Two-Handed Decks

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:44 AM

Hmmmmm.... very tempted to try out swapping Legolas for the upcoming Tactics Aragorn Hero (tactigorn! :P )

and removing some cards from both decks to run x2 Sword that was Broken and x2 Wingfoot.
My thoughts are that Aragorn can quest instead of Elladan and Elladan can still be pumped up with blades etc (and even Bow of the Galadrim if Rivendell Bow is equipped first) instead of Legolas and the rest can be put on Haldir (who receives the first two almost always anyway) and Glorfindel. This way Elladan takes over the previous duties that Legolas had and Aragorn takes over Elladans. Elladan will usually gain ranged and even if not Haldir and Glorindel (and various allies, orophin rumil etc) can help with attacking duties as per usual, so can Aragorn if he isn't needed for questing or has Wingfoot attached. As well as this he will gain the Leadership sphere from StwB as well as +1 willpower (+1 to all other characters for this deck as well) and with Wingfoot will also be able to potentially both quest and attack. His -1 to defense to enemies engaged with this deck would be insanely good as this deck engages most enemies anyway, it would help Haldir more easily kill enemies engaged with the other deck with his ability and would help Elladan more easily take out enemies as well.
Elladan taking over attacking duties from Legolas in this situation would allow use of Elladan's ability as well and if you get ranged and a few other attack boosting attachments on him he can easily clear most enemies on his own. With appropriate defense set up and enough resources on Elladan you could safety quest with all other heroes but Elrohir and Elladan and still defend everything and then take out all or most enemies as well. This would potentially allow the brothers to shine.

I see many many boosts to the decks with this change including (repeating myself but will keep it brief and to the point) allowing Elladan's ability to be properly used, Aragorn's two abilities, Aragorn's boost to questing through the Sword, Aragorn being able to attack alongside Elladan after questing with Wingfoot and the boost to Haldir's ability through the -1 defense.

The only real downsides I can see are the loss of Legolas's progress ability and two heroes with ranged off the bat (can fairly easily get it on Elladan to replace this and also have many allies with ranged as well) and the high starting threat.

Any thoughts anyone?

~Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul~

~One ring to cover the lands in complete and utter misery, one ring for the dark lord to work his wretched trickery~

#82 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 838 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:03 AM

Sounds like a fun experiment at least. I'm always sad to see Legolas go, but Aragorn should be pretty fun.
  • PsychoRocka likes this

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#83 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:54 AM

Instead I tried out the Galadriel Hero instead of Glorfindel and x3 Nenya instead of x3 Asfaloth against Journey down the Anduin and it went really really well!! Light of Valinor on Elrond worked really well and Galadriels effect every round (never drew Nenya!) was insanely insanely good. May very well stick with these changes depending on several more test games.

~Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul~

~One ring to cover the lands in complete and utter misery, one ring for the dark lord to work his wretched trickery~

#84 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 838 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:35 AM

Yea, I love Galadriel, and unless I'm building a deck that has very little willpower, I don't care at all if she never sees Nenya.

• PsychoRocka likes this

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#85 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:24 PM

Question for you guys:  When building these two handed decks do you artificially constrain yourselves to 3 total copies of a card (or less)?  For example, if you had Galadriel in one hand and Sp Glorifindel in the other, would you allow yourself 6 total copies of A Test of Will?

• PsychoRocka likes this
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#86 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:33 PM

Very nice question! I however use a tactics/leadership deck and spirit/lore deck so apart from Neutral cards, of which I don't use many, I don't have any cards both decks can play anyway so only ever run x3 of anything across both deck.

If something like A Test of Will (not that it would ever be but just purely hypothetical) was neutral I wouldn't stop myself or consider it wrong in any way to include x3 copies in both decks.

I also only have one core set so unless the card was that good I wouldn't bother making proxies and would still just run the x3 in one deck.

Oh oh I used to run x2 Core Set Gandalf in each deck but changed that to 3 in the leadership deck (duh for sneak attack) and none in the spirit/lore deck.

#87 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:37 PM

Yea, I love Galadriel, and unless I'm building a deck that has very little willpower, I don't care at all if she never sees Nenya.

I've played two matches so far, Journey down the Anduin (which I won and didn't get nenya all match) and Celebrimbors Secret (which I lost but had Nenya AND Unexpected Courage on Galadriel) and Nenya definitely isn't integral unless its a quest that requires high willpower off the bat. Even with Nenya and Unexpected Courage I wasn't able to overcome my first attempt of Celebrimbor's Secret but I had super unlucky draws and had so many locations come out... on the first game I don't have Asfaloth anymore!

#88 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 838 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:21 PM

Question for you guys:  When building these two handed decks do you artificially constrain yourselves to 3 total copies of a card (or less)?  For example, if you had Galadriel in one hand and Sp Glorifindel in the other, would you allow yourself 6 total copies of A Test of Will?

I mostly play online using OCTGN, so if I have two decks with the same spheres, I won't limit myself. In the current versions of the decks I posted here I have 3x A Test of Will in each deck because it's almost never a dead card and because I played Steward's Fear with only 3x total and it totally failed. I specifically built  both decks to have Lore in them because I wanted both decks to have 3x Galadhrim Minstrel and 3x The Tree People. They are that good and practically essential to Silvan decks. I also gave each deck 2x (I believe) Silvan Trackers.

#89 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:01 AM

I've played two matches so far, Journey down the Anduin (which I won and didn't get nenya all match) and Celebrimbors Secret (which I lost but had Nenya AND Unexpected Courage on Galadriel) and Nenya definitely isn't integral unless its a quest that requires high willpower off the bat. Even with Nenya and Unexpected Courage I wasn't able to overcome my first attempt of Celebrimbor's Secret but I had super unlucky draws and had so many locations come out... on the first game I don't have Asfaloth anymore!

Wow so just lost another 3 games of Celebrimbors Secret using Galadriel instead of Glorfindel and after swapping back to Glorfindel and having Asfaloth first turn I won on my first attempt..... Don't think I'll be makin this change after all as Asfaloth is utterly intergral for ALOT of quests that are location heavy. Just northern trackers and raw willpower are not enough, especially in quests like this where locations staying in play too long trigger nasty effects (scour in this quest).

I even had x2 Asfaloth in the Galadriel version of the deck but it was simply not enough. Galadriel you were insanely fun to play with but im keeping my Glorfindel crutch after all it seems! =\

I made a few minor changes when swapping back to using Glorfindel

Deck 1: Tactics/Leadership (Elven Fury) 
Heroes:
Legolas - 9
Elladan - 10
Elrohir – 10

Starting threat – 29

Allies: (19)

3x - Gandalf (Core)
3x - Envoy of Pelargir
3x - Naith Guide
3x - Gondorian Spearman
3x - Galadhon Archer
1x - Faramir
1x - Boromir
2x - Galadriel
1x - Erestor

Attachments: (22)
2x - Rivendell Bow
3x - Steward of Gondor
3x - Gondorian Shield
3x - Rivendell Blade
3x - Bow of the Galadhrim
3x - Dunedain Mark
3x - Elven Mail
1x - O Lorien

Events: (9)
3x - Feint
3x - Sneak Attack
3x - Feigned Voices

Erestor is a great ally and I simply added x1 of him! More willpower is always good and his ability can be very useful.

Deck 2: Lore/Spirit (Elven Finesse)

Heroes:
Elrond - 13
Haldir Of Lorien - 9
Glorfindel (Spirit)  – 5

Starting threat – 27

Allies: (17)

3x - Arwen Undomiel
3x - Galadhrim Minstrel
3x - Warden of Healing
2x - Northern Tracker
3x - Galadriel's Handmaiden
2x - Mirkwood Runner
1x - Gildor Inglorian

Attachments: (19)
3x - Asfaloth
3x - Light of Valinor
3x - Ranger Spikes
1x - Unexpected Courage
2x - A Burning Brand 
3x - Lembas
3x - Cloak of Lorien
1x - Vilya

Events: (17)
3x - A Test of Will
3x - Elrond's Counsel
3x - Hasty Stroke
2x - Galahadrim's Greeting
3x - Gildor's Counsel
3x - Daeron's Runes

Sideboard: (3)
3x - Power of Orthanc (simply added if needed)
3x - Forest Snare (simply added if needed)
1x - Fortune or Fate (simply added if needed)

Took out a copy of Northern Tracker and added a single copy of Vilya, just giving Elrond spirit Sphere alone helps play Galadrims Greeting and also lets you more easily save a back up resource for Test of Will and Hasty Stroke. It also makes unexpected courage easier to play. The ability itself is great especially if its in a game you decide to play LoV on Elrond instead of Glorfindel as this way you can quest with Elrond and use Vilya as well. The ability isn't overly amazing in this deck however and can actually fail altogther on several cards but it can also be quite powerful getting you a free Gildor or Northern Tracker or even just smaller ally that triggers an effect like the two Silvan allies in this deck. It can also give you a free 6 threat reduction from Galadrims Greeting or put one of many useful attachments into play such as ranger spikes, lembas, asfaloth etc. Just x1 as it will sometimes fail and should only be used when you're in a good position/during a good round, as an all or nothing move or when you have LoV or Unexpected Courage on Elrond anyway or many allies out.

• joezim007 likes this

#90 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:49 AM

Question for you guys: When building these two handed decks do you artificially constrain yourselves to 3 total copies of a card (or less)? For example, if you had Galadriel in one hand and Sp Glorifindel in the other, would you allow yourself 6 total copies of A Test of Will?

Yes I do. Though for into ilthien I have considered adding a test of will to both decks.... And some of the Silvan allies and events are quite tempting too.

(mostly play with the cards just don't enjoy the electronic versions as much)

Edited by chuckles, 06 December 2014 - 02:59 AM.

• PsychoRocka likes this

"Do not believe him! He has lost all power, save his voice that can still daunt you and deceive you, if you let it."

#91 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:17 AM

Deck 1: Tactics/Leadership (Elven Fury) 
Heroes:
Celeborn - 11
Elladan - 10
Elrohir – 10

Starting threat – 31

Allies: (18)

3x - Gandalf (Core)
3x - Naith Guide
3x - Galadhon Archer
3x - Envoy of Pelargir
1x - Faramir
2x - Orophin
2x - Galadriel
1x - Erestor

Attachments: (20)
3x - Steward of Gondor
3x - Gondorian Shield
3x - Dunedain Mark
3x - Rivendell Blade
3x - Elven Mail
2x - Rivendell Bow
2x - Bow of the Galadhrim
2x - O Lorien

Events: (9)
3x - Feint
3x - Sneak Attack
3x - Feigned Voices
3x - Pursuing the Enemy

Ok so some major changes I'm posting today!! Decided to embrace the Silvan trait a little more and replaced Legolas with Celeborn! My logic is that for the threat gain of two Elladan will now no longer quest and will pick up Legolas's attacking duties (will not have ranged or the progress ability but can attack multiple times) and instead Celeborn will take up Elladan's questing duties with an additional point of willpower off the bat! As well as this all the various Silvan allies in my two decks will now get the boost from Celeborn on the first turn they enter play. Considering I already use all four basic Silvan allies (Minstrel, Archer, Handmaiden and Guide) and a few others as well (Mirkwood Runner and Orophin) this seems pretty damn beneficial I've also removed most of the less necessary or important tactics cards so that Elladan will only pay for essential tactics cards and be able to use his multiple attack ability more often. Most of these tactics cards weren't very thematic anyway other than Rumil who had to come out as he is simply too expensive now that I have only one tactics hero. I then included a second copy of O Lorien, the Galadriel ally and put x3 Pursuing the Enemy which is tactics but 0 cost.
O Lorien also helps reduce the cost of the Archer to one tactics resource.
Erestor, Orophin, Galadriel and Faramir are all far more playable now and will also have far less impact on Elrohir's ability to defend multiple attacks as Celeborn can help pay for them and Orophin can only cost 2 from O Lorien as well. Steward of Gondor is also MUCH easier to play first turn now and will then also provide its two resources allowing you to play O Lorien AND Sneak Attack Gandalf or O Lorien and a Naith Guide or even O Lorien/Sneak Attack and a Dunedain Mark all on the first turn and not including what you can do with your tactics resource on Elladan. Galadriel ally is now much more useful and can put into play one of your tactics attachments which although they only cost 1 because there is only one tactics hero now is far more useful than it was before.
This new version of the deck is working incredibly well so far and seems to provide far more questing power and even damage output sometimes and the only real detrimental effect from the changes seems to be the loss of Legolas's progress ability. I think what would have been really cool is for one of the Silvan events to have returned a Silvan ally to your hand and put progress on a location equal to that allies cost. Thematic (the elf is scouting an area for you) and useful!
Don't know why I was so hesitant to go full Silvan but now that I have I don't regret it a bit. You could argue it isn't quite full Silvan as there is no Galadriel, Tree People or Island Amid Perils. Unless we get a couple more Silvan allies in the Lore and Spirit sphere I don't think The Tree People is quite good enough for the way I have my decks set up and Island Amid Perils is good but I have a fair bit of threat reduction already. Galadriel just isn't for me but the two events may get included in the future. I also really love all the Noldor cards and effects I still use and will not be abandoning them probably ever especially not Elrond and his offspring Elrohir, Elladan and Arwen.

Deck 2: Lore/Spirit (Elven Finesse)

Heroes:
Elrond - 13
Haldir Of Lorien - 9
Glorfindel (Spirit)  – 5

Starting threat – 27

Allies: (19)

3x - Arwen Undomiel
3x - Galadhrim Minstrel
3x - Warden of Healing
2x - Northern Tracker
3x - Galadriel's Handmaiden
2x - Mirkwood Runner
2x - Silvan Tracker
1x - Gildor Inglorian

Attachments: (17)
3x - Asfaloth
3x - Light of Valinor
3x - Ranger Spikes
1x - Unexpected Courage
3x - Lembas
3x - Cloak of Lorien
1x - Vilya

Events: (17)
3x - A Test of Will
3x - Elrond's Counsel
3x - Hasty Stroke
2x - Galahadrim's Greeting
3x - Gildor's Counsel
3x - Daeron's Runes

Sideboard: (3)
3x - Power of Orthanc (simply added if needed)
3x - Forest Snare (simply added if needed)
1x - Fortune or Fate (simply added if needed)

Only one change to this deck which was removing the two copies of Burning Brand and putting in two Silvan Trackers. With the new changes and further embrace of the Silvan trait in the other deck it only seems right to include a few more Silvan allies in this deck as well. Now I've been going on about Burning Brand a lot lately and as good as it is on Elrond even if he only defends a couple of times in a game I rarely ever use him to do so and with the new addition of Celeborn who also makes a fantastic defender (can have all the same items as Elrond (cloak, elven mail etc) except Burning Brand BUT is healed by the Silvan Trackers) its a waste of two cards in this deck. So often if a shadow effect is going to harm me its going to anyway as I've already used Elrond to quest (or even to use Vilya which I now run x1 of ). Unexpected Courage fits better on Haldir (or even Celeborn) if Elrond doesn't have Vilya and LoV is obviously better on Glorfindel so Elrond is simpy not often used enough as a defender to justify Burning Brand. Silvan Tracker however will heal many characters including Haldir, Celeborn, Orophin and Mirkwood Runners and itself obviously which is great against Archery and direct damage and it also provides a point of willpower or attack to help out as well (or 2 on the turn it enters play thanks to Celeborn).

Edited by PsychoRocka, 13 December 2014 - 04:51 AM.

• tomtom and gandalfDK like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS