journey. Do I think they could have been done better? Yes. Could they have made it feel more about Anakin Skywalker than they did? Absolutely. But George didn't want to do the prequels for a long time precisely because he thought it would be a boring story, so I can't really fault him if they ended up being less dramatic than episodes IV-VI.

• spalanzani and See Threebilbo like this

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#38 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

Excellent points.

My issue with the prequel stories is not the stories in and of themselves.  It is their very different mode and how much it clashes with that of the original trilogy.  If I may weigh in as a literary scholar... :P

The original trilogy is told using mythological symbolism (Lucas was a friend of Joseph Campbell).  This type of storytelling is very focused on primal (so to speak) character types, settings, and situations.  Lack of depth is used as a strength to make the symbols more powerful.

What Lucas wanted to do with the prequels, as I understand it, was akin to Shakespearean tragedy.  That's a very, very different kind of work.  Much more complex and controlled story, because it feels inevitable (a key point in tragedy being, as Aristotle puts in Poetics, that you know it can't help but turn out sadly).

My issue with the prequels is that these different types of stories just don't mesh that well, especially when Lucas said he wanted to make the whole six episode series about Anakin.  That just doesn't work with the original trilogy films as they are, or at least not as well as it could have.

My two cents, hehe!

#39 INtheShadowplay

INtheShadowplay

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

Ugh. No prequel stuff. Don't send FFG that message. Keep it original trilogy and, if this game is still around by then, add the JJ Abrams stuff if it's good. The expanded universe stuff that happened during the original trilogy and after is pretty cool for the most part too, that's good stuff.

ITT: Neckbeards use the powers of Autism and a thesaurus to respond to you.

#40 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

I agree; the post-RotJ stuff I know of was okay, but I really liked the 'during the OT' things I've read.

I hear that Death Star novel is supposed to be pretty good.  You know a novel based on an IP isn't bad when Publisher's Weekly reviews it.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS