27 replies to this topic

#1 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

Ok peoples,

I have a table but I would like go buy a 3x3 board to place ontop of it so it can't be super heavy what what are some thoughts

Bonus if I want to take it with me any thoughts on a board that can fold in half.
I have ships,
Pew Pew Pew

#2 Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

Is there a reason you don't want to use a mat?

You could try making your own board using foamcore; a local craft/hobby store would have one big enough.

#3 Hujoe Bigs

Hujoe Bigs

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

I just took some felt, cut it to 3 feet length, got a cardboard display board and cut it in the center to make it fold 3 times over (folds down to a 12x36 rectangle) spray glue onto the cardboard, glued felt on, flicked white paint and called it finished. Gives me around 6 inches on the length to put cards, is sturdy enough for slight over hang, and is portable. Cost me 8 bucks and 1 1/2 hours of my time.

Side note, since its glued down the bases don't seem to get caught as much on fibers but still gives that extra grip.

Edited by Hujoe Bigs, 25 April 2014 - 04:49 PM.

Rebels: 4 X-wings, 2-Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 3 E-wings, 4 Z-95s, 1 YT-1300, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290, 1 CR90, 1 GR-75 

Imperials: 5 Tie/Ln, 1 Tie/Adv, 7 Tie/In, 2 Tie/Sa, 2 Tie/D, 3 Phantoms, 1 FireSpray, 2 Lambda

#4 Cptnhalfbeard

Cptnhalfbeard

• Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

If you cut a piece of MDF (medium density fiberboard) and cover it in felt it makes a cheap table topper, it's not that heavy.

#5 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:23 PM

Is there a reason you don't want to use a mat?

You could try making your own board using foamcore; a local craft/hobby store would have one big enough.

My table is not wide enough for a Matt and I would like something light weight. I was playing on my friends table that was 2x4 we made it work it was just not ideal.
I have ships,
Pew Pew Pew

#6 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:24 PM

If you cut a piece of MDF (medium density fiberboard) and cover it in felt it makes a cheap table topper, it's not that heavy.

I have a GO board from MDF it is nice but super heavy. I I have to carry it every where when I travel that's going to get old.

Edited by Cubanboy, 25 April 2014 - 06:24 PM.

I have ships,
Pew Pew Pew

#7 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

I just took some felt, cut it to 3 feet length, got a cardboard display board and cut it in the center to make it fold 3 times over (folds down to a 12x36 rectangle) spray glue onto the cardboard, glued felt on, flicked white paint and called it finished. Gives me around 6 inches on the length to put cards, is sturdy enough for slight over hang, and is portable. Cost me 8 bucks and 1 1/2 hours of my time.
Side note, since its glued down the bases don't seem to get caught as much on fibers but still gives that extra grip.

I was thinking about using project board like for school stuff if they make one wide enough. I think your style though.
I have ships,
Pew Pew Pew

#8 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:29 PM

A piece of quarter inch Masonite with a framework of 1x3s underneath. Should be reasonably lightweight and still sturdy enough to not warp. You could even cut it in half and hinge the pieces, though that would reword a bit more woodworking to ensure the hinges font make the centerline rise up a little.
  • Cubanboy likes this

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#9 Gullwind

Gullwind

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:34 PM

Last year I built a 4x4 tabletop out of four 2x2 pieces of 1/4 plywood and 1x2 frames. They are fairly light, you can easily carry two in each hand, or all four in a stack. They hold together with magnets, but I want to add some dowels  to hold them in alignment better.

I painted a 3x3 square in the middle, so there is a six inch border for cards. It works pretty well.

• Cubanboy and BahnCalamari like this

#10 ancientsociety

ancientsociety

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:47 PM

Actually the tutorial I posted today uses a 3x3' sheet of 4mm masonite and it does double-duty - one side is a starfield for X-Wing, the other is covered with tan felt for Wild West/desert games. It's thick enough to not warp during storage or play, but thin and light enough to be carried around the house.

#11 0Dark

0Dark

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:35 AM

I've used 2 A1-sized pieces of black project board, with stars drawn using gold and silver Sharpies. It folds in half stores flat or upright and only cost £9, so is easily and cheaply replaced. The whole thing is actually 3' x 4', so adding another sheet would make an (almost) 3' x 6' board for epic play and my dining table also expands to that size........... Not sure where I'll fit all my pilot cards, upgrades and tokens though...... I might have to 'recruit'/'commandeer' the sideboard as a 2nd play area!
REBEL ALLIANCE: 4x X Wing, 2x Y Wing, 2x A Wing, 2x B Wing, Rebel Aces,1x E Wing, 2x Z95, 2x HWK, 1x YT1300, 1x GR75, 1x CR90
EMPIRE: 6x TIE, 2x TIE B, 2x TIE Int, Imperial Aces, 1x TIE X1, 1x TIE P, 1x TIE D, 1x Lambda, 2x Firespray 31
SCUM: (by default) 2x Y Wing, 2x HWK, 2x Z95, 2x Firespray 31
No movement without fire

#12 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

MDF comes in various thicknesses. I've used 3mm for lots of stuff and it's not heavy. Check your local hardware store.

For X-Wing I use a simple black cloth. It's like T-shirt material, so it stays flat and is very hard to wrinkle. Felt is just a bit too thick sometimes.

• Cubanboy likes this

Rick   -   Hastings, New Zealand

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

Scum & Villainy: 2 Z-95 (planned), 1 Y-Wing (planned) + 1 HWK-290, 1 Y-Wing, 1 Firespray-31 (ready to go)

#13 Krynn007

Krynn007

Shinigami

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

Walmart has cheap folding tables
Rebels4 xwing, 2 awings, 2 bwings,1 ywing, 1 Falcon, 1hwk, 1 ewing, 2 z95,1 reb aces, 1 transport, 1 Tantive,
Imperials
6 tie/ft, 2 squints, 1 aces, 4 bombers, 1 tie adv, 1 shuttle, 2 Firespray, 2 phantom, 1 tie defender

#14 jetsetter

jetsetter

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

Eucaboard from Home Depot, comes in 4x8 sheets, have them cut it to two 3x3's....paint it black, or just put a mat on top of it. Stores easily and provides a good, level play surface.

#15 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

walmart has folding 3x4 foam boad...

• Cubanboy likes this

anybody in the Sumter S.C. area???

#16 AlexW

AlexW

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

Ok peoples,
I have a table but I would like go buy a 3x3 board to place ontop of it so it can't be super heavy what what are some thoughts
Bonus if I want to take it with me any thoughts on a board that can fold in half.

I used hardboard and it worked great. Thin, light but very solid.

#17 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

Great ideas friends
I have ships,
Pew Pew Pew

#18 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

Actually the tutorial I posted today uses a 3x3' sheet of 4mm masonite and it does double-duty - one side is a starfield for X-Wing, the other is covered with tan felt for Wild West/desert games. It's thick enough to not warp during storage or play, but thin and light enough to be carried around the house.

You have a link?
I have ships,
Pew Pew Pew

#19 darkflop

darkflop

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:58 PM

Personally I wanted something very cheap, light and foldable to put on a table that wasn't wide enough for my 3x3 mat, the best solution I found was two pieces of 900x600x5mm Corflute (Corrugated plastic). Very light, taped the two pieces together. It does warp under pressure, but considering the weight of X-Wing minis it's not a problem, and extremely cheap (AU$15 at Bunnings for both pieces).

I haven't painted it since I have a mat to put on top, but I don't think I would be too difficult with spray paint.

#20 Derbes

Derbes

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:59 PM

I used a 4x4 piece of hardwood. It's light weight and works well.

Edited by Derbes, 27 April 2014 - 12:05 AM.

Dion Erbes

New Market, MN

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS