Photo

I will be using this topic to dump my random questions. please help!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 northwesternranger

northwesternranger

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:36 AM

Reading dice: Mainly boons/banes.

-Can these be used for anything other than what is on the card/the restoration of fatigue and stress/what happens if the action fails but you still have a pool of boons/banes.

-Fear: lingering/dependant. What determines which one I use. I take it dependent would be from a creature causing fear/terror as the cause is still there in front of the player.

more to come. thanks :)

#2 Ralzar

Ralzar

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

Boons/Banes: See p45 of the rulebook from the Core set.

2 Boons: Recover 1 Fatigue/Stress

2 Banes: Loose 1 Fatigue/Stress

You can also use them, if you want and feel inspired, to introduce some way that an action went better/worse.

Fear: Yeah, basically you just use common sense. A lot of the rules in the game are like that. Just do what makes the most sense for the story.

#3 northwesternranger

northwesternranger

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

initiative: is this a straight up roll of the agility dice or does it have any difficulty dice etc? 

#4 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:30 AM

Initiative:  blue dice only agility roll.  Only successes count unless you character has the Talent card that allows you to also count boons.

http://www.fantasyfl...ws.asp?eidn=841

http://www.fantasyfl...ws.asp?eidn=859

http://www.fantasyfl...ws.asp?eidn=899

And, I also recommend you watch this video:  

Edited by Emirikol, 26 April 2014 - 08:44 AM.

• socratim likes this

#5 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

The GM Guide and various other sources have suggestions for uses of boons/banes etc., the GM thread "better GM screen" has some fan summaries of those.

Remember to put out location cards when you can, including ones for weather effects and situational ones.  In the market perhaps Chaos Star can mean pickpocket, if it's raining that your bowstring or powder got wet etc.

#6 northwesternranger

northwesternranger

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

thanks for the replies. also has FFG ever released monster standee packs. My group is big on the visual props and stuff like 1 standee for a zombie available in the various box sets (carminative) just doesn't cut it for the bigger fights especially the big garden of morr fight in the gathering storm.

we also use some home brew grid movement as we're just too battle mat trained from years of d&d and pathfinder. old habits die hard.

this system is fantastic though, we're just getting our heads around everything at the moment.

#7 Ralzar

Ralzar

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

Remember to put out location cards when you can, including ones for weather effects and situational ones.  In the market perhaps Chaos Star can mean pickpocket, if it's raining that your bowstring or powder got wet etc.

When preparing for sessions I have started making notes on fitting generic Chaos Star triggers. Just a few keywords so I have something to get inspiration from if I can't think of a special negative effect related to the test. For example:

City/market:

*Pickpocket

*Stepping in something unsavory

*Jostled by crowd

*Buying a useless item from a persuasive merchant.

*Getting noticed by the city watch

Not all work for all situations, but one of them will probably fit.

Edited by Ralzar, 26 April 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#8 Ralzar

Ralzar

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:18 PM

thanks for the replies. also has FFG ever released monster standee packs. My group is big on the visual props and stuff like 1 standee for a zombie available in the various box sets (carminative) just doesn't cut it for the bigger fights especially the big garden of morr fight in the gathering storm.

The number of standups is really annoying. I have just about all products, and I still have way too few standups of some types while I have too many of others. Not sure if there is a boxed set with just a decent mix of standups. The Monster Vault perhaps?

Edited by Ralzar, 26 April 2014 - 04:18 PM.

#9 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

Pathfinder is releasing huge boxes of their standups.  You might find enough there :)

#10 r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

-Fear: lingering/dependant. What determines which one I use. I take it dependent would be from a creature causing fear/terror as the cause is still there in front of the player.

Of the two different "Frightened" cards to use, always use the one that says "Lingering Effect". It's from one of the reprint Vault products, and is actually a replacement card that incorporates important errata. The older version had ambiguous wording that could be interpreted in at least two functionally-different ways, but the Lingering-version reprint fixes that with much more precise language. Feel free to throw away the older "Dependent" version, as it is in error.

As for more boon/bane effects, the Player's Guide has a new (at the time of publishing) section on "freestyle boons and banes" that's not in the boxed set.

None of the sets has a perfect mix of standups, I'm afraid. The Creature Vault has a lot of good ones (and I recommend it), but not really in the correct proportion that would be useful. Many of the henchmen monsters (snotlings, zombies, ungors, etc) are in short supply unless you buy multiple copies of the same boxed set (which I don't recommend unless FFG puts them on sale again this winter).

#11 GMmL

GMmL

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

The number of standups is really annoying. I have just about all products, and I still have way too few standups of some types while I have too many of others. Not sure if there is a boxed set with just a decent mix of standups. The Monster Vault perhaps?

Creature Vault does help things quite a bit. Clever use of the Pathfinder boxes can supplement if need be.

#12 Ralzar

Ralzar

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:18 PM

I think I might consider investing in a second Creature Vault.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS