So who has it, Tell us!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 bigity

bigity

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

Just got mine, I found a local copy after all, and would rather buy from a FLGS than Amazon.

I haven't gotten into it much as I'm still at work, but I was dissapointed by the box - I was expecting an actual box like the old days of RPGs, aka a boxed set.  It's a cheap thing that isn't really suitable to carry the contents around in without destroying the thing.

#22 Torg Smith

Torg Smith

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:19 AM

Well, mine is on truck for delivery. I should have it in a couple hours. :D

#23 angelicdoctor

angelicdoctor

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:34 AM

Mine is in transit from Cincinnati, Ohio.  It should be here in Texas hopefully by Saturday of this week.

“Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” - G.K. Chesterton
"Modesty and unselfishness - these are the virtues which men praise - and pass by."  - Andre Maurois

#24 bigity

bigity

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:11 AM

Texas is a big place :P  I was able to find one here in Lubbock thankfully.

#25 ScooterinAB

ScooterinAB

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:08 PM

Got it two days ago and got to give it a looking over last night. Design is terrific (as usual). Pre-Gens are good. Adventure is... not so good. :(

Well, the adventure is kinda good, but it has some massive plot holes in it. In fact, you could go as far as to say it's "all hole". I can usually suspend disbelief for the sake of fun, but this gets a little out of hand. Unfortunately, this carries over into Operation Shadowpoint and anything else these particular PCs might be up to.

The action and the tutorial aspect of the module -which pretty much follow the EotEBB formula- are fine. The plot just left me going "What the ...seriously?!" constantly, and I'm positive it will do the same with anyone I would sit down and play this with. In fact, the second they got an indication as to what was going on, the players would "rebel" against the plot and try to find their own solution.

Spoiler

I can't stress enough that this isn't a slam on the writers. I've tried myself to think of a situation where all of these goals are fulfilled while meeting the requirements of difficulty, length, and price point; and I keep tripping on my own shoes too. It's like saying "I want an all-wheel drive diet football bat."

I think it's recoverable, but I can't run this as-is without serious faceplam factor. I suppose you could run it if you prefaced it with "Look, this makes no sense but we are going to run it just to learn the rules and then forget about it". I don't have this option as my players are familiar enough with the rules (I was getting this mainly for the adventure and the completionist factor), but that is my problem. If you aren't in that boat, I suggest you take the "disposable tutorial" road.

I think I've got a few ideas to patch it up to the point where it runs without rewriting whole chunks of the thing. I'll put that in another topic.

TL:DR:

I didn't like the adventure at all. Everything else was well enough.

I honestly don't see the same problems. Yes, it is a canned adventure that is meant to step a new group through the rules. If you were planning to run this as a normal adventure, a GM would certainly need to redo a few parts, but this is more about Duty and Destiny not being used, or the really railroaded story. While the premise is a little odd (an Imperial officer spying on a Moff), it does show that the Empire is at least a little disfunctional and far less cohesive than we'd think. Everything else is just to keep the whole thing from turning into a homicide slogfest.

I agree that we aren't talking about award winning writing here, nor an adventure that players will be talking about for decades to come. But I disagree that it's as unplayable as you're making it sound.

#26 polyheadronman

polyheadronman

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:28 AM

Got mine Friday in Muskoka, Ontario, Canada.

One of the better changes I see immediately is the inclusion of two additional tokens which represent the additional PCs from the support page.  It was a mild inconvenience finding similar tokens for Mathus and Sasha in the EotE BB.  Happy to see FFG addressed the issue.

Everything else is as expected, now what is this easter egg some folks are referring to?

"Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

#27 Val Donovan

Val Donovan

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

Picked up mine last week sometime.  Planning on using it for Free RPG day.

#28 bigity

bigity

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:50 AM

Got mine Friday in Muskoka, Ontario, Canada.

One of the better changes I see immediately is the inclusion of two additional tokens which represent the additional PCs from the support page.  It was a mild inconvenience finding similar tokens for Mathus and Sasha in the EotE BB.  Happy to see FFG addressed the issue.

Everything else is as expected, now what is this easter egg some folks are referring to?

Yet they didn't include one for the droid, and included a few tokens for what appears to be native jungle residents.

#29 angelicdoctor

angelicdoctor

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:59 PM

The Beginner Game was received last Friday.  My supplier even threw in an extra set of dice at no charge.  Overall, I like it a great deal.  One of the potential problems I noted at the outset upon reading the first encounter is that if I know my players, they will definitely attempt to break into the AT-STs and take the base over by overt force.

Any thoughts as to how to mitigate against this risk?

"Modesty and unselfishness - these are the virtues which men praise - and pass by."  - Andre Maurois

#30 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:57 PM

The Beginner Game was received last Friday.  My supplier even threw in an extra set of dice at no charge.  Overall, I like it a great deal.  One of the potential problems I noted at the outset upon reading the first encounter is that if I know my players, they will definitely attempt to break into the AT-STs and take the base over by overt force.

Well. I doubt the AT-ST's would be able to fit into the tight corridors of the base, and certainly they can shoot at base, but by the time they do any meaningful damage to the structure itself, the imperials inside probably would have called for backup, or otherwise got inside the shuttle and attacked the walkers. Remind the players that their mission is to take over the base so the rebels can use it as a staging point on Onderon (as well as procure the SigInt array). If the imperials catch wind that the base is compromised, the mission is effectively blown.

The main deterrent should be presented through the parameters of the mission.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#31 BillW

BillW

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:33 PM

As kaosoe said, the way to prevent this is simply the mission requirements. While they can surely blast the base with the walkers the mission is not to destroy the base, the mission is to take over the base so it can be used by the party/rebellion. Doing enough damage to wipe out the defenders would effectively destroy the base. Remember the imperials inside the base have no reason to walk out and get shot by the walkers, their best tactic is to stay inside where they are protected by the walls of the base and call for help. Remember the imperial bikes are not far away and could attack the walkers. Also, the commander would have a good chance to escape in the shuttle, which would also cause the mission to fail. If they want to blow up the base, let them, but they will fail the mission goals and will get a reprimand from the rebel higher-ups rather than a reward.

Edited by BillW, 05 May 2014 - 05:39 PM.

#32 angelicdoctor

angelicdoctor

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

Great points.  Many thanks to you both.

• kaosoe likes this

#33 bull30548

bull30548

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:24 PM

Just got it today.  Hooha!

SPACE GUINEA PIGS TO THE RESCUE!!!!!

#34 Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:51 PM

So I decided to run it for my group on Sunday (May The Fourth...). Spoilers to follow:

Spoiler

I suppose it's a good thing that I was running it as a one-off to introduce them to the system, because trying to run Operation Shadowpoint after the way they played the first session would be... problematic for them, to say the least.

Edit: Formatting.

Edited by Yoshiyahu, 05 May 2014 - 09:53 PM.

CorellianCrafts.com is now live! Be sure to check it out for hand-made Star Wars dice bags and accessories!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS