Oberyns Shield Bearer vs Carrion Bird

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HastAttack

HastAttack

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:04 AM

What happens if an opponent has triggered OSB against me and I then win a challenge with the Carrion Bird?

Does the CR response (Cannot be cancelled) still get triggered and does this use up one of the 3 next effects that OSB refers to?

thanks

OSB

If it is Summer, discard Oberyn’s Shield Bearer (cannot be saved) to cancel the next 3 effects triggered by a single opponent (of your choice) this round.

CR

After you win a challenge in which Carrion Bird participated, shuffle any number of Raven cards from your discard pile,one card with the printed Raven trait from play, back into their owner's decks. (Cannot be canceled.)

#2 HastAttack

HastAttack

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:09 AM

Follow up question: (I'm assuming CR response happens and cannot be cancelled)

Is the ODB effect continuous - let's say that at the start of the challenge phase my opponent triggers OSB

I win the first challenge, a militatry with Carrion Bird as discard a raven from play - it is no longer summer

Are my next 2 (or 3) responses still cancelled

If the effect is not continous, would it still be summer for the duration of the current challenge (whilst Black Raven is moribund) 

#3 JohnyNFullEffect

JohnyNFullEffect

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:14 AM

This is interesting. I'd like to see what people think.

I'd say CB's effect goes through and the next 3 are still cancelled since nothing was cancelled to reduce it to the next 2.

Edited by JohnyNFullEffect, 29 April 2014 - 07:14 AM.

#4 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:26 AM

Carrion Bird's response cannot be canceled.  Oberyn's Shield Bearer cancels the NEXT 3 triggered effects.

If Carrion Bird's response triggers, Oberyn's Shield Bearer attempts to cancel it and fails.  This uses up one of the three attempts because Carrion Bird's technically the NEXT triggered effect, so it meets the condition of Oberyn's Shield Bearer.

So, yes, a "cannot be canceled" triggered effect will soak up one of the three Oberyn's Shield Bearers cancel attempts.

This would also be true for River Blockade if the first location's triggered effect has a "cannot be canceled" clause.  It would use up River Blockades "cancel an opponent's the first triggered effect" for a location each round if it was the first triggered effect.

• Ratatoskr likes this

#5 HastAttack

HastAttack

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:34 AM

Thanks Bomb

So the second question is relevent ... Black Raven could be discarded making it not summer

I assume it remain summer whilst BR is moribund and I think something like OSB's effect is still active, but not sure?

#6 Miklos

Miklos

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

According to some previous - and somehow similar - cases; 

Oberyn's shield bearer is triggered.

Next 3 triggers of the opponent are cancelled.

First trigger: Carrion bird wins challenge and trigger its response.

Carrion bird's response cannot be cancelled - it goes through. But OSB number of triggers are reduced by one.

So if you have 3 carrion birds and your first 3 triggers are these, then OSB is depleted and will not block anything.

As I know this is similar to River Blockade and Castle Battlements (or Outfitted for War) If you trigger the attached location's ability, then River Blockade would cancel it - if the location would not be immune to anything but plot effect. So River blockade's ability is used up.

And if my memory serves right, there was a post on The Painted Table and Carrion bird which was answered by KTom. Player trigger The painted table, and the next trigger is Carrion bird. Then Carrion bird's ability goes through and The painted table's cancel is used up.

http://community.fan...+painted +table

#7 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:50 AM

Yes, Carrion Bird will be able to discard a Black Raven because Oberyn's Shield Bearer does not cancel the triggered effect.

#8 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

Once a lasting effect is activated, it goes to its duration no matter what else happens. The duration of OSB is "three triggered effects." It doesn't matter if it stays Summer through those 3 triggered effects or not - that's how long OSB's effect cancels stuff. (Another reason CB counts against OSB despite not being canceled: it's a triggered effect for that "3 effects" duration.)

#9 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

Sorry HastAttack.  I misread the question.

#10 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:03 AM

Immunity doesn't strop abilities being cancelled (Scope of Immunity).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS