Cards in Shadow of Nerekhall

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

So I finally got around to picking up a copy of Shadow of Nerekhall yesterday (huzzah!)

I'm very excited about the expansion in general, however, I'm noticing something about the cards.  Maybe it's just my imagination, but the cards (ALL the cards) in SoN seem somehow less rigid or thinner than the cards from previous boxes.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it possible that this is some sort of manufacturing defect?

The cards don't look any thinner than previous material, but they feel like they bend easier between my fingers.  I don't really know enough about the manufacturing process to say if this is a problem or not.

#2 Demoncow

Demoncow

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:56 AM

You have inspired me to check my copy.
  • walkinstube likes this
Demoncow: He who has become a marauder.

#3 Glorious Strategist

Glorious Strategist

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:05 AM

YES! I never mentioned it on here, because I thought it was my imagination, but they definitely felt thinner to me. I sleeve all of my standard sized cards for Descent and I noticed it immediately while sleeving them. I hope this isn't a new trend going forward with FFG titles.

#4 Demoncow

Demoncow

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

Same for me, thinner and bend easier.

• walkinstube likes this

#5 amoshias

amoshias

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

The design, playtesting, and proofreading are all thinner than in previous boxes - it doesn't surprise me at all that the physical cards are as well :-) That being said, I didn't notice it - but I haven't spent a ton of time thumbing through the cards or anything.

#6 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

Well, I certainly agree in hoping that this isn't a trend going forward.  FFG games are traditionally not cheap, but that's OK because the components have always been top notch.  If that's changing...

But if this is how everyone's cards are, then I suppose there's no point in asking for replacements.

Edited by Steve-O, 26 April 2014 - 11:52 AM.

#7 Bladen

Bladen

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

Liutenant card have similiar "defect" :)

#8 Demoncow

Demoncow

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

If fewer than 10 people have the same thing, I will ask for a replacement.

• walkinstube likes this

#9 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:50 PM

Liutenant card have similiar "defect" :)

Are you referring to cards in the LT packs here? Or the LT cards in SoN?
In my case it's true of ALL the cards in SoN, big or small. They're all this way.

#10 Bladen

Bladen

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:42 AM

I mean liutenant packs.

Edited by Bladen, 28 April 2014 - 01:42 AM.

#11 Glorious Strategist

Glorious Strategist

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:23 PM

I mean liutenant packs.

Same here, I have the Mirklace Lieutenant Pack and it too has the thinner/flimsier cards.

#12 Demoncow

Demoncow

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:23 PM

Damn, I probably won't get a replacement.

• walkinstube likes this

#13 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:53 PM

Same here, I have the Mirklace Lieutenant Pack and it too has the thinner/flimsier cards.

Well, that's really unfortunate.

#14 evilhead

evilhead

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

RE: the cards -- how many of what type of sleeves do I need? I cannot find a photo of the back of the box anywhere...

#15 Demoncow

Demoncow

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

Well, I complained. I will post again when I have an answer. 

• walkinstube likes this

#16 griton

griton

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

RE: the cards -- how many of what type of sleeves do I need? I cannot find a photo of the back of the box anywhere...

If you look at the product pages, you'll see green and yellow boxes with numbers. These tell you how many of the official FFG packs you need to get. The colors determine the size and the numbers determine the # of packs. 

#17 Electris

Electris

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:14 PM

I noticed the same thing about the cards in nerekhall and lieutenant packs. I was slightly disappointed until I saw how the cards don't seem to stay bent after excessive bending by players. While the mov to slimmer cards might be cost driven, I will be happy as long as then remain durable.

Then again I end up laminating all of them anyways.

#18 Demoncow

Demoncow

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

They said it is not bad enough to replace, no more FFG games for me.

• walkinstube likes this

#19 griton

griton

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:54 AM

They said it is not bad enough to replace, no more FFG games for me.

Really? Slightly thicker cards is the driving reason you were purchasing their games? That sounds a little extreme. Had they always used the new cards, would you have even noticed/cared?

And as Electris pointed out, they may "feel" less durable, but might also have other benefits to them.

Granted, I haven't seen the new cards, but I really doubt that unless you let kids chew on them, have people constantly spilling things on them, or have players which just don't show any respect for your things and constantly mangle things, their new durability is so significantly less that it suddenly makes a massive difference.

#20 Electris

Electris

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

Due to the many beer spills during Descent 1E RTL, i bought a laminator that stiffens all of the cards and protects them.

I have long term plans to make Descent 2E hot-tub capable.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS