• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

Hey all,

It seems there are four endings that come with The Dragon: the campaign against the Draconic Lords, as well as Dragon Slayers, Domain of Dragons, and Dragon King. Consider that the Dragon Realm requires dragon scales to be placed on Draconic Lord cards to calculate the difficulty of its spaces, and the Dragon Tower requires a Dragon King to determine the deck for encounters.

My question relates to how different endings are compatible with the two sides of the board.

The Draconic Lord campaign, of course, is compatible with both sides as it uses dragon scales (cycled as the Dragon King changes) and always has a Dragon King.

Dragon Slayers uses dragon scales (as life counters), but does not have a Dragon King. This ending seems compatible with the Dragon Realm, but not the Dragon Tower.

Domain of Dragons has a predetermined Dragon King, but does not use dragon scales. This ending seems compatible with the Dragon Tower, but not the Dragon Realm.

Dragon King and all other alternative endings have neither a Dragon King (referring to a Draconic Lord King) nor use dragon scales. These endings seem incompatible with both the Dragon Tower and the Dragon Realm.

So, this is how we play it. Before each Talisman game, we decide if we want to play the Draconic Lord campaign, and if so, we use either side of the overlay. If not, we include the three alternative endings among the rest. If Dragon Slayers is drawn, we use the Dragon Realm. If Domain of Dragons is drawn, we use the Dragon Tower. If any other ending is drawn, we don't use the Inner Region overlay.

Does this sound correct? Is there an oversight somewhere? I should say that we would like to use this approach, as we have always avoided the Inner Region board with any ending except the Draconic Lord campaign, but we are wondering if this would be correct.

Thanks!

#2 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:11 AM

This is a good analysis.

Consider that both Dragon Slayers and Domain of Dragons are meant to be played as Revealed variants, so they allow you to adjust the game before you start.

Dragon Slayers uses scales as you say, but only as life counters for the bosses. There is no way to draw Dragon cards with this Ending, nor for the characters to gain dragon scales. You may think it's possible to combine Dragon Slayers with the standard Dragon game (drawing tokens each turn, crowning the Dragon King, etc...), provided you keep the 5 scales on each Draconic Lord separate from the rest of scales management. Then if you count ALL scales on Draconic Lords, for the purpose of modifying rolls in the Dragon Realm, it's probably too much. If you don't want to play like that, then this is only a triple boss Ending for a normal Talisman game.

Domain of Dragons is an alternative way to bring Dragon cards into play, with a predetermined Dragon King. It says how to deal with most effects but has some unclear instances. However, Dragon Tower is applicable, but Dragon Realm will probably not be worth it (no way to modify the rolls).

Dragon King is a "normal" Alternative Ending that does not suppose you to play with any rules from the Dragon Expansion. It should be mixed with the other Endings you use when playing normal Talisman games.

I hope we'll get some hints about the various open questions on these Endings in the next FAQ, when (if) it comes.

#3 JediKnightAmoeba

JediKnightAmoeba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:16 AM

I hope we'll get some hints about the various open questions on these Endings in the next FAQ, when (if) it comes.

An updated FAQ?  HAH, that's funny!  

Seriously though I wish someone would at least throw us a bone and say they are working on putting one together.  Maybe a sticky thread at the top of the Forum with all FAQ's compiled from all these posts so a Newbie can find all these questions that come up......

• DomaGB likes this

#4 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:26 AM

Sam Bailey says the new FAQ is coming. He's probably just busy designing the next expansion!

#5 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:16 PM

I was gonna bring it up, and kept forgetting, but I agree someone should gather all the needed answers in one place.

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS