Tips for first time player/OL?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ZSpark

ZSpark

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:08 AM

Hi. I just got this game and plan on playing it soon. I will probably have 3 heroes and have heard the OL is a bit underpowered; but I wanna win! Or at least make it challenging and fun. But I have no experience and neither does my group. We will start in campaign mode from the beginning. Any tips for all of us as new players like how to best teach the game, any resource print offs that may help, ect?

Also I got the splig LP, should I use him/plot deck in first campaign? We are usually good with more complications, rules.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Indalecio

Indalecio

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:22 AM

To give you a short answer, as the OL just make sure you prepare your quests carefully (what the objectives are, so you can get the right focus) and select your open groups in consequence. Once your players have decided which heroes/classes they will be taking, have a peak at their overall strengths and weaknesses so you can pick your OL/plot cards accordingly. Most of this will come with time, after a couple of quests you will have a clear view of which heroes are taking which role, what they are good at or weak against etc. Start with Basis I OL deck first and just spare your first XP until you know where you want to spend them.

But on a general note, as long as you have a feel about the quest and you don't just mess up with everything, you don't have to spend tons of time brainstorming. If the dices fail you you're toast anyway, lol. Just try to make informed decisions with the knowledge and experience you've got and you'll be fine (eg you'll have fun). Experience comes rather fast as an OL, you see which monsters are the better ones, you see which OL cards have done the most job etc.

As a reference, I am running a 3-heroes campaign and a 4-heroes campaign in parallel, and up to now the 3-heroes campaign has been the most balanced by far. I'm not saying 4-heroes games are not as balanced in general (because that's the consensus), but I wouldn't automatically dismiss the idea that you can win some quests just because you only have three heroes to face you.

Edited by Indalecio, 23 April 2014 - 06:25 AM.

#3 Ser Folly

Ser Folly

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:38 AM

I agree with Indalecio. Most important:

1. Keep objective in mind (if you don't have to win encounter one, hold the good cards back)

2. Select open groups so that they suit the objective (fast movement / blocking / etc.)

3. Select open groups so that they hinder the heroes in what they do (Barghasts going for exhaustion when your hero draws on that for his skills)

4. Select Quests so that the heroes get least out of them (uninteresting relics / unwinnable races)

5. Cut your OL deck down to the minimum 15 cards, throw out everything that didn't work well during the last quests

6. Plan your set up well. Keep area effects and possible synergies in mind

There was a similar topic here if you enjoy a good read :D :

http://community.fan...win-in-descent/

Hope that helps. And then try to find advice for the quests in the forum.

Edited by Ser Folly, 23 April 2014 - 06:42 AM.

Descent - Star Wars LCG - Netrunner - X-Wing - Arkham Horror - Elder Sign - Battlestar Galactica - Warhammer: Diskwars - Kingsburg - Edge of the Empire - Civilization - Bloodbowl Teammanager - Rune Age - Letters from Whitechapel - Cadwallon - Lord of the Rings LCG ... looks like I love FFG stuff :huh:

#4 Ser Folly

Ser Folly

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:42 AM

Played SR Campaign against 3 heroes and lost only two quests (some more encounters though) and now started with LoR with 4 heroes and won both quests we've played (but I have to admit, that the first was one thanks to translation mistake on the Goblin Witcher card).

So one can win even in 3 on 1. 

Descent - Star Wars LCG - Netrunner - X-Wing - Arkham Horror - Elder Sign - Battlestar Galactica - Warhammer: Diskwars - Kingsburg - Edge of the Empire - Civilization - Bloodbowl Teammanager - Rune Age - Letters from Whitechapel - Cadwallon - Lord of the Rings LCG ... looks like I love FFG stuff :huh:

#5 mm26

mm26

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

You should absolutely use a lieutenant, Splig or someone else. The plot decks help even out the balance some and make the OL more interesting to play. And the added rules complication is almost nil. The first time you knock down any individual hero in an encounter, you can take an OL card or take a threat. You can use the threat to buy cards. There are 2 costs to buying cards with threat: threat to buy it, which happens between encounters and the threat goes back to the bank, and threat to use it, which happens during encounters and goes to the heroes.

#6 Zaltyre

Zaltyre

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

My current campaign is against heroes who had not previously played the game- I found keeping things simple advantageous. Some expansions were included, but the rumor cards and secret rooms were just added complications to the heroes (though we did use them.) If you want to expand the choices in terms of heroes, classes, monsters, that's great, but I'd recommend you keep the extra mechanics to a minimum, at least the first time through.

#7 BentoSan

BentoSan

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

I disagree that the OL is underpowered, but thats complex discussion for elsewhere.

The best piece of advice that i can give you is to tell you that the biggest resource in this game is actions. To win you need to reduce the amount of actions that the heroes spend achieving the goal (and picking up search tokens). This can be a combination of blocking with monsters, knocking out heroes(its best to time your attacks so you knock out more than 1 on a single turn in my experience) and using trap cards.

Identifying weaknesses and strengths in the heroes in paramount in choosing monsters and overlord cards. In any situation that your heroes have low strength you should immediately consider web-trap, its probably one of the best overlord cards in the game if 3 heroes in the group are low on strength.

Play with 4 heroes, 1 overlord - this gives the game the most fair balance. The game will be easier on the players in a 3 player game and hardest for the players in a 2 player game. I find the game most enjoyable with 3 or 4 heroes.

Think at least 2 turns ahead !On a similar note, think about what the players will do in reaction your own plays.

Theres a psychological aspect to this game, play the game! You want to make the heroes afraid to perform certain actions because of possible consequences. At the same time the way you position your monsters and the things you tell the players can lead them into playing into your plans - while not totally reliable this has worked for me more times than it has not. I also never tell the players that they ever fell for any of my plans... its not fun for them to hear they fell for a trick and they would get wise to future similar tricks.

• ZSpark and Ser Folly like this

#8 Daemon Cow

Daemon Cow

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:43 PM

As far as printable resources, there are a few things which I would recommend (most of which I have gotten from boardgamegeek.com). Firstly, get the FAQ/Errata Rulebook and Cards; these contain all the rules and cards that have been changed by FFG. Secondly, get the Monster Reference; this is a very well compiled .pdf of all the monster profiles (organised by trait) with things such as health, abilities, etc. Next, I would get the Hero Selection Guide and the Character and Class Tables. The first of these Gives an overview of each class and tells you the starting equipment; the second is a table of heroes similar to the aforementioned Monster Reference (in this case, the heroes are organised by class). Lastly, you may want to get the health and fatigue dials; these are printable cut-outs that replace health and fatigue tokens, making your play area less messy. However, some people are really into tokens or they just don't like the dial concept; I'd put these on the low end of my priority list if I were you.

Here are all of the links for the things I've mentioned (a Board Game Geek account will be necessary to download them). You will also find tons of other print-outs at BGG, but I think these are the best ones.

Errata Rules: http://www.fantasyfl...on FAQ_v1.2.pdf

Errata Card Faces: http://boardgamegeek...fficial-errata\

Monster Reference: http://boardgamegeek...nster-reference

Hero Selection Guide: http://boardgamegeek...-edition-hero-s

Hero Tables: http://boardgamegeek...nd-class-tables

Health and Fatigue: http://boardgamegeek...igue-counter-v1

I hope you find these helpul.

• walkinstube likes this

#9 ZSpark

ZSpark

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

Ok, after first read through of instructions I have a question:

1.  Shadow Rune Campaign:  I assume that the first quests (after the introduction) is chosen by the Overlord out of the 5 possible Act 1 quest.  Am I correct in this statement?

#10 Demoncow

Demoncow

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

It is chosen by the winner of first blood (winner, not whiner).
  • ZSpark and Ser Folly like this
Demoncow: He who has become a marauder.

#11 ZSpark

ZSpark

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

Ok, I have another question after our first play session.  We played both First Blood (won by heroes) and then Cardinals Plight Encounter 1 & 2 (Hero Victory).   In the 2nd Encounter does the LT Lord Farrow start with no wounds or with all the wounds he still had from encounter 1?  We didn't feel like finding it so we just let him carry over the wounds from the 1st encounter like the heroes.

#12 BentoSan

BentoSan

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

his wounds refresh between encounters

#13 ZSpark

ZSpark

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

his wounds refresh between encounters

Oh well that would have changed things! I won the 1st encounter as Overlord, Started with 4 minion zombies attacking cardinal.  Farrow had 10/11 health the whole last encounter (3 Heroes).  because they only had 1 more wound to make in the Encounter 1.  Oh well.  We were trying to hurry and didn't feel like looking up the rule.  We just assumed that since the heroes kept their wounds, that LT kept his as well.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS