Questions re Nether Realm & Firelands

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 The Hunter

The Hunter

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:07 AM

Just had these expansions delivered in the post yesterday, but have some queries, mainly for confirmation/clarity:

1) If the Assassin faces the Blink enemy, he can't roll a die for his attack roll, but can he still assassinate the Blink (the enemy can't roll for his attack score as well)?

I think he still can.

2) Can the Warlord also conscript followers that must be taken (i.e. if she draws the Hag, can she conscript her and keep her other followers)?

I think she can.

#2 The Hunter

The Hunter

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:20 AM

Couple more questions crossed my mind (on my lunch break at work at mo).

3) The Noble Ifrit cards use both strength and craft, and that you can choose either battle or psychic combat. The rulesheet states that when they are exchanged as trophies, you can choose either strength or craft.

Can this apply to similar cards from previous expansions?

I think it can, except enemies that force you to use either strength or craft when you fought them (or I could be wrong in this aspect and you can choose either with these as well).

[In the past, me and my friends would put a strength or craft counter as a reminder to how the enemy was defeated, then when it came to exchanging them, we would use them for strength if fought in battle or craft if fought in psychic combat]

4) If using the Dungeon expansion, and you are to telport to a space that is no longer on the board due to a terrain card on the space, where does the player go?

#3 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

Just had these expansions delivered in the post yesterday, but have some queries, mainly for confirmation/clarity:

1) If the Assassin faces the Blink enemy, he can't roll a die for his attack roll, but can he still assassinate the Blink (the enemy can't roll for his attack score as well)?

I think he still can.

Sure he can. He can assassinate the Trapper, even when he fails the roll under Craft. I don't see any difference when fighting the Blink.

2) Can the Warlord also conscript followers that must be taken (i.e. if she draws the Hag, can she conscript her and keep her other followers)?

I think she can.

She's probably designed to do that.

Couple more questions crossed my mind (on my lunch break at work at mo).

3) The Noble Ifrit cards use both strength and craft, and that you can choose either battle or psychic combat. The rulesheet states that when they are exchanged as trophies, you can choose either strength or craft.

Can this apply to similar cards from previous expansions?

I think it can, except enemies that force you to use either strength or craft when you fought them (or I could be wrong in this aspect and you can choose either with these as well).

[In the past, me and my friends would put a strength or craft counter as a reminder to how the enemy was defeated, then when it came to exchanging them, we would use them for strength if fought in battle or craft if fought in psychic combat]

I would have enjoyed that the final answer on this question was given by Firelands expansion, but as written the rules cannot be applied to previous expansions. However, until a FAQ says the opposite, I will apply the same ruling to all Enemies with both Strength and Craft (you exchange them as you see fit).

4) If using the Dungeon expansion, and you are to telport to a space that is no longer on the board due to a terrain card on the space, where does the player go?

You follow the same rules for teleporting to spaces with Terrain cards. If the space where you are supposed to move does not exist anymore because it has been Terrain-ed, the teleporting effect is ignored (you stay on the Treasure Chamber).

Edited by The_Warlock, 25 April 2014 - 11:14 AM.

#4 The Hunter

The Hunter

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the answers.

Concerning trophies for enemies with both strength and craft, I remember asking what they can be exchanged for.
The answer I got was that they are exchanged for the ability you fought it with (strength if fought in battle).
Some enemies let you choose, like the Lord of the Pit, but others are beyond one's control, such as the Eastern Dragon that is fought in battle if your strength is lower than your craft.

For now, I'll settle for exchanging as one sees fit (choosing which one unless I misunderstood your statement Warlock; if so, many apologies).

About the Treasure Chamber, if you remain in this space because your destination has been terraformed, what happens on your next turn?

#5 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

For now, I'll settle for exchanging as one sees fit (choosing which one unless I misunderstood your statement Warlock; if so, many apologies).

I'm not making any statements here, just suggesting a consistent way to play. However, you got my idea. :)

As you correctly remember, the typical answer to the question on the forums used to be "you exchange those Trophies for the attribute you defeated them with". The Firelands gives a different rule, but as written it looks valid for the Firelands only.

About the Treasure Chamber, if you remain in this space because your destination has been terraformed, what happens on your next turn?

You should move away in the only possible direction, I suppose.

However, since this a rather unclear situation, it could be useful to have a FAQ for this as well.

#6 The Hunter

The Hunter

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:39 AM

If one can only move away, this suggests a good strategy.
Get some mules and horse and carts so you can carry more than four objects.
Face the Lord of Darkness and hope your destination has been terraformed when you win.
Then move back on your next turn, then try the Lord again and gain another treasure.

#7 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

My two cents. I agree with all of The Warlock's answers. In fact, I think his interpretation of remaining on the Treasure Chamber is within the existing rules even without a FAQ.

Regarding enemies with both a Strength and Craft stat, from all expansions, you're allowed to trade them for anything, regardless of the stat used to defeat it. At least, this is according to email responses I've received and forum posts I've read from the developer who also writes the FAQ. However, it seems more popular to trade for the stat used to defeat it, which is what the digital edition does.

Technically until it's written gospel in the FAQ, I suppose it's hearsay. Which may be why despite my attempts to get it adopted in the digital edition it, hasn't yet. Until it appears in the FAQ, you can play how you wish. I personally trade them in for either Strength or Craft.

#8 adjogi

adjogi

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

I am with Artaterxes on this one. We trade Strength/Craft Enemies in for whichever attribute we like regardless of which attribute we defeated them with.

I know not everyone agrees, but I have always felt that if you can choose what you fight with then you can choose what you trade with.

Welcome to "Monsters & Magic", a NJ based Talisman Game Club!

http://www.njtalisma...onstersandmagic

#9 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

Talisman is a rigorous game (somebody's laughing) :lol: .  Until a FAQ comes out to clarify this and may other things, if the Firelands rules say that I can exchange Ifrits as I like I can assume this is valid for Cerberus and his fellows from previous expansions.

This is not the acknowledged way to play it, but it's a way to play it consistently without making a rule for Reaper and another for Frostmarch and a third one for Firelands.

#10 adjogi

adjogi

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

A valid point.

One rule to bind them all!  ;)

• DomaGB likes this

Welcome to "Monsters & Magic", a NJ based Talisman Game Club!

http://www.njtalisma...onstersandmagic

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS