241 replies to this topic

#1 Crabbok

Crabbok

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

http://starwars.com/...a-new-page.html

They are scrapping all teh stories for the EU, but reserve the right to borrow some things from it.  The article mentions a few things they will borrow, such as the Inquisitor, Imperial Security Bureau, and Sienar Fleet Systems.  

Wonder if they will keep Thrawn in the new Canon, perhaps as a cameo at least?

#2 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

Sad news, but not at all unexpected. They could hardly set new stories post-ROTJ without either following the "Heir to the Empire" template or scrapping it completely, and they heavily hinted it was going to be the latter.  :(

• Buhallin and Drakhan Valane like this

#3 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

Sad sad sad day. :(
  • dojimaster likes this

#4 Bohrdumb

Bohrdumb

• Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:31 AM

If they did straight up EU stuff, they'd end up paying a metric arse-ton of money to Zahn. 

• Rhinoviru3 likes this

5 X, 3 B, 2 A, 2 Y, 1 Hwk, 2 Es, 2 Zs

6 TIE, 2 TIE B. 2 Ints, 1 Adv, 1 Defender, 2 Phantoms

#5 Revanchist

Revanchist

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

Then Star Wars really is dead.
Imperial: 5 TIE/ln, 1 TIE/adv, 5 TIE/in, 1 TIE/sa, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Lambda
Rebel: 3 X-wing, 1 Y-wing, 1 A-wing, 1 B-wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."

#6 KnightHammer

KnightHammer

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

Currently looking at my Heir trilogy and Rogue/Wraith squadron books on my shelves, very sad

• Bulwyf likes this

#7 Jaster Mereel

Jaster Mereel

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

As Vorpal said, sad but not unexpected.

I kind of thought they would steam roll the later material (Luke & Mara, the Vong, jedi academy, etc) not because I didn't like it but because it was in the time frame of the new movies.

I was hoping that that most of the Thrawn trilogy would be left intact.  Oh well.

#8 Johdo

Johdo

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

More like reincarnated into something that resembles its former self...except something just isn't right about it...

My Current Fleet...

Spoiler

For a list of SE MI games = http://community.fan...games/?p=795971

#9 JFunk

JFunk

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

:(

This does not get FFG off the hook for the Skipray! You hear me FFG?!

• Tervlon likes this

#10 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

You can still read the books.  They just won't be 100% consistent with the movies.  They will still be in the Star Wars Universe, just its own little pocket universe called fictional inconsistency. 

Compare this to the Marvel / Avenger movies.  There has been soooo much stuff written in the Marvel Universe.  It would be impossible and really not even a good idea to keep it all consistent with the new movies.

I know many people love these stories.  I love the Thrawn books (though I haven't read much past them) I am sure they will take cool stuff from it.  And it fun for fans to find the obscure stuff.

• Buhallin, Drakhan Valane, Aminar and 3 others like this
Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#11 Danthrax

Danthrax

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

I wonder if FFG's non-film ships will be required to have a LEGENDS banner on them. =P

#12 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

except something just isn't right about it...

It's the Micky Mouse ears on Han... ;)

I honestly thought Heir to the Empire would of survived the great EU purge, it happened long enough ago in the time frame of the new movies to not have any huge impact on what they do.

Unless the new movies are set up so there is no such thing as a New Republic...

#13 Jaster Mereel

Jaster Mereel

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

You can still read the books.  They just won't be 100% consistent with the movies.  They will still be in the Star Wars Universe, just its own little pocket universe called fictional inconsistency. 

Yup, that's pretty much what I'll do.  I always picked and chose what was in my own personal canon anyway.  

If the new movies don't completely destroy the Thrawn triology, it will remain canon to me.   :P

• Hrathen likes this

#14 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:53 AM

It'll be alright. Star Wars died when the Vong Came out for me anyway. We'll just get to decide what Canon we like... I just hope that they keep the more Iconic EU characters.(Mara Jade, Jacen and Jaina, the Dathomir Witches, the Hapes Cluster, etc. If they rearrange the entire Universe it'll be worse than just cutting the Thrawn Stories.

#15 Johdo

Johdo

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

except something just isn't right about it...

It's the Micky Mouse ears on Han... ;)

I can't argue that.  Toss in some J.J. Abrams, and your good to go.

My Current Fleet...

Spoiler

For a list of SE MI games = http://community.fan...games/?p=795971

#16 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

Currently looking at my Heir trilogy and Rogue/Wraith squadron books on my shelves, very sad

But you still have the books.  They're not going anywhere.  They even said they're going to keep the more popular EU stuff in print under the Legends imprint.  You're stories still exist.  They're just not going to be the basis of the movies.  Which was never really going to happen anyway.

• DigitalChicanery likes this

#17 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:58 AM

It sounds like they've basically made the EU the Star Wars version of DC's Elseworlds line.

• NotBatman likes this

#18 Stinger07

Stinger07

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

Now, they didn't say they were throwing out anything specifically, More so, they said that they need a blank slate.

They are already picking and pulling from the EU (Just look at clone wars and all of the things that they pulled).

I could see modified history in the period before the Vong.  Anything after that though is probably trashed...  Heir to the empire really could stand by itself with a few changes.

Also, the X-wing series, though big and pivotal, could exist without being destroyed.

They can't disillusion fans too greatly.  Core fans provide great advertising.  

Honestly, I bet we will see the HWK-290, the Tie Phanom, Tie Defender, E-wing, and the Z-95 in other, future products still.

• Black Knight Leader likes this

#19 Red G

Red G

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

Boo. Decades of novels all thrown out for a few movies. They could have just set the new movies 50 years after ROTJ and not had to scrap anything. Well, at least I'll go into the theater for Episode VII not expecting much.

#20 ancientsociety

ancientsociety

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

Of all the garbage in the EU, they decided to retcon the Thrawn trilogy - one of the most well-written, consistent narratives out there!? 

Stupid, stupid move.

For example, elements of the EU are included in Star Wars Rebels. The Inquisitor, the Imperial Security Bureau, and Sienar Fleet Systems 

How are the ISB and Sienar part of the EU? There are ISB members all over the Death Star in ANH and Sienar is the maker of the TIE/ln....

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS