• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:25 AM

So, here's some fun news.

Weep or rejoice. I for one don't mind new stories.

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#2 algnc

algnc

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

This seems great. Use the best of the old stuff while being able to make new stories post RotJ.

#3 Atraangelis

Atraangelis

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

Lets hope they dump , New Jedi Order and bring Darth Talon back a few years!

• kaosoe likes this
Obsidian Portal:Unforeseen Fates

#4 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

Weep or rejoice.

Rejoice :)

• Jegergryte and Desslok like this

#5 Drathen

Drathen

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

There is no way Disney will add Darth Talon ...unless they actually throw clothes on her.

• kaosoe likes this

#6 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

Her clothes aren't much skimpier than some of the outfits of the Disney princesses. Technically she wears more clothing than the mermaids in fact.

#7 KJDavid

KJDavid

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

Rejoice!

Even for people who like all the post-RotJ EU stuff, I think most of it can agree that well has been pretty tapped out.

#8 MandalorynOranj

MandalorynOranj

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:57 PM

Eh, kind of wish they had done more of a selective pruning, but I understand the decision to just purge it all.

• awayputurwpn likes this

#9 Morridini

Morridini

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:28 PM

Here I have invested hundreds of dollars, read at least 60 books and a hell of a lot more of the comics... and I rejoice over these news!

The EU has grown too bloated, there is simply too much stuff there. This led to me giving up trying to stay with the game (gave up during LotF, and haven't read any Star Wars novels since Sacrifice). Now however they give me a chance to start reading Star Wars again WITHOUT an insane backlog, I can stay up to date by reading them as they are released, perfect!

• ccarlson101, aljovin, Jegergryte and 1 other like this

#10 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:34 PM

Rejoice!

Happy to have a new beginning. If a ship or other element is good they will change it to fit a new story rather than be beholden to the past (future as the case may be)
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#11 hencook

hencook

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience, Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe. While the universe that readers knew is changing, it is not being discarded. Creators of new Star Wars entertainment have full access to the rich content of the Expanded Universe. For example, elements of the EU are included in Star Wars Rebels. The Inquisitor, the Imperial Security Bureau, and Sienar Fleet Systems are story elements in the new animated series, and all these ideas find their origins in roleplaying game material published in the 1980s.

I bet all they're going to do is nod to EU when possible, but no major stories are made. Small stuff like the names of things, like Coruscant won't change anything, but they're probably going to dump everything else that's major. I hope they don't dump Mara Jade.

#12 MajorTomK

MajorTomK

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

:D Good news to me!

I didn't even know about EU until I explored the X-Wing forum.

"Lucas always made it clear that he was not beholden to the EU. He set the films he created as the canon. This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align."

For me, and it seems Lucas himself, "canon" is what I have seen in the six movies and what I will see in the sequel trilogy. Though I've not seen it yet, The Clone Wars is on my "to buy" list and I feel the same about "Rebels".

"Quit hitting me with those negative waves" - Oddball

Yellow Card warned not ignored

Red Card ignored for month

Black Book Ignored forever:

#13 kinnison

kinnison

• Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

Tho now we will have purists that only follow "new" canon, and ignore the "Legend" canon.  But i can see a problem with a snowball effect.

For example, from the article we know the ISB exists.  Does COMPNOR exist also? what about Emporer's hand?

Or simpler, if we spot a Twi'lek does that mean it only comes in the colors we see? Does Ryloth exist? what about Ryll? Glitteryll? and what about the Secret Lekku language?

I almost see a bunch of guys running around with stamps (like George did) and trying to find all the stuff they like and marking it into a story.  and not bothering to come up with anything new.

Check out my current Campaign:

The Minos Cluster

Last session 9/6/14 'Beyond the Rim: Episode I'

Last Update 9/20/14

#14 swiftdraw

swiftdraw

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

Though I've not seen it yet, The Clone Wars is on my "to buy" list and I feel the same about "Rebels".

They'd be for me too if I could get over the CG art style. I never could get over it. As it is, I just catch the highlights on Wookiepedia.

I'm not too sad about the EU getting deleted (or put under the 'Legends' tags), but I really hope Dark Horse can finish it's second Legacy series and get out on TPB before they lose out on the publishing rights. The series has been pretty entertaining.

#15 MajorTomK

MajorTomK

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

Tho now we will have purists that only follow "new" canon, and ignore the "Legend" canon.  But i can see a problem with a snowball effect.

For example, from the article we know the ISB exists.  Does COMPNOR exist also? what about Emporer's hand?

Or simpler, if we spot a Twi'lek does that mean it only comes in the colors we see? Does Ryloth exist? what about Ryll? Glitteryll? and what about the Secret Lekku language?

I almost see a bunch of guys running around with stamps (like George did) and trying to find all the stuff they like and marking it into a story.  and not bothering to come up with anything new.

My reason for movie/series only is to keep life simple. However, I'm not against making up new things:

http://community.fan...before-i-start/

I also have another personal creation: USLAG

United Seperatist League of Allied Governments

Thank you Ray Winston

So don't worry, not all of us are against new and different things.

"Quit hitting me with those negative waves" - Oddball

Yellow Card warned not ignored

Red Card ignored for month

Black Book Ignored forever:

#16 Grimmshade

Grimmshade

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

I haven't really read a post RotJ story that I like, so I'm super happy it's all being tossed out. The EU was too bloated with mediocre to crappy material anyway.

That said, I don't think this completely invalidates most EU stuff from pre-RotJ. Not until it's officially replaced with something in the new fiction anyway. Have they mentioned things like Shadows of the Empire and the Old Republic stuff?

My favorite EU books, the Han Solo trilogy by Daley, should be fine unless that come out and say the Corporate Sector doesn't exist.

#17 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

The biggest shame about what's going to be ongoing canon isn't the loss of the EU, it's that all the drek from the PT stays in. :P

• Doc, the Weasel, Haggard, Jegergryte and 5 others like this

#18 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

Ryloth showed up in The Clone Wars kind of. They kept the planet's name but ignored everything else that had been established about its weather and climate. That was part of what I hated about the Clone Wars. The writers had a nasty tendency to write stories that clashed with the EU when they could easily tell the same story without clashing with the EU. In the case of the Ryloth arc all that would have taken would be setting the story on a Twi'lek colony world rather than their homeworld.

Ironically that arc also included a nod to the EU since the Republic fleet in the climatic engagement of the first episode used the Marg Sabl closure maneuver Thrawn used in the first battle shown in Heir to the Empire.

• Kshatriya, Colyer and swiftdraw like this

#19 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:16 PM

I wonder, am I correct in my understanding that new novels slated for release will be canon?

Now wookiepedia needs to set up a Canon/Legends distinction on their stuff. Unless they want to ignore this and go "rogue".

I'm kind of happy about all this, because it seems that the rpg belongs in the legends category, the all-inclusive category, taking in everything legend and canon, everything they create of their own will probably automatically equate Legends, and not checked by the story group for implementation into the canon.

Ah... this is sort of a nice solution!

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#20 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

Rejoice! You can't chain your writers/filmmakers to a stack of crappy books.

Okay, they weren't all crappy, but most of the ones I read were (I finally gave up with Rogue Planet). Plus, knowing that everything from now on is going to be official, I might actually start reading the new releases... if they're not, you know... crap.  :P

• CargoCulture likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS