• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Sephirex

Sephirex

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

http://starwars.com/...a-new-page.html

So it looks like they're clearly marking anything non-cinematic and pre-disney as part of this apocrypha brand.   There's good chances they'll draw and rework popular characters into the new canon, but for right now, everything's gone.

So where does this leave the LCG?   Are we going to have to rename it to Star Wars Legends the Card Game?

#2 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

I think you're defining things a bit narrowly.  There's plenty of EU that isn't post RotJ.  The way I read the article is that's the only things that are definitely going to the "Legends" banner.  Pre-RotJ that still fits with Episodes 1-6 and Clone Wars, and soon Rebels might still escape the Legends banner.

Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 

#3 Sephirex

Sephirex

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

Rebels was done under the supervision of Disney, so it's going to be canon.

Also, I don't see where your getting the info that only post-ROTJ will be legends.  It looks like all EU is getting the treatment.

Edited by Sephirex, 25 April 2014 - 12:19 PM.

#4 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

It says right in the article Rebels and it's prequel novel are canon.

#5 Gunner070

Gunner070

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

Rename this game: Star Wars Legends: The Card Game. I officially don't care about anything that comes out from Disney now. Sad day......

#6 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

I'm not at all versed in post-ROTJ stuff (I like the supplementary novels/stories that take place during the original trilogy), but I have to say that I kind of get where they're coming from.  EU is incredibly fertile and has a lot of great stuff...but it's just so, so much, and since they're doing a sequel trilogy, it makes sense to cut it out.

Shame, though, I agree.  The Ssi-ruu were pretty sweet.

#7 Darth a

Darth a

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

I'm happy with the decision but I'm also thinking that FFG have options now and could go two ways. Or both.

They could stop using any or all EU from now and concentrate just on cannon.

They could just stick to legends, with the shackles off those dream cards become more viable and it could cash in on the generation the player base is it.

They could try and support both.

I think they have it within there power to be pleasing to all crowds. This could be really good news for the games.
  • Joker Two likes this

#8 mischraum.de

mischraum.de

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

I do not care too much. The card game is not about replaying the movie. It is more of a "what if". Having characters in a "what if" that are not cannon ... so what?
Travelling for LCG tournaments: Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Gen Con, Genoa, Göteborg, Liege, Salzburg
Next destination: Make a suggestion!

#9 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

But these are both upcoming projects. So far the only thing that has been confirmed to remain as canon is Clone Wars CG.

So I guess, Ryloth has a day/night cycle from now on. Other than that, I think this change is good for the franchise and our game, especially since this doesn't necessarily mean that Thrawn, et al never happened: what can be salvaged from those books in the advent of the sequel trilogy most likely will be, as writers are still free to pull from that material. All that's different now is that they have a Story Team present to minimize canonical discrepancies, and I like that. I hated not knowing what to believe about Ryloth for the time since its appearance in CW. It's nice to have closure.

EDIT: A better example than Ryloth I just thought of, is the half-a-hundred people including Kyle Katarn who stole the Death Star plans. Leeland Chee won't have to bend the canon over backwards to make sense out of that sort of thing anymore. There'll be one "true" story of how the Rebels stole the plans, and that's it. Way less confusing.

Edited by MarthWMaster, 27 April 2014 - 04:38 PM.

• GroggyGolem likes this
"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#10 KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

But these are both upcoming projects. So far the only thing that has been confirmed to remain as canon is Clone Wars CG.

Those are the only things confirmed so far I still think some key characters like Dash and Mara may be kept around, just what happens to them post RotJ might change.

• Toqtamish likes this

#11 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

The kids are probably history, though. :/
"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#12 chiller087

chiller087

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:26 PM

Good riddance.

• MarthWMaster likes this

#13 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:22 PM

I'll be happy as long as ...

SPOILER ALERT

as long as Chewy isn't still going to be crushed by any moons in the new movies/EU.

• zombieearl and See Threebilbo like this

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

#14 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:13 PM

^^^^

Pretty much that.  Learning about Chewie's death through spoilers really turned me off from the post-RotJ stuff anyway.  And I'm going to be super mean and say that I didn't really care for the idea of Han and Leia's childred being super strong Jedi/Sith whatever.  Not that I don't trust Yoda when he says the Force is strong in Luke's family, but I've never really liked works (written or otherwise) that have super awesome heroes with super awesome kids/descendants.  I mean, what's wrong with a hero having a well-deserved retirement?  Lord knows that's what I'd want.

#15 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:03 AM

The actor who played Chewie is already reported to be returning.

#16 DarthTwiztid

DarthTwiztid

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

I would be interested in an official response to what the EU rebranding means for the game. 

#17 brakiss

brakiss

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:21 AM

So much for getting a Brakiss card....

#18 Demas

Demas

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:17 AM

I would be interested in an official response to what the EU rebranding means for the game. 

I believe one of TheForce.net's podcasters ran into a FFG exec / editor after the announcement who assured him their licensing deal is intact and all products would continue to go forwards and their relationship with Lucasarts is as strong as ever.

The podcaster editorialized that all FFG games should be considered new material produced under the Legends banner even if they don't ever actually bear that brand (especially the RPG modules which extend the story; compared to the cardgame / X-Wing which just draw from Legends).

A statement is premature until Disney / Lucasarts tells them what they want done.  Until then, it should be business as usual and the main impact, if any, is if they get that banner.  In a way, it would be a good thing to get it because then they could draw from Legends unfettered and without worry about stepping on the toes of the Story Group's canon.

#19 See Threebilbo

See Threebilbo

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:23 AM

I hope it does turn out that way.  It certainly seems like it would cause fewer issues down the road.

#20 skatepharmacy

skatepharmacy

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:42 AM

The EU was never canon to Lucas so literally nothing has changed.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS