Photo

Is Epic play more forgiving to the TIE Advanced?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Orsonius

Orsonius

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:01 PM

Just a quick thought...

Because the Advanced problems'  really only worth maybe 3 points does the Epic format make this moot, considering the disadvantage is spread over a 300 point system? The inefficiancies can also be covered by adding support craft to cover for it?

Is the Advanced now fixed?

Edited by Orsonius, 25 April 2014 - 09:12 PM.

#2 AtomicFryingPan

AtomicFryingPan

• Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:03 PM

Wouldn't say fixed, but I hope to see mareek in lists more often now.

Rebel Fleet- 6 X-wings, 4 A-wings, 4 Y-wings, 3 B-Wings, 3 HWK-290, 1YT-1300, 3 E-wings, 3 Z95, 1 Transport, 1 Corvette.

Empire Fleet- 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Adv, 4 Tie Int, 2 Tie Bombers, 2 Firespray, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Defenders, 2 Phantoms

#3 klyver

klyver

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

made me consider using it, but i only have 1 so it shall always be vader

Xwing Tournament Wins = 6

#4 TheWanderingMiller

TheWanderingMiller

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:38 PM

Fixed might be too strong of a word.  With more points to field I think the issue is mitigated a bit.  That being said, the Tie Advanced is still overpriced and fielding it will create a point advantage for your opponent.  Fielding 1 or 2 might not make a noticeable difference but can you imagine someone fielding 12 TIE Advanced in Epic Play (8 in Epic Team Play)?   :huh:

#5 Orsonius

Orsonius

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

made me consider using it, but i only have 1 so it shall always be vader

I've got 4, felt like a waste until Epic showed up...

#6 MajorJuggler

MajorJuggler

MathWinger

• Members
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:20 PM

Overcosted is overcosted. 12 TIE Advanced should not do particularly well. That said, I have 4 TIe Advanced, but I prefer House Rules when playing with them. (free FCS, and -1 cost for all but Vader).

#7 AlexW

AlexW

• Members
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

More points may allow for wider margin of list inefficiency but it won't allow high numbers of TIE advanced to be fielded effectively. The ship I think really takes a hit in epic is the interceptor, though, with just way too many guns on the board to escape concentrated fire power.
  • MajorJuggler likes this

#8 Johdo

Johdo

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:56 PM

I was wondering when this thread would appear. I owe my friend 5 bucks now
  • AdmiralThrawn likes this

My Current Fleet...

Spoiler

For a list of SE MI games = http://community.fan...games/?p=795971

#9 Klutz

Klutz

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:00 PM

Maarek Steele might be more useful depending on the huge ships' critical damage effects?
  • Sithborg likes this

#10 Admiral JCJF

Admiral JCJF

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:43 PM

No.

It's still overcosted and more points doesn't change that on an individual ship basis.

#11 markcsoul

markcsoul

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:54 PM

For people like me who don't have a lot of ships they will need to use every ship at their disposable to field 300 points, so yes the advanced will definitely get more use.

REBEL: 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 3 X-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 1 Z-95, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75

IMPERIAL: 1 Advanced, 1 Bomber, 2 Defenders, 3 Fighters, 3 Interceptors, 1 Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Shuttle

SCUM: TBD

#12 TheRealStarkiller

TheRealStarkiller

Scourge Of The Galaxy

• Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:29 AM

We don't know the huge ship critical damage deck yet ... but there might be a use for Maarek + Marksmanship + Clusters now.

Yes the Advanced is still overcosted - but wasting 3 points in a 300 point game is less then in a 100 point game ^^

But this is true for Maarek only - and only because critical damage may matter and the lack of 'natural' evade dice of the huge ships. So put some ion cannons in play and see if Maarek could do the trick.

Besides that I see no reason why to use Tempests or Storms in epic mode.

Sir, rebel transports sighted \                              / Affirmative.                                                           

(-o-)  (-o-)    (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)    (-o-)  (-o-) 

Excellent! Gamma wing, prepare for torpedo run. We'll provide cover.

|-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (<o>)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   

#13 Stone37

Stone37

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

The Tie Advance is more durable than most ships in the Imperial fleet. That's for sure.

#14 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

Vader could see more play now, but the ship in general is still too expensive. Likely still won't get played much.
Just another stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf-Herder bidding you, Fly Casual.

#15 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

Having seen the damage deck, Maarek's stock just jumped up.

#16 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

Mareek is now more valuable against huge ships.

The 5 straight is now more valuable with a larger board to cover.

Generic advances still aren't and never will be great but Vader has always been strong and Mareek is great against the right ships, and the number of "right ships" just got larger. We still won't see them in numbers but they might find themselves sneaking in in ones or twos now and then.

Of course as much as huge ships are a boon for Mr. Steele wave four is going to make him cry like a little baby with all those low hull ships...

Edited by Vonpenguin, 26 April 2014 - 12:03 PM.

• oneway likes this

#17 JJFDVORAK

JJFDVORAK

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

Of course as much as huge ships are a boon for Mr. Steele wave four is going to make him cry like a little baby with all those low hull ships...

I am not sure that I see why low hull ships will make him cry.  True they won't carry around the affects of critical hits nearly as long as large or huge ships, but when your picking 3 and choosing the best, you have a lot better chance of getting a Direct Hit which will end the day of a low hull ship real quick.

#18 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

Against low hull ships, he's too costly for his effect. But when he can use his ability to bring down higher hull ships his cost isn't that disproportionate.

MajorJuggler's collection of useful links. A must for all players new or old.

#19 JJFDVORAK

JJFDVORAK

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

And no the advanced is not fixed.  It is still overcosted/under offensive.  It will see more play than before but part of that is that everyone has 1 or 2 (or more)laying around they never ever use and with so many points to make up they might have too, or at least be willing to risk them a bit more.  Also the Tie Advanced has always been good at longer games, so with Epic being played with more ships and longer times,a Tie Advanced might be just what the doctor ordered.

#20 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

I am not sure that I see why low hull ships will make him cry.  True they won't carry around the affects of critical hits nearly as long as large or huge ships, but when your picking 3 and choosing the best, you have a lot better chance of getting a Direct Hit which will end the day of a low hull ship real quick.

Well out of the critable hit points of a two hull ship 50% of that is pointless since they will be dead anyway. Even a direct hit is worthless if they were on their last hitpoint anyway. Mareek ideally wants low evade, high hull ships like the y-wing, large ships, or huge ships, HWKs are on the fence. He's not horrible against low hulls, at least not more than any two attack ship, but his ability isn't nearly as useful.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS