Top 10 "Lovecraftian-est" Investigators

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Krysmopompas

Krysmopompas

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:01 AM

I'll pull some out of my *** - I mean, 'back pocket' - and go with gut feelings on who I remember. 

Unfortunately since it's HPL we're talking about here, that means white men get almost every spot on this list.

Harvey Walters - like others have mentioned, seems to be the prototypical HPL old man scholar here. Plus he's in virtually every version of Call of Cthulhu since they invented the game.

Norman Withers - old scholar again.

Diana Stanley - she wouldn't have been written about, but if you look closely you could imagine her in the background or between the lines of an HPL story.

George Barnaby - mainly because he's an old white man, learned, and is rich enough to travel (he even has a boat in his picture).

Leo Anderson - did he become a background explorer in the Mountains of Madness?

Luke Robinson - can see him in the vein of Erich Zann or hanging in the House in the Mists.

Monterey Jack - MAYBE

Roland Banks - with the gang clearing out Innsmouth.

Silas Marsh - on the boat to R'lyeh

Vincent Lee - medical doctors seem natural. 

any female researcher, scholar, secretary, etc: I'd like to think so but not typically HPL.

• Julia likes this

#22 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:46 AM

any female researcher, scholar, secretary, etc: I'd like to think so but not typically HPL.

Thanks for saying you'd like to, but agreed, not many female characters having a leading role in any of HPL tales (actually, I cannot remember ONE, but it's a long time since I read the tales, so maybe I don't remember)

• Soakman likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#23 Soakman

Soakman

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

Thanks for saying you'd like to, but agreed, not many female characters having a leading role in any of HPL tales (actually, I cannot remember ONE, but it's a long time since I read the tales, so maybe I don't remember)

True.  Many of the characters seem to me to have fitting backstories and archetypes if you were to ignore them being female or of color.  For instance, if Amanda Sharpe or Daisy Walker were male grad students, I could very much see either of them being included. Even if they were assistant to Harvey Walters (or any of his doppelgangers).

And although not a Protaganist, Agnes reminds me of the Witch from Dreams of the Witch House. Only less weird. Her story says she commands spriits not otherworldly rat-things and non-euclidean blobs of colors. Anyway, the witch-type could be sort of similar to Krysmopompas's assessment of Diana: someone you could find in the "background" of a story.

Edited by Soakman, 01 August 2014 - 11:42 AM.

Gallery of Thematic Custom Investigators

You can find the .EON File Page @ Board Game Geek! Just follow this link: http://boardgamegeek...#comment4314881

#24 Fake Ghost Pirate

Fake Ghost Pirate

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

If Lovecraft had lived within the past 20 years, would he have written pigeonholed stereotypes?

The experts (S.T. Joshi etc) say he softened his bigoted views a lot towards the end of his life, so no, I don't think he would have stereotyped nearly as much had he lived. It's not just minorities who are pigeonholed: I believe he used the phrase "white trash" in at least one story, and his protagonists are usually from the same anglo New England caste- just as stereotyped as anyone else. 

The sad truth is, I think people were pigenholed into certain roles in real life back in the old days. Would a real-life Lili Chen have even existed? Cause I don't think the Far East was big on training women in martial arts back in those days. Lili would be an unlikely, remarkable person, almost a superhero- the more ordinary characters seem the most Lovecraftian to me. Jim Culver rings truer to me, cause there were Jazz musicians everywhere back in the Jazz age. I don't see where he's a stereotype, but if he is he's a positive one. 

I agree with the post about Amanda Sharpe- she should be a male grad student instead. Daisy Walker should remain female, probably cause I'm used to female librarians.

Edited by Fake Ghost Pirate, 08 August 2014 - 09:38 AM.

#25 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

Would a real-life Lili Chen have even existed? Cause I don't think the Far East was big on training women in martial arts back in those days.

The Wing Chun traditionally was created by Ng Mui, a female monk lived in the 17th century :P

Edited by Julia, 08 August 2014 - 10:50 AM.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#26 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

If you're a fan of Wing Chun, made spectacularly popular by Bruce Lee, check out the movie "Ip Man" ~ It's terrific!

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#27 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for the tip, Joe :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS