Not how to do this 2.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nisshan

Nisshan

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:02 AM

one of my players wanted a pet.. And bought a Dinko it had been in captivity for a while so it is not wild but far from domesticated.

I let the player use charm to become freindly with the beast and leadership to make the dinko not bite him..

I wanted to make more than 1 check part of the campaign. this it what I came up with. not sure if it will work right.

i'm will let him use these skills:

charm

leadership

xenologi

survival

thought i would do it like this stacking succes:

5succs wont bite player (skill check: any)

8-10 house clean (skill check: charm, xenologi)

15 wont bite freinds (skill check: leadership)

25 direct (minor) (skill check: Survival)

35 (something)

50 full controll 

number of successes required.. skill used.. 

make sense?

not sure how to handle advantages and triumph.

advantages could count as succes or give boost die. and triumph just automatically brings you to the next level.

threat could remove successes or give stress.. despair would make the beast attack you..

#2 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

Woah, triple post.

When dealing with creatures the CRB suggests using Survival rather than charm, so I would suggest going with that.

Beyond that, you suggestion of stacking successes is plausible, but I would simplify it further by using one single survival check.

Arbitrarily I would pick a month to train the creature.

A failure means the beast is still not "Trained" and the player must try again later.

1 Threat could increase the time of training by a week.

2 Threat means the creature could have problems with certain species or babies or other kinds of triggers. This could have the creature start barking (yipping, mewing, bleating, etc..)  randomly or even attack (depending on the number of threats) that trigger.

a Despair could indicate a rebellious nature and seemingly at the worse times the creature could decide not to listen or do something completely inappropriate.

A success indicates the creature will not attack you and will come when beckoned.

1 Advantage would mean that it won't attack your party.

1 Advantage would mean the creature is house trained,

1 Advantage decreases the time of training by 1 week.

2 Advantage to learn a trick (Can be taken multiple times to learn new tricks.)

• Fetch
  • Stay
  • Guard
  • Attack
  • Speak/Silence

A Triumph could mean the beast has grown to recognize the trainer as the Alpha and understands all basic tricks and commands.

Largely it would be up to you how all of the threat/advantages, Triumph/Despair and success/failures mix and interact.

As for your last suggestion,  I would not have advantages count as success, it does a disservice to the multiple success/failure axis that is baked into this game.

• Liloki and Kshatriya like this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#3 Nisshan

Nisshan

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

great post. I'm gonna do exactly that.

• kaosoe likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS