Getting the EotE rulebook along with AoR

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Gridash

Gridash

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:34 AM

I really like the setting of Age of Rebellion, it seems to be the most iconic to me when I think of Star Wars as a whole. 

That said, is there any reason to get the Edge of the Empire rulebook for extra stuff? I know it features different classes but aside from that I can assume all the rules are the same.

Are there maybe extra weapons/armor/force powers/ ... ?

Compatibility between the different books seems to be the norm.

Edited by Gridash, 26 April 2014 - 12:25 PM.

#2 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

Extra classes, extra ships, extra weapons.

Also I would recommend Deadly Covenants and Suns of Fortune since both include capital ship classes used by the rebellion, and in the case of Deadly Covenants a brand new one which IMO is very likely to be used by the Alliance.

Edited by RogueCorona, 26 April 2014 - 11:53 AM.

• Gridash and AgentShadow like this

#3 Prost

Prost

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

Obligation if you want to give players that option over Duty (or to go with it.)

Races, careers and specializations.

Gear is largely the same, but Edge has a vastly different vehicle list than AoR, with a focus on transports over fighters and bigger ships.

Edge has NPC stat blocks that will not all be represented in AoR.

Force stuff (different Talent tree and 2 non-repeated powers)

Planet focus/info on the galaxy I would guess will be different

And an adventure, which while Edge focus, just has more material to utilize.

I agree with RogueCorona about Sons of Fortune. That book works well for either game style as it's basically 'Tips, tricks and info on playing in the Corellian Sand Box.'

Jewel of Yavin and Beyond the Rim could EASILY be adapted for a Rebellion party (gaining supplies for Rebs rather than paying of debt/personal profit).

Enter the Unknown - Besides ships and gear, there are Fringer specs. 2 of which aren't in AoR. Since AoR could pick them up, might be useful. Also has a lot of good intel on just out of the way places, which also has a lot of cross over with AoR themes.

Dangerous Covenants - 3 new talent trees, gear, ships, and Merc company ideas which could be another great source for AoR.

While the lines are looking to fit their theme, I imagine you will find cross over and utility in pretty much all books. 

• Gridash likes this

#4 aramis

aramis

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

There was only one truly new piece of personal equipment in AOR Beta.

There were a lot of new vehicles and ships; about 75% of the Beta's ships were new.

About 66% of the NPC statblocks were new.

• Gridash likes this

#5 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

I really like the setting of Age of Rebellion, it seems to be the most iconic to me when I think of Star Wars as a whole. 

That said, is there any reason to get the Edge of the Empire rulebook for extra stuff? I know it features different classes but aside from that I can assume all the rules are the same.

Are there maybe extra weapons/armor/force powers/ ... ?

Compatibility between the different books seems to be the norm.

The rules are the same but for the handful of talents added in AoR.  Obviously as you said the careers/specs. A different Force Sensitive tree in each.  Two different Force Powers.  You don't need more than one CRB, but all the different careers/specs are nice.

I'm curious to see what substantive changes there are between AoR beta and the new CRB.  I got the beta book and I look forward to someone going through it for info on that.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#6 Gridash

Gridash

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:44 AM

Thanks for the quick replies guys, it seems that getting EotE does hold more merit than I first thought it be.

#7 FootNote

FootNote

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

I think EotE, AoR and the core force book will all work hand in hand with each other. Rather than three games, look at them as parts of one game.

• GMmL likes this

"Everything Flows down leash...." -Anonymous 

FootNote's Custom Droids

#8 knasserII

knasserII

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:36 AM

Thanks for the quick replies guys, it seems that getting EotE does hold more merit than I first thought it be.

There's going to be *a lot* of duplication. Most of the book in fact. If you want a spare rulebook at the table or you want extra ships and careers, then it's good. And there's nothing wrong with having both books. But if your funds are limited, it's very inefficient.

Edited by knasserII, 28 April 2014 - 06:37 AM.

I lack credentials.

#9 bigity

bigity

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

Hopefully at some point we can get a combined core book that includes all of the material into one reference.  Then at some point you can grab that for an extra book or new players can get everything a little cheaper than 3x 60 dollar boxes.

I am just starting to get into this game, please tell me the fiddly bits are toned WAAAAY down from WHFRP.

#10 knasserII

knasserII

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

Hopefully at some point we can get a combined core book that includes all of the material into one reference.  Then at some point you can grab that for an extra book or new players can get everything a little cheaper than 3x 60 dollar boxes.

I am just starting to get into this game, please tell me the fiddly bits are toned WAAAAY down from WHFRP.

I would definitely like such a combined book!

As to WHFRP, I haven't played it (I liked 1st ed. far too much to be able to bear what 3rd looked like to me), but having run EotE I can say there are very few fiddly bits so I think it must be toned down just because I can't imagine anyone describing EotE as having lots of fiddly bits. So good news there, at least! :)

I lack credentials.

#11 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:51 PM

Fiddly bits are almost non-existent in FFG's Star Wars system.  Closest you might have is tokens to reflect the Destiny Pool, but that's optional (and I've covered it using a white and black d10 to track the light and dark side totals).

As for a consolidated rulebook... probably not for a while, seeing as how the Force & Destiny core rulebook won't be released until 2015.  It depends on how much FFG wants to stick to their idea of allowing groups to pick & choose which elements of the overall Star Wars experience that they're going with under the three corebook system.  After all, not every group is going to want to buy a book that has page space devoted to careers and specs that they'll never use in the games; I'm sure there are folks that have zero interest in the Force material and would likely balk at having Force & Destiny material taking up valuable page space in what's going to be a very expensive book.

While this likely won't be a popular option, perhaps down the road FFG might opt do a "Player's Guide" and "GM's Guide" that combines the career/specs, gear/ships, Force powers, and combat chapters into the player book while the GM sections of each of the three books get combined into a single GM book.  It'll ultimately depend on how the sales for their "three separate but interchangeable" core rulebook approach are.  If the sales are good, then I doubt FFG is going to suddenly rock the boat by combining everything into one massive tome that's likely to have a price point of at least $90 if not more.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#12 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:57 PM

Way less fiddlies.  Dice.  Books.  That's it.  Destiny can be tracked with just about anything, quarters, I use Othello pieces which are perfect.  Maybe some pencils and paper, a tablet and laptop etc.  No fiddlelienss though.

• bigity likes this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#13 sithlord71

sithlord71

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:26 AM

When the time comes and all 3 CRB are available,it will form the star wars universe as a whole.

Although the core rules may be the same,it gives the chance to have a variety of material while having multiple CRB.

Since each CRB will have it's own product line,it makes owning all the books to enhance star wars completely.

Well i plan on purchasing all the books,so i guess im not the best one to ask.

IMO,it's always worth the purchase.

#14 bigity

bigity

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:14 AM

Fiddly bits are almost non-existent in FFG's Star Wars system.  Closest you might have is tokens to reflect the Destiny Pool, but that's optional (and I've covered it using a white and black d10 to track the light and dark side totals).

As for a consolidated rulebook... probably not for a while, seeing as how the Force & Destiny core rulebook won't be released until 2015.  It depends on how much FFG wants to stick to their idea of allowing groups to pick & choose which elements of the overall Star Wars experience that they're going with under the three corebook system.  After all, not every group is going to want to buy a book that has page space devoted to careers and specs that they'll never use in the games; I'm sure there are folks that have zero interest in the Force material and would likely balk at having Force & Destiny material taking up valuable page space in what's going to be a very expensive book.

While this likely won't be a popular option, perhaps down the road FFG might opt do a "Player's Guide" and "GM's Guide" that combines the career/specs, gear/ships, Force powers, and combat chapters into the player book while the GM sections of each of the three books get combined into a single GM book.  It'll ultimately depend on how the sales for their "three separate but interchangeable" core rulebook approach are.  If the sales are good, then I doubt FFG is going to suddenly rock the boat by combining everything into one massive tome that's likely to have a price point of at least $90 if not more.

That's fine, if they break out just the setting-specific stuff into another book that would work as well.  Basically, what if I want an assasin droid in my AotR game. Or a bothan. Or eventually the campaign transitions to beyond-trilogy and a full on jedi user makes sense? 

I'd rather not have to buy a 60 book which is what, 80-90 percent rules - I'd like an option for the careers, etc information only, to plug into whatever game book I already have.

Ah, who am I kidding really, assuming FFG keeps the game going (looking at WHFRP 3 here), I'll probably buy it all.  I just hope it takes awhile before it fills up the same amount of space as my WEG Star Wars books.

Edited by bigity, 29 April 2014 - 08:15 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS