Photo

Best Product to Remove Existing Paint Jobs?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Imagined Realms

Imagined Realms

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:01 PM

Hi there,

Am thinking of repainting some of my models - just wondering if anyone has any advice re what to use for removing the existing paint jobs (if possible).

I'm in Australia, so any brands available here would be the preference - though I'll take whatever advice I can get!

Thanks in advance.

Come visit me at Imagined Realms.

#2 Patriarch

Patriarch

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

Brake fluid. Leave soaking for a few hours.
Doesn't damage the plastic, though I'd suggest covering the transparent socket with blu-tac to prevent it clouding over.
I've done this to a firespray, shuttle, interceptors and bombers, it works fine.
Simple green has no effect.

#3 Effenhoog

Effenhoog

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

most people just seem to paint over the existing paint.  it's thin and fine details are not lost with the new paint

• Crabbok likes this

#4 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:29 AM

The trick to a repaint is to make sure your paint isn't so thick that it looks like it was applied with a spatula. I've seen some of these great models butchered by a lousy paint job.

And I use brake fluid and an old toothbrush on acrylic paints. It makes the paint just fall off. Doesn't work on enamel paint tho'.

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

3 X-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

#5 Rob Jedi

Rob Jedi

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:38 AM

Just paint over the original, can even spray a thin primer over the factory paint if you want a new base coat to work from, works fine. Don't melt your ships.
  • oneway likes this

Rob_Jedi's Miniature Painting Blog   My Repaints   Armored Hull YT-1300   Imperial Transport

Rebels: Ax3  Bx3  Ex1  CRx1  GRx1  Hx2  Xx6  Yx3  YTx3  Zx6

Empire: FSx3  LSx1  TAx2  TBx2  TDx2  TFx7  TIx7  TPx1 

#6 Khyros

Khyros

Advocate of A & E Wings Everywhere

• Members
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

I have used brake fluid and it works well on X wings.  That said... A fine airbrush cover of white/gray/whatever is your best bet.  

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#7 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

Purple Power from walmart it's like 3 for a gallon it's not toxic and it does not damage pastic. I was able to strip a ton old paint and for the most part the glue even stayed on.

You let the models soak over night and use a tooth brush. Good to go
I have ships,
Pew Pew Pew

#8 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:45 PM

Too much mess stripping these.. just over paint, you will be fine.. many of us have done the same and we have great looking models. Check out the various paint threads. 

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

"Hahaha. Very funny, at least I only hit the enemy target, Ya collateral bastard."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice 181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

#9 EmpireErik

EmpireErik

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

I have heard Simple Green works well. 

Empire: 1x Tie-Defender; 1x Tie-Phantom; 10x Ties; 7x Tie-Int (3 reds; 3 sabers, I int); 6x Tie-Bombers; 1x Firespray; 1x shuttle; 1x tie-adv; 1x slave ship.

Rebels: 5x X-wings; 3x Y-wings; 2x B-wings; 1x A-wing; 1x Falcon; 1x Hawk; 1x E-wing; 5x Z-95s; 1x transport.

#10 Sanchez

Sanchez

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

Simple Green removes the wash and some of the red or blue.  Hit the models afterwards with a light coat of Krylon (or similar) brand of primer and you can paint just fine.  

I'm working on a Falcon and Firespray at the moment. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS